Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Best Mods For Stock Raptor

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2002, 03:07 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now we are getting somewhere... what are the trails like in Georgia? If they are tight you may not want to widen if they are big enough that another quad can pas then thats enough room and you may want to add +2 A-arms. A wider raptor comes out of the corners faster. i would definatly consider skid plates and a steering dampener. The new ITP XC are awesome in the trails. Replace the stock clutch perch/EBrake/rev limiter. when you brush against a tree or flipp the quad there are alot of things that can go wrong if those connections break or get tweaked. You can eliminate all that garbage with an aftermarket clutch lever/perch. with that albatross removed you can now fit/mount a set of handguards.

alot of people question the need for nerf bars, but i like them. first thing i broke was the axle back in the trails. a small tree got between my front and rear and bent the stock axle. nerf bars keep anything from coming in and hooking up. plus, when jumping they...your less likely to have your foot slip off and get under that rear tire. and most importantly they look trick.

you might also want to consider injecting Slime in the tires. there are other alternatives for this product but they could cause damage to the rims. i have had no problem with Slime...but have had this stuff save my hide out in the deep trails. riding alone( mistake). i literaly heard the tire puncture from a branch in the middle of the trail. Pop! a liitle blast of lime green and i never slowed down. i lost less than .5 psi. expensive but it beats pushing.

hope i helped...

Old 02-07-2002, 03:26 PM
Pro Rider

WhooPs! forgot to answer your questions...Before you go and modify your intake you are gonna want to figure out whether or not your going to purchase a pipe. Different manufacturers specify different techniques in modifying the airbox. Some request the snorkle be removed, some require you cut out the flaps restricting it. others ask you to literaly drill holes into the airbox lid.

i run with 93 octane.

Yes if you get more air flowing into your engine you want to increase the fuel. By you asking that question...i'm assuming you have never jetted a Carb. this is not something you should be afraid of...but i don't recommend you make your new raptor your test subject. jetting is tricky. it helps to have a pipe manufacturer recommend jet sizes and airbox mods. unless you know what your doing you could spend alot of time trying to dial it all in.

The proflo filter is a must. actually any filter is better than the stock.

Old 02-07-2002, 04:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trails in GA range from swamp to rock cliffs in the Mountains, lots of clay and some sand around creeks and rivers. My brother has a 00 warrior and i love it, but i want the Raptor for power i wont get used to a week after i buy it. What about the K&N filter? Used them in all of my mustangs and they pay for them selves, you know wash and dry. There is a good bit of mud here and don't want ride like I can't get it muddy due to airbox mods. I Have never rejetted a bike but I have put a motor in my mustang and work on all my autos myself, i also understand lean and rich proportions, and the double jet size for one carb due to the valve config. Probably will get a pipe but not right away.

Old 02-07-2002, 05:29 PM
Pro Rider

you seem experienced enough to tackle the jetting. you may want to buy a service manual. i don't have experience with K&N on quads maybe someone else can help. If you want power. the raptor is it. My first test ride after i rejetted and installed the pro flo and fmf power core/bomb set up was awesome. it still puts a smile on my face and that was almost a year ago.

i hit a trail that used to be old train tracks. I'd get on it and hop off and check the plug. when i was convinced everything looked ok...i decided to open it up. im cruising in 4th and i get behind to 400ex's. one stock one slightly modded. they wouldn't let me pass. there are embankments on each side of the trail (like a half pipe). Here comes the test. i down shift to 3rd, ride up on the embankment on the right and pass. as i pull of the embankment i can here them gun their EX's. i pull in front shift to 4th and accelerate at high speed riding a wheely.

After, the EX's pull up to me laughing their assets off. saying they have never seen such a sick display of 4stroke power. i felt like a million bucks. The raptor had just come out and nobody knew what the hell i was riding. i wasn't sure if cutting up my airbox was a good idea. but the looks on their faces told me i struck gold. i have rode it, raced it, rolled it, jumped it, and had no major problems. good luck...