Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Who has actually witnessed gas boiling on a 660?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2002, 02:36 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm curious to know who and how many have actually seen this with their own eyes? I can't buy into it. I've tried to see this numerous times, and all I can see is the gas swirling around due the the vibration of the quad. Much the same as if you saw a fish take off underwater and it made that little boiling up effect where they had been.

Old 02-07-2002, 09:08 AM
Pro Rider

in the winter, i plow alot with my grizzly. i have had the fan running for hours, without letting it cool down for more than 2 minutes at a time, (to collect the money) and i have NEVER seen, or heard the gas boil. nore have i had it spit or sputter. matter of fact, i have never had as much as a hitch of a problem. i too have read posts about some differant problems people say they have, but i never had them. i do beleave when people hit the water while in 4 wheel locking diffs, they spit or sputter, couse mine has. i found out real quick it was due to the limiter, and not couse it was wet. the only think i would change about my grizzly is the locking diffs. there should be NO limiter on it, but i understand why they do it. and it should engage at ANY speed!other than that, i love this quad!!! my new tires made a hole lot of differance on stability and traction too, so i would suggest upgrading them.

my pictures

Old 02-07-2002, 10:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

Andy, The first time it happend to me was in early fall. I was useing my Grizz to spray rie Grass on cutover timberland. After about three hours of work traveling slowly up and doun steep skidder trails and drains I started up a steep hill and the grizzly started sputtering and i could smell gas venting out on the flourbords, the engine died before i reached the top of the incline hill, so there i am on the side of the hill with 250lbs of Rie grass on the racks and in the spreader,the engine wouldnt start i though it was flouding out, so i carfully releaced my brake to back doun the steep hill. once i got to level ground at the bottom of the hill the engine fired up but die just as i started back up the hill. at this point i got off the ATV and start looking things over with the engine OFF, I notticed the vent tube was venting gas from the float bowl on to the left floor board, thats when i heard the boiling sound. i open the fuel tank and looked in and saw it boiling and not a slow boil but a fast boil the same as if boiling water on a hot stove.I rocked the Grizzly side to side and could hear the gas in the carberator sizzle in the float bowl. So i pulled off both plastic engine covers and could feal the heat behind the pannels,so i let it cool doun and i left the engine covers off. I no longer ride with the Right side engine cover on and have never had this happen again.

Old 02-07-2002, 10:51 AM
Trailblazer

Supertiger,

How long were you running the machine at slow speeds and do you remember the temperature that day?

Thanks.

Old 02-07-2002, 11:21 AM
Trailblazer

I have never seen this happen, and I ride very hard.

Old 02-07-2002, 11:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

Trail Raker, It was maby 75 to 80 degrees. and windy but not doun in the valleys. I work a full day about 6 to 8 hours, I dont usually shut off my engine while im still spreading grass, I might run 3 or 4 hours in low rang speeds doing this. Im afraid that if i shut off the motor everytime i stoped to reload the spreader with grass I would wear out my starter in a short period of time. I am 100% positive that the problem i had was just not haveing any airflow to circualat the hot air away from the carberator and fuel tank at slow speeds. On this very day in question after i removed the engine covers the ATV ameadiatly started running correctly. this had nothing to do with the radiator or engine temperature it was only the closnes of the exhaust pipe to the right side of the carberator and the fact that the hot air could not exscape.

Old 02-07-2002, 11:59 AM
Pro Rider

hey supertiger,
thanks for the advice to how to fix it if it does ever happen. i have heard alot of people say it happened to them while going slow in low hauling things around for long periods of time. i only go slow in winter while plowing. in the summer, i am always on it, so the air probibally has a great chance to push out the hot air. if the heat ever reaches 90 + in the summer, i might just remove the side panels before i go out, so i never have to deal with this problem.

my pictures

Old 02-07-2002, 12:27 PM
Pro Rider

when i was younger i was installing horse fence for my boss. and it was about 100 degress out and the dam chainsaw gas was boiling inside. so i began thinking chainsaw near my head gas boiling ((not good [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]) so i threw the chainsaw on the ground and passed out under a tree (it was way to hot anyways) he came back and he said theres nothing to worry about, so i told him to go do it then. so he did and the thing never blew up so i looked like an AZZ but o well just thought i would tell you i seen gas boil before and gas and heat shouldnt mix in my mind dosnt it = BOOOOMMM?

Old 02-07-2002, 10:09 PM
Pro Rider

Andy~

I haven't witnessed that on my Grizzly. I'll be interested to see how she does once summer gets here. I'm going to the Wallace ATV Jamboree in July, they're having mud bogs, weighted sled pulls, poker runs, all sorts of good times for quads, and in July, it's nothing to be up to 100+ for us. So, to date, no problem.

SilverBear

Old 02-08-2002, 01:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hay everyone, this is off the subject but i was reading over my owners manual and noticed on page 10-5 the specification of the wheel travel on the Grizzly 660 is 6.69inches on the front and 8.86inches in back. All other information given from magazeens to the Yamaha factory web page advertizes 7.1 in front and 9.5 in back,I know this imformation is not very important but it kinda makes me mad if its true because my goal in buying a Grizz was to get equal wheel travel to my old 500 sportsman.

Quick Reply: Who has actually witnessed gas boiling on a 660?