Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

GRIZZ SWAY BAR

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2002, 10:33 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll let you guys know how the pre-load adjustments go. I'm running 26" Titan 589 M/T's, but soon to get set of 27" instead. How are you guys making out with your pre-load settings? I think I'll start with 2 clicks up from stock setting to see the difference.

Largest problem I noticed at stock setting is that I bottom out the front shocks pretty easily. I only weigh 185# too.

Old 01-10-2002, 10:56 AM
Trailblazer

...interesting that your front end is bottoming out. I only weigh 10#'s more than you, ride on old RR tracks that are bumpier than hell and I have yet to do it. Conversely, I have driven a SP500 on the same tracks and continuously bottomed out.

Possibly your shocks are more broken-in than mine. How many miles on your machine? Do you have a winch installed as well?

As far a preload settings go, you will notice an immediate difference. Unfortunately, I do not have a lot of miles logged with my latest settings (all the way up in the back and second to highest in front). The little amount of riding that I have done has been much improved since I removed the sway bar. I will update this post once I get a full day in.

Old 01-11-2002, 01:16 AM
Pro Rider

NYMudder~

Wow, I weigh 195# and have never bottomed out my fronts on the 27" Claws with the stock preload settings. Do you have alot of miles on your Grizz? I've heard the shocks do relax over time as they wear in.

SilverBear

Old 01-11-2002, 02:02 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

No, mine was a 99 model. The year they put the 26x10.5-12 tires on them, and the only year. Too wide in front, and it steered like crap. Not good traction in some places too. I had a short muddy hill that I had used to have to work like hell to get up on the AC with those tires. My 2wd Honda 300 would go right up it every time easier, and it just had 12" wide wal-mart Carlisle Turfbusters on the rear. Sad when the 2wd outdoes the 4wd, but I witnessed it, and did it about 6-7 times again to prove my eyes were seeing this. Also another proof about that limited slip bull crap that you hear so much about. I've heard a million (well, 30-40) people sit and say they always have all 4 wheels pulling. Yeah, when they are all on the ground. The locked Grizz with crap stockers can do stuff the Clawed out AC couldn't dream of. Man was I glad Yamaha made an IRS quad with a locking diff. I waited a long time for that bike to come out, and I have been nothing less than impressed with it. I thought about jumping on that Prairie when it came out, but didn't have the cash at the time, and still wanted to see something new with IRS. Yamaha delivered.

Our weather here is weird. Right in the middle of the jet stream and we get all kinds. Hotter than hell sometimes in the summer and cold and snowy sometimes in the winter. I remember in 95 one night I was throwing a football outside the apartment at college with my roommate and it was 65 degrees outside at like 5pm. The next morning we were sitting *** deep in snow watching the Razorbacks play Northeast Louisiana. Hard to predict.