Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

can the blaster wheelie? in what gears without the clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2002, 11:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

getting a new quad in the spring, im all over talking about a 400ex or a banshee but i almost forgot! the BLASTER! the blaster is to think about as long as it can wheelie... i have a few q's>>>>>>>>>>>

im 14 i weigh 190lbs im 5'8, sorta chubby i could say!

can the blaster wheelie?
in what gears without the clutc?
whats the top speed?
does it have power?
hows the suspention for small jumps?(10-20 footers)
good in woods, tight trails?
whats the torque like?
best pipe with k&n filter?

im not going to race, just rec. some little jumps like 10-20 footers NOTHING huge, is it fun? any flaws? i heard something about the brakes suck is it true? whats the top speed? how longs it take to get to its top speed? blaster vs.400ex STOCK is it possible? how often do i have to repair the engine?

Old 01-28-2002, 12:17 AM
Range Rover

ok, Im 16, 6'3",and about 240 pounds. I have ridden my friends blaster on a motocross track. I had more fun on it than I did on my yz250. Its small and pretty quick, i did hit my knees ocasionally, but it was nothing big. I could do most of the jumps, th only one I didnt try ws a 60 foot long step up. The only complaints i had aboutit wer the brakes really sucking, and the rear shock bottoming out two or three times(out of two days worth of riding), as long as you land on all four wheels its pretty hard to bottom it out. While I was in first and second gear, all I had to do to bring the front end up was sit back on the very back of the seat and hit the gas. If I were you, I'd get the blaster, with a few things like a plus 2" swing arm and a hydrolic rear brake, it would be a very nice machine.

Old 01-28-2002, 12:56 AM
Pro Rider

Blasters are a lot of fun.

It was my first quad back in '93 I bought a used blaster, it was what I could afford. I was about 6'2" and 250. I definetly overloaded the bike. But it could do everything and did most of it well.

The brakes do suck. But I could usually stop when needed. I am going from memory. My blaster had an fmf pipe and sounded really nice and ran really strong. I only had it for about 3-4 months, as I got the bug and traded it in on a new banshee. But I still have fond memories of that old blaster.

I would say in its category and for the money it is one of the better deals out there. I am now a fan of the new big bore 4 strokes and will most likely never go back. But I still like the 2 stroke sound, power and smell.

Well anyway you go you will be pleased.

Bat

Old 01-28-2002, 06:28 PM
Pro Rider

i see you didnt answer all my questions...

whats the top speed?
does it have power?
whats the torque like?
can it wheelie in 3rd gear?
is it comparable to a 400ex?
is it cramped?(5'7)
40" doesnt sound very wide, even a big bear is 43", where as the small quads like a trx300 is 45.something. is the blaster wide enough?

IS IT FUN?

easy to start?

how often do you have to repair the engine?

Old 01-28-2002, 06:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the top speed is 55.4mph and it will definatly do a wheelie in third gear and its very good on trails and for smaller jumps is god as long as you dont land on your front tires because with the short wheel base the wheels will turn an d wreck [have done it] and it has alot of torque in it middle to top rpms but below that not to good like any 2 stroke as for a pipe and silencer get a fmf pro circuit with silencer i dont know about air filters

Old 01-28-2002, 06:59 PM
Range Rover

BLASTERS KICK ***!!!!

Old 01-28-2002, 10:49 PM
Trailblazer

My first quad was a 2000 Blaster and it was fun to ride. I could get the wheels up with no clutch in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd (at the right rpm and weight transfer). Blaster vs 400ex. No hands down the 400EX will win everytime in every event except price. I had a 2000 400EX and that thing was a wheelie machine! Just pick a gear 1st thru 4th and hit the gas and hold on. The only thing I HATED about the Blaster was the suck-*** brakes. Mine were terrible. I'd vote to hold off until you could afford the 400EX. BUT if you want the quad right away just get the Blaster and have fun!

Old 01-29-2002, 02:00 AM
Weekend Warrior

alright....well my blaster can do wheelie in 1st,2nd, and third with out the clutch. Im not sure what the top speed is, but i know they go...It does have power...the suspention is alright...Its good in the woods because its narrow....but the only negative thing is it has no reverse....not a bad thing but would help in the woods and tight trails...

Old 01-31-2002, 02:45 AM
Pro Rider

can the blaster wheelie?
Yes Awsome
in what gears without the clutc?
I can start out in 1st and shift up to 3rd or 4th. Dont pop the cluch to do one just pull it up.
whats the top speed?
Stock-55mph
does it have power?
Yes it has Torque for a 2-Stroke and has a strong power band.
Suspention is fine for 30 footer is you learn to land on all 4's
Handels very well In the woods, It follows very well and does not track.
whats the torque like?
Very good HIll climber if that is what you want. One of the best 2-strokes
I think Bills is the Best with a Uni Filter
im not going to race, just rec. some little jumps like 10-20 footers NOTHING huge, is it fun?
The blaster is Always FUN
any flaws?
The rear brake likes to fade out some times. A good stop on it will fix that. The front drums wrok great too
i heard something about the brakes suck is it true?
NOT by any means if you MAINTAIN them
whats the top speed?
55mph stock. Could get around 65mph with $$$$
how longs it take to get to its top speed?
Very quickly if you have figured out the clutch
blaster vs.400ex STOCK is it possible?
Yes, I raced My blaster Stock for 2 years agianst 400ex's etc, and placed 4th overall. the only ATV class is an ATV OPEN
how often do i have to repair the engine?
I would say every 2-3 years with a new piston, rings, etc. About 5 years i would get the 1'st bore size done to it.

Dont go mod crazy at first. Get used to it and then let 'er rip. The blaster will not have as much torque as your warrior does. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-31-2002, 04:08 AM
Pro Rider

I remember the first time I rode a blaster. I thought my Warrior was such a tank compared to how nimble it felt. They wheelie so easily, just blip the throttle. Very short wheelbase they are fun on trails but you really notice how short the machine is, it can be a disadvantage in the rough stuff. I'd put it's top speed in the mid 50's. Extremely peppy at lower speeds, the engine puts out alot for only 200cc's. It handles a bit rough but what can you expect at $3000 new. Mine has the FMF pipe with K&N filter, I never rode it when stock (bought it used) It is a good lil jumper as long as you're reasonable about it. I'm 5'6" and over 200lbs and still like to ride it occasionally although it's far more tiring to ride than my Warrior or Raptor. One of the first mods a blaster needs is a steering stabilizer! The Warrior will flat out kill it in a drag race even though the blaster just feels faster and quicker. I guess it's because it's so dang small.

Quick Reply: can the blaster wheelie? in what gears without the clutch?