It's to late c.p.s.c. was at my house last night
I urge everyone that has had a Raptor tranny
fail to file a complaint with the c.p.s.c
thank you for your time

Old 02-21-2002, 11:11 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey redrocker..

How did it go with the CPSC? Did they say anything in paticular? Did you stress the saftey issue of all this?

just wondering.

Brad

Old 02-21-2002, 11:57 AM
Pro Rider

I think Yamaha should make good on those customers who 'took a chance on a new year model'. Isn't that how it should work? Sure, Yamaha does their testing before it's released, but the real test is when the customers take them off the production line and put them through the real world tests. It's remarkable how good the 400EX is from a reliability standpoint. The Raptor is very good as well, but it has some issues. Like the tranny. Just recall the tranny and be done with it.

My CBR929 had a clutch recall as it was a SAFETY issue because it had locked up for a few customers. Their description is 'high powered launches'. 130hp starts. Not your everyday riding. But Honda did it. I still have the bike. I love the bike, and trust the manufacturer. I think Yamaha is ignoring this issue, and not doing what's right. What else can customers do to get Yamaha to recognize and deal with this issue?

I don't care about the gear ratios. The issue with the gear weakness hurts my resale value, as no one will want an 01.

RM

Old 02-21-2002, 12:38 PM
Elite Pro Rider

If I remember correct from one of the initial magazine interviews concerning the Raptor, Terry Biel(sp?) said that the target audience for the Raptor was a male between the ages of 23 and 35(may be a tad off on the ages, but it's very close). I would say, from my observations, that target age is about spot on with the guys riding them. These are experienced guys that have rode for years.......I think it's a lame excuse to tell an experienced rider that he does'nt know how to shift properly.

As posted earlier, Yamaha has upgraded the weak transmission design for the '02 Raptors.

The weak gears for the '01 Raptor is clearly a serious safety issue.

Yamaha will loose many potentially loyal customers when these '01 Raptors get more hours on them and this tranny problem begins to really unfold.

When someone goes over the bars and is fatally injured, the recall did'nt materialize in time.....we can't loose fellow atvers to design flaws!

Old 02-21-2002, 12:53 PM
Trailblazer

Yeah well I Tell you what!
Im gonna bring my raptor to your location.
2 weeks ago the tranny locked up on my Girlfriend. Yeah she's a novice rider, maybe only 4 months of exp. Holding low rpm's in 2nd gear cruzin on a dirt trail, slow riding. Me following on my dirtbike. Riding along, Not beating the clutch, Not Jump starting, Not dragging. Slow cruizing for about 20 minutes or so. It Seized. Locked up the rear end, she slid. Luckily nobody was hurt or injured.
Now, Im no mechanic, I took it to the local dealer that I purchased the machine at.
He told me that the Tranny seized do to a fragmented gear? That yamaha would not cover this.
That his dealership would not get reimbursed, So therefore they won't fix it unless I fork up the 1500 dollars to fix it. I talked to the manager, then owner. They still refused to fix it. Now Im discussing it with the regional rep from yamaha. And he has to look into the issue. Meanwhile My 6500 dollar bike is sitting in my garage.. IS THAT FAIR!???
My hard earned money is SITTING? i'm not rich, I don't have oddles of money flowing everywhere. I do LOVE to ride. And to know that yamaha is aware of the issue. And just turns there back on us as the consumer, angers me even more.
Now hats off to the yamaha shop who reconizes and will fix the problem..
Point is! YOU AS A DEALERSHIP IS A MINORITY AS FAR AS WILLING TO SAVE AND KEEP A LOYAL CUSTOMER!! I know my 5 yamaha machines are for sale. It doesn't matter to yamaha one bit what I do, But they lost me as a customer. And to think I once LOVED my yamaha's.
Eventually enough people may be angered for them to realize whats going on.
I will never buy yamaha again, and It's ok for yamaha to screw us out of a 6500 machine.

Old 02-21-2002, 12:57 PM
RIP Dear Friend

I have been shifting and using a clutch since my 1971 SL Honda 100. I am going to continue to ride and shift the my Raptor as I have in the past. I use mine and have had loads of fun with it but if the transmission goes and they tell me its abuse or a MIS-shift I will literally just flip over the handlebars.
Since 1971 I have had 13 different machines, 4 Honda's, 6 Kawasaki's, 1 Suzuki, 2 Yamaha's and not one Transmission failure.
CHET [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 02-21-2002, 01:16 PM
Pro Rider

After reading the messages in this topic I find it had to believe that some people on here can sit back and say that there is absolutely nothing wrong with the Raptor trannies, and that it is the owners fault because they don't drive them right.

I can almost guarentee that about all of the Raptor owners that are complaining of tranny problems are not first time buyer/riders. More than likely they have owned other high performance quads in the past, and may still own others now.

I am also willing to best that almost all of them have never had tranny problems with any other quad that they have owned.

Sure, you can say that I don't have a right to comment because I don't own a Raptor, and that's probably correct. Since I don't own one I have no right to even listen to what these other guys are saying about their problems. Heck, there probably isn't a problem. I bet all of these guys coming on this board saying that they have had problems are people who don't know how to ride quads the right way. They probably don't own Raptors at all. Yeah, that's it....they are just a bunch of 400ex owners that want to sway people from buying Yamaha. Things are getting much clearer now.

Old 02-21-2002, 01:35 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I have owned every sport quad since the mid-80's except a Tecate-4 (2 sucking NOS and some were raced). Also, I have owned various other motocross bikes. I have NEVER had a transmission problem......yet(Raptor!).

Old 02-21-2002, 01:56 PM
RIP Dear Friend

garyc660R,
If you have a problem I know my trans is not far behind in the failure department.
Chet [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 02-21-2002, 01:59 PM
Pro Rider

I have seen 2 more people pop up on this thread alone and talk about bad 01 raptor trannys!

PLEASE take the time to fill out the CPSC complaint form. While you weren't hurt you must agree there is a potential for it to happen.

The only solution is to compeletly over haul the 01 trannys. Even if you get yours covered under warranty right now, what are they going to fix it with? Ya.. more 01 gears, I have the feeling you'll be back here again, if not in the hospital.

CPSC.Gov site for reporting a claim on an unsafe product or you can call toll free @ 1-800-638-2772

Thanks
Brad

Quick Reply: CONCERNED DEALER AND ATV RIDER