Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Dirt Wheels Raptor pipe shootout

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2002, 10:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey velociraptor,

What is your elevation??

I just installed a Yoshamura full Comp Stainless pipe, K&N air filter and jetted it using the DynoJet kit. The new pipe isn't THAT loud but I really didn't feal that I achieved much in the way of top end, which was my goal. Stock, it ran approx 72 and I haven't gained much at all. Stock jetting is 140 (Left) & 145 (Right), I am up to 155 (Left) & 160 (Right). Yosh recommended 150 & 155 with the pipe and an airbox modification. DynoJet says that I am way over and need to take it down to 146 & 148 and that is with a full pipe.

I have been talking to Sandgod4 on another board and he has given me some good advice. I am posting this here because there is a lot more action on this board than over there. Also because I noticed a guy up a few postings has the same set up as me. Am seriously considering swapping out my jets and using the 146/148.

My machine is running smooth, but I haven't had a chance to run any of my friends on their Cannondales yet to see if I have made any improvements. I know I didn't get what I wanted top end.

What do you guys think?? I am around 900 ft. (not to dis-credit Sandgod4)

GregV

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

2002 Raptor
K&N Filter Charger
Shock Covers (front & rear)
DG Aluminum Nerf Bars
Headlight Guards (black)
Sand Devils (20-11-10) ITP .190
Dune Trackers (21-8-10) ITP .190
Trail Tech Speedometer
Billet Aluminum Mount for Speedometer & Bar mount
Polished Aluminum Bumper
DG Sub Frame Guards (polished Aluminum)
DynoJet Stage 2 Kit
Kill Switch
Yoshimura RS-3 Comp TEC (Stainless & Aluminum)
GYT Polished Aluminum Grab Bar & Skid Plate
-----------
2002 Polaris Scrambler X (Wifes ride)
-----------
2000 Polaris Scrambler 500 4x4 (for when I want to get dirty)
(with K1500 Superwench for those times when I get a little too randy)

Old 01-07-2002, 06:39 AM
Pro Rider

Raptor720 - You're right! They never did tell us how they measured noise.

As for Oregon, I got this from one website:
As defined by state and federal law, vehicle sound is measured by a decibel meter 20 inches and 45 degrees from the exhaust outlet. For ATV's and motorcycles the test is performed at 50% of manufacturer's RPM recommendation.

Old 01-07-2002, 11:19 AM
Pro Rider

Well, for Oregon, it looks like a tough issue for the Raptor and CrackNFails. Since the manufacturers have set the rpm limit so high, that is a problem.

One thing the pipe builders should consider to help reduce the projected noise. Make the exhaust turn down with a 90 degree tip. Sure it would cost them $1.00 more but this would direct the sound into the ground not into the air. Just a thought.

Old 01-07-2002, 12:15 PM
Pro Rider

For the Oregon Dunes the limit is 93db. If the stock pipe runs at 92db I dont see any aftermarket pipe that will be legal. Anyone run a dyno of a stock unmodified exhaust system with an unlidded airbox to see if there's any performance gain to be had without an aftermarket pipe?

Old 01-08-2002, 08:59 PM
Pro Rider
Old 01-08-2002, 09:12 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry 45, that stock baffle is a killer. Perhaps you can take the stock pipe, add a Trinity reflective silencer and a 90 degree turn down and get by in Oregon. If not, at least you can out run them.

Aside from that, here is more stuff on the DW test.... Regardless of what is actually printed, I have noticed that most people just look at the graphs and make their decision. In addition, when a manufacturer states a recommended configuration, it is usually intended to be a baseline. In the real world, each person, depending on altitude and riding conditions, will need to modify the baseline jetting and air box configuration for maximum safe performance. -- Do you really think each manufacturer was told that Alan would be doing the test or what altitude the test would be performed??
Here is an example of why the jetting was baseline. If I was riding in sand, I would look for a K&N filter and Outterwear. If I was riding in wet and muddy conditions, I would use a foam filter with a lid. In either case, I would jet for the conditions.
So, when DW (Alan) said that they "just used the manufacturer's recommendations," when they clearly knew that the results would be off at best, it was not a fair test. It is also bad that they did not use a dyno that could also graph the fuel and air conditions.
I also want to point one of my major beefs with CT in general. On their own web site, they show a stock Raptor's baseline hp and then show the gain from their CT pipe (instead of a tip only system After all, they are trying to show the benefit of their full pipe arn't they??).
What DW or CT should have compared was the tip only systems to the full pipe ESPECIALLY when we are talking pipes on a stock Raptor. Reason why it was not done??? I suspect the tip only with proper jetting would out torque the full pipe -- heck just use the stock system, remove the baffel, air box lid and rejet and see what happens. Result >> more torque where you need it.

Old 01-08-2002, 09:24 PM
Pro Rider

Now all of this discussion leads me back to the CT pipe for an aftermarket solution. According to CT it should make the 93db with about 6 discs. Of course they couldnt tell me how much power it would make in this configuration. Certainly less than the 49-ish of the 16 discs. I wonder if there would be any advantage at all over stock? My pipe must also be spark arrested, is trinity's? This danged 93db restriction is just too danged strict.

Old 01-08-2002, 10:04 PM
Pro Rider

All the pipes tested were spark arrested. I believe that is why the DMC was not tested.

I am not saying you need the Trinity pipe, just try to get their reflective silencer and adapt it to a stock pipe or tip and add a 90 degree turn down. Even if you are over the noise level, I doubt many people will notice since the sound will be directed to the ground.

Old 01-08-2002, 11:28 PM
Pro Rider

Hey why is there a 686 for a Raptor but not a 678 for a Bomb. I think that should be the stage 1. I slight bore, carb K&N, cams and a piston along with a pipe should be yield nice gains. And you dont have the split the cases.

Old 01-09-2002, 07:46 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with Raptor720 totally!! This So called pipe shoot-out shouldn't have even been posted !! I don't see any info that is even the least bit useful. In my opinion the Pro Circuit T4 looks to be a pretty good pipe. 42.9 HP with NO air box mods ( not even the baffles cut out ) and Probably it was over jetted to boot at 150 155. I would bet it would pick up atlest 4 HP with no lid and a Pro Design kit and K&N filter, Plus it looks way better then the ones that stick out there a foot by the fender. How about the GYT-R? Why wasn't that included? It has a spark arrestor and the head pipe is now available!!!
CT is also the same people that mislead us with a stock dyno graph of a Raptor at 33 HP ( A CALI. RAPTOR ) and adding their pipe would get you 48 HP !! Not without changing the CDI box too !!!! Another 250$

Quick Reply: Dirt Wheels Raptor pipe shootout