Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

left cv has 1 inch of play ? 660 grizzly

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2001, 08:54 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

know there was a topic before on this did searcn no luck. can anybody give me the lowdown. like does yamaha know about this. if anybody had theres fixed how long did it take and do they have the parts in stock. hoping to ride this weekend. went to check the alingment and i was able to pull the cv joint back and forth a inch.

Old 12-13-2001, 09:30 PM
Pro Rider

If you click customize, you can see posts earlier than 20 days old or less. I remember reading those CV joint posts early Nov or so. Everything earlier than Nov 23 is not visible unless you customize, then you can go back firther. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

If I remember right, it was a machining error and yamaha has larger clips to fix it. All it takes is a good dealer who is in the know on this model and they will have it fixed up real nice.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

good luck.

Old 12-13-2001, 09:40 PM
Trailblazer

thanks i backed tracked too could not find the post. anybody out there that had this problem whats the deal and did they have the clip or whatever in stock. i guess i better get the ext warranty since this is a 1st year model and 6 months goes pretty fast but something like this should still be covered even after the 6 months are up .

Old 12-13-2001, 11:38 PM
Pro Rider

Johnpaul~

Before I delve into your post, first let me flatly state that I LOVE my 660 Grizz, and would repurchase this machine again, again, and again (only through a different dealer). This quad is incredible, and I've never been happier, overall.

Now, from everything I've read, yes there are '02 Grizz's out there that have a problem where the front left axle will pull out easily. The other three are tight, as they should be, and as are any other fully independent suspensioned machines.

Getting this problem fixed, however, looks to require an act of God or a very reputable dealer who takes customer satisfaction seriously. My Grizz has this issue, and from everything I've read it's a .60 cent Cir Clip. No big deal. Considering that I paid full MSRP, and my Grizz is only 2 months old, I took it to my dealer to have it fixed. My dealer, Kootenia Saw & Cycle, informed me that they've never encountered such a problem before (hard to believe, but I did give them the benefit of the doubt at this early stage in the game)and they told me that they would call Yamaha's tech line and inquire to this issue, and would call me back. Two weeks passed and after receiving no phone call, I called them. I was told: "Yamaha states there is no problem, and we don't see a problem. If it falls out while your riding it; that's a problem."

After conferring with an individuel on this forum, who's advice I place in high regard, I called the dealership back, talked to the saleswoman and told her I wanted Yamaha's customer service number to file a complaint about this, because it is a "problem" and needs to be fixed. She transfered me to the service tech, and he said he would support me 100% if I wanted to confront Yamaha. (nice the way this dealer goes to bat for the customer, huh?) I called Yamaha's customer service, told them what was going on, they called my dealer and called me back. I was told my dealer was "too busy to get into this issue, but they'd call Yamaha back when they had the time". After another day, I called Yamaha again, and surprise, surprise, no call back from my dealer. She called them, they told her they would contact their regional tech support, discuss this issue, and then get back to Yamaha. (This is what you call 100% support)

She then told me when they do this, she will let me know Yamaha's position. I got rather irritated, and said that their position should be to fix a 2 month old, $7,000.00+ machine's .60 cent problem. She then informed me that this issue is borderline, and may be difficult to "prove" it's Yamaha's fault, so may not fall under their warrenty clause, and I should spend more time reading it.

At this point, I've spent almost $14,000.00, CASH, on '02 Yamaha ATV's this fall. I told her that, and said I damn well better be taken care of. She was at best, curt, at worst, patronizing.

My take:

Yamaha makes an excellent quad, but their dealers in my area leave a tremendous amount to be desired, and will never get another red cent of mine. Which is why I bought the new kodiak in Canada, the Canadian dealers I've dealt with have been incredible. Oh, and at least in my area, the threat of the local dealer not performing "warrenty" service on a Canadian purchased Yamaha ATV, is an empty threat. They don't perform "warrenty" service on a US purchased Yamaha ATV bought from their own store.

NEVER buy their extended warrenty. If they will not fix a 60 cent cir clip on a brand new machine, imagine how hard it would be to get them to fix =anything= major.

My local dealer has lost all my business, and Yamaha's trying to do the same. Thank God they do build good ATV's, if they didn't I would really be upset. I own my own company, and do all right for myself. I can tell you that while I obviosly don't have the money to fight Yamaha should they decide to side with my dealer, I will have my attorney file papers against them in the State of Idaho, as well as every other business watch dog group I can find. Money isn't the issue here, but principle most certainly is.

If they don't take care of my Grizz, I will fix it myself, because it isn't right, but I will fight this thing to the end.

Again, everyone, please don't flame me about lacking brand loyalty. As I said at the beginning of this post, I love my machine, and wouldn't have anything other then it. I like this Yamaha so much, I bought my wife a new Kodiak. It is the unbelievable lack of warrenty support from my local dealer and Yamaha that floors me.

SilverBear

Old 12-14-2001, 12:03 AM
Trailblazer

wow im sorry to hear you had that much of a problem. buying two machines and all, you would think they would of been more helpful. i will be calling some local dealers and yamaha customer sevice tommorow and see what the deal is.
did any body else out there have little better luck then are buddy.can't believe company that big woulld hasely you like that . call around tommorow and let you know what they say .

Old 12-14-2001, 12:22 AM
Pro Rider

Johnpaul~

Keep me posted. I know there are good dealers out there that would take care of their customers, just not where I live. Good luck, and please keep me informed on how you're treated with this issue.

Happy Holidays,

SilverBear

Old 12-14-2001, 01:23 AM
Trailblazer

no problem should have a answer tommorow night.did you ever ride the machine that way.

Old 12-14-2001, 08:42 AM
Trailblazer

did anybody have this problem and how long did it take them to fix the thing.

Old 12-14-2001, 10:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

I noticed that my left, front axle moved way too much one day while I was washing it. It was time to get the valves adjusted so I let the dealer know when I took it in. They had it 5 days and I picked it up with freshly adjusted valves and a new (it think thicker) clip on the axle. I rode it for 18 miles and the axle was loose again. I called the next day (it was about 3 hours before closing on a Saturday)and the service manager asked me to bring it in if I had time that day. I loaded it up and took it in and they started working on it on Monday. They took the whole front diff apart to check the grooves (that the clip ring snaps into) on both the diff carrier and the axle. The groove in the diff was within spec, but the one in the axle was a little bit too deep and wasn't allowing the clip to seat properly. They ordered a whole new axle from Yamaha and replaced the old one. This time they had it like 12 days. They ordered parts at two different times so most of the time was spent waiting on them. I got the bike back and have put 75-80 rough miles on it and the axle is still nice and tight just like the other three. All the work was done under warranty, and not once did I hear anything like "I've never heard of anything like that before". I didn't even buy my Grizz at this place either. I was going to but I went somewhere else that was farther away because they didn't know when they would get another red one and thats what I wanted. They were still happy (or at least pretended to be) to help me though. All in all, everything was done to my satisfaction and I am happy with them so far. The dealer is WHEELS FOR FUN in Louisville, Ky. They are a Yamaha and Kawasaki dealer and sell street bikes, dirt bikes, watercraft, atvs, mules, etc....

Old 12-14-2001, 11:02 AM
Pro Rider

Bonedaddy~

Thanks for the information! I will use that, as it's more detailed and will allow me to be more specific. I also appreciate the name of a dealer that took care of you! I certainly don't want people to think that I don't care for any Yamaha dealer, because that's not the case...it's my local dealer that is the problem. They should have taken the Grizz in, and, well, heck did what your dealer did. Figure out why it's a problem and and fix it.

Thanks again!

SilverBear

P.S., if you don't mind would you email me your name and name of dealer, I am starting a list of all people with 'O2 Grizzes who have this problem, and who has had it fixed and who has been jerked around like I have. My email address is: jeff@thebillingoffice.com
Johnpaul~yes mine came this way, and I had ridden it like this before I found out about the problem.

Quick Reply: left cv has 1 inch of play ? 660 grizzly