Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Wolverine owners, What do you think about this ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2000, 02:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello guys, I'm thinking hard about getting a 00 Wolverine 4x4, but I'm concerned about in being able to handling the low RPM chores. Things like pulling, towing and basic mud riding. I know that the wolverine has the same top end design as the warrior and that it has a good top end but, I was wondering does it have enough low end torque to do the above type jobs ??? I do want good hunting and scouting bike but, I also like to have fun going fast riding on the trails and hills. (I know I'm asking for a lot here!} Next week I will be going to test ride the 00 Wolverine and a 00 4x4 Big Bear at the dealer. But I don't think that I will be able to tell anything about the low end rpm's just by test riding it. Any comments or ideas from Wolverine owners will give me some insight as to how this bike can be used. I'll take the good and bad points into conserderation on making my choice. Let me hear from you Wolverine guys, What do you guy's think? Again I'm not talking about BIG mud holes. Just what you might incounter on the trails while hunting or joy riding. And chores like towing a 4x8 trailer around and pulling things such as fallen trees, poles, etc... I will give the 00 Big Bear 4x4 a good look too, but I know I will not be able to really test ride it like I what or need to check out its top end, speed wise. Being that the 00 Wolverine 4x4 cost $4899 and the 00 Big Bear 4x4 cost $4799 {My dealer quote.} makes my choice that much harder. I'm just trying to make the best choice and think of all options. So any help or comments will be helpful to me. Thanks Foots.

Old 02-06-2000, 03:44 PM
Trailblazer

Well I bought mine in august, so i had it during hunting season. I went on a weekend hunt in eastern NC where they had all the bad flooding. Well there was plenty of mud and water that i went through with no problems with a passenger on the back plus tree stands. So as far as my opinion goes it did exactly what was expected. I also have a 5x8 trailer that i pull with my wolverine loaded with other quads, generators, gas, and all the other things that we take riding. Then when its time to play it can do that to. So in my opinion and for what i want to do it was perfect for me. I guess you'll just have to make the hard decisions now. By the way thats a good price. I got ripped on mine i paid $5500 for it. Anyways good luck.

Old 02-06-2000, 09:11 PM
Range Rover

I have a 95 wolverine that is almost identical to the 2000 model other than the carb and color. I love the bike and wouldnt replace it with
anything . It has good low end power but I wouldnt class it as a pulling bike because its geared too high. First gear in it is about the same as second in a big bear. I know this because my
previous bike was a big bear. I liked the big bear
more for a work bike because it has a lot of low end grunt because they're geared low. But I find they handle like a truck. If you try to drive them aggressively they will tear the arms off you. When you're on one you defenitely know its a 4x4 cause I found they steer hard. The wolverine steers like a 2 wheel drive bike . The difference is amazing considering they are similar bikes in design .My opinion is that if you want a pure work bike the big bear is the bike for you. But if you want to work a little bit and play a lot the wolverine is a better choice. My other big beef with the big bear is it would only go about 45-48mph which isnt bad on trails, but you get left behind pretty bad on the dirt roads (other than a 300 Fortrax) .I have no problem being left behind now becaose my wolverine will do about 61-62 mph with the mods I,ve done to it. A stock one will go about 55mph.

Old 02-07-2000, 02:59 PM
Pro Rider

Foots,
I have a 99' Wolverine and I love it. I used it this last year pulling trees around that we cut down to get them out of the way. I was just dragging them around on the ground not a trailer. Now these trees were not huge oak trees or anything. They were any where from 10" to 12" diameter and about 20' tall. If you do a lot of pulling just make sure you keep up on your oil changes and the regular maintance.

Thanks
jcsact
99 Wolverine, DG skid plates, K&N Filter and jet kit

Old 02-07-2000, 11:03 PM
Range Rover

I own a 2000 Yamaha Wolverine and i love it. I haven't really done all that much towing execept i have had to pull my friend's Honda 200 out of a creek while the motor wasn't running and it pulled it with ease. So if you want a ATV just for work the Big Bear would be better. But if you want an Atv for sport and work then the wolverine would be more in that area