Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor lawsuit

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2002, 08:04 PM
The Facility
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The three wheelers weren't a safety hazard, but the people who rode them and got hurt, blaming the manufacturers were.

Should Mustangs or Camaros be banned because of people driving them fast and having an accident, hurting someone in the process? Should Ford or Cheverolet be responsible?

Should all SUVs be banned and their maker's sued because they aren't as stable as a car?

I know this doesn't have anything to do with the issue of whether or not the Raptor transmission could be dubbed unsafe, but has everything to do with the statements of machines being unsafe when the real problem is the person behind the handlebars getting mad as hell because he didnt handle the machine within his or the machine's capabilities.

KNOWSALOT

Old 01-12-2002, 11:40 PM
Pro Rider

i dont remember anyone saying there going to sue because they got hurt? they just want there darn tranny fixed. hows the warrenty work? does yamaha pick up the full price to replace a bad tranny if under warrenty? i thought i read you have to pay labor? if i was under warrenty and they wouldnt pick up the tab i would sue. i dont want to shell out $1000.00 because they put in a bad tranny. cannondale fixed all there problems did they go under and end all sport ATVS? the 3 wheeler thing was B U LL anyways. more people get hurt everyday on dirtbikes and you dont see anyone going under for that. anyways if a bike is under warrenty they should pick up the whole tab,if not pay the price or better yet ride cannondale or honda and let the raptor die out [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-13-2002, 01:15 AM
Pro Rider

I test rode a new 01' Raptor at a dealership, I was test riding it next door where they was building a new store, at the top of the bank where I was riding I rolled over the top and downshifted from 3rd to 2nd to shoot a roost off the top and the thing made a clank sound and locked up, I thought that was it and that thing was mine now for sure, but the sales man told me that the dealer would take care of it. I never did find out what happened to it. It was a awesome ride ,but my I decided to get a 4-wheel drive instead since most of my riding is slow and live on a farm, but I think when I get my income tax back I'm going to go get one or a used quadzilla so I have the best of both worlds.

Old 01-13-2002, 02:00 AM
Range Rover

awesome! bustin up the dealers quad, now you cant tell me that they dont know there's a problem, hell this was on a brand spankin new quad, but all the dealers are trying to move the 01's right now, ask 'em about the tranny problem and they clam up! i'll pay the extra to get the 02, only because i didnt have the green to get one last year!

Old 01-13-2002, 02:12 AM
Pro Rider

I don't know if it was the tranny or not, all I know is when I dumped the clutch the thing stopped cold, I was really afraid that I was going to have to pay for it.

Old 01-13-2002, 08:41 AM
Pro Rider

noone has looked at the real story here! how much do you think yamaha makes a year off of the quads they make? does anyone really think yamaha will be saying that there gunna stop making raptors couse there trannys suck? can you even convince yourselfs that a class action lawsuit will take yamaha to there knees?lol. i dont own a raptor, almost did, but bought a 4x4 instead. if i had one and it had a tranny problem, then i sure would try for a class action lawsuit though. the cost to yamaha would be about 1/4 of what it would cost us to replace the trannys, so do it. companys can and should be held accountable for there flaws! and if anyone here thinks, even for a minute, that yamaha will say, ( lets stop making quads, and that will show them,) there not thinking clearly. no company gives up a line of murchandice that makes the company money!!! no company!!! a class action lawsuit will only make yamaha stand up and take notice on there flaws on there bikes. not reconizing a problem, or even worse, not responding to it out of fear, is like buring your head in the sand and hoping noone looks your way. good luck with the raptor, cose i think it is an ausome machine, and yamaha should see where there bread is buttered!!!

my pictures

Old 01-13-2002, 11:28 AM
Range Rover

Well allright you've got me convinced. My thoughts were stated earlier by someone else, when he said we dont want to get the ball rolling for these eco-**** stoners. I think it would be great if this idea worked out. As long as it was to fix the tranny's, and not to sue for negligence. Thats where the big money comes in, and thats why the 250r only had a 4 yr. run. They decided it was too much of a liability, and you dont think honda sold a s***load of them? Dont tell me it couldnt happen because history has a way of repeating itself. What i do think is that yamaha must of realized it was a crappy design, why else would they change it for the second year production run? Should they recall it? I would think if enough people with this problem contacted yamaha, and it is in fact more than the "1% or less of raptors" with tranny problems then they should recall it.

Didn't polaris just recall they're 5 spd. for problems with tranny possibly locking up? I know if I owned one I'd be pissed off too, but i think everyone with this problem needs to contact Yamaha directly, i know i have seen the phone # in a post somewhere. It seems to me that it varies with the dealer.

Old 01-13-2002, 08:42 PM
Trailblazer

Thankfully some people that have replied to this post have seen the light. The suit would have nothing to do with people getting HURT or trying to STOP the company from making sport quads (get real). It would be a matter of making YAMAHA acknowledge that there is a problem and to fix the damn thing. Wow, it's really amazing how people get off the subject, talking about things that have nothing to do with the original post.

Old 01-13-2002, 10:04 PM
Range Rover

well raptordan, i think this thread took a wrong turn when somebody said something about "all i want them to do is fix my quad and put ME back to together" or something along them lines, fix the quad? that should have been done a year ago. Start paying medical bills too? thats the kicker that really got people talking about the late 80's all over again, Why do you think they quit making sport quads then? Bad Valve Stems? NO! People were suing because they were getting hurt and they're families were suing if they got killed. Manufactures fault? NO! But they still got to pay for it didnt they, On a lighter note however look at all those pretty warning labels we get when we purchase a new quad, aren't they lovely! I think the petition thing was a great idea, but i would think before its all said and done, Yamaha will have to do something to fix this problem. (that is if they want repeat customers)

and lets not forget what kept the raptor from winning the BAJA 2000, the standard issue GRENADING TRANSMISSION, irony at its finest.

Old 01-14-2002, 12:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

Guys I hear What all of you are saying but until
you drop 6,800 dollars on a quad you won`t understand
any of this I think every person that bought a 01 Raptor
should cry to as many PPL as they can until Yamaha
Recalls an fixes every single one they sold! I bought
mine 3 months ago an so far have not had any probs but
when i do and I will every other person who has 01 Raptor
has had some kind of tranny prob, if not yet its coming!
I`m going to cut up like a chainsaw if they don`t fix mine!
The day I bought mine I ask the dealer if they had any tranny probs
an they said no they have never heard of anything like that
2 months later it is in dirt wheels mag? and they didn`t know they were
selling craptors? uh I disagree. I think every one should write yamaha
a letter an threatn to take there business some where esle an
I bet you it will be a whole new Ball game then!

Quick Reply: Raptor lawsuit