Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

CONCERNED DEALER AND ATV RIDER

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2002, 11:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BansheeBrad

Yes you have to order it all, Nine peices. I havnt got it replaced yet, just got the gears.

Old 02-20-2002, 11:18 PM
Pro Rider

<< I do see your point. I also see the points made here over the past few months from other owner's of the '01 Raptor.

If so many people are being hurt, then why has the CPSC not already acted? Most recalls are based from just one or two incidents.

Whatever the outcome,..I just hope it doesn't have any negative effects on the industry being that this is a sportquad and not a utility model, which are usually prone to these kinds of things.

I'm not taking up for Yamaha. I'm not brand loyal by any means. Hell,..as far as my job is concerned,..I would make a killing if Yamaha had a mass recall of '01 Raptor transmissions.

As I now end my final post on the topic,...I just hope this whole thing doesn't have a negative impact on the sport quad industry. The last thing we need is another 20/20 episode reminescent of 1986.

KNOWSALOT
>>

Honestly, the CPSC is starting to act.. take a look over at b l u e t r a x x.com. Several people have been contacted in the last couple days by the CPSC.

I don't think people knew to contact the CPSC prior to my post over at bluet r a x x.com. Most of the reports are less than 2 weeks old, but I think in the end the CPSC will act.

I agree with you, hole heartedly we don't need a repeat of 1986, but I don't think we will. One bad/weak design isn't going to kill off an entire industry.

Also, yamaha sticking their head in the sand isn't going to help this issue if some one does get hurt/killed by a bad trans. I mean that does have a chance to end up on 60 minutes. Look at ford/firestone. Wouldn't you rather see the 01s fixed instead?

I say to yamaha, fix this problem now, before it gets out of hand..

Old 02-20-2002, 11:24 PM
Pro Rider

<< BansheeBrad

Yes you have to order it all, Nine peices. I havnt got it replaced yet, just got the gears.
>>

Thats what I thought..

One last thing.. have you filled out your CPSC form for your bad tranny??? We need as many people as possible that have a failed tranny to report it.. take a look over at b l u e t r a x x.com if you need filing info..

thanks
Brad

Old 02-20-2002, 11:27 PM
Pro Rider

If you look at it from Yamaha's point of view, their job is done. For 2002 they totally redesigned the transmission, strengthened the rear axle, and swapped in a different rear shock. They also changed the rear suspension linkage and sub-frame to steel, but who knows why they did that. It wasn't a cheaper move, that's for sure.

Basically, I think that Yamaha did what they feel they had to- they updated the design. You guys screaming for new transmissions would be like (and bear with me on the time travel) owners of '85-'86 LT250R owners asking for the updated engine when the '87 Quadracer came out (because all the earlier engines were hand-grenading). Outside of this forum, I haven't heard of anyone having tranny problems. I haven't had anything bad happen to my '01 yet (cross the fingers), but I'm not denying the issue.

I don't think that the CPSC should get involved, unless the transmissions are failing in a way that is going to injure the rider. For you guys that have had them give, are they throwing you over the bars? It is hard for me to take sides on this because I haven't had it happen to me, yet I still feel like Yamaha has some obligation to the '01 owners if they knowingly sold a faulty product.

Either way, I do not appreciate some schmo from who knows where coming on here in that condescending manner. I hate dealers, never dealt with an honest one yet... (exclude yourself from that comment, KNOWSALOT, you seem cool)

Old 02-20-2002, 11:43 PM
Pro Rider

a little off subject bansheebrad but what exactly is this recall?

Thanks

Old 02-21-2002, 12:45 AM
Pro Rider

When someone does get hurt...woe to the industry and the magnifing glass it will be under.

Old 02-21-2002, 01:12 AM
Pro Rider

<< a little off subject bansheebrad but what exactly is this recall?

Thanks
>>

It's not a recall..
I don't know if it ever will be.. but I personally think it should be...

you really need to read this post to understand completely..

Gist of it is the US Consumer Product Safety Comission (CPSC) has juristiction over atvs, so they act a lot like the NTSB does for airplanes and the nhtsa does for cars. We are complaining to the CPSC for the raptor 01 trannys. I personally feel they have a design flaw that makes them dangerous. In *my* opinion (along with several others including dirt wheels magazine), the dogs on the gears are not sturdy enough to keep up with the torque of the 660 motor. The present a major safety issue as the trans could lockup while riding. (Gears shatter, pieces get stuck in other gears, full lockup has been know to occur). Thats where the CPSC comes in to play. We are trying to get everyone 01 owner w/ a defective trans to fill out a complaint form, so they CPSC has enough information to force yamaha to recall the 01 raptors and fix them.

If the CPSC does not see fit in recalling all 01 raptors, then I guess it's truly not an issue to be worried about.. but I do know the CPSC is taking steps to talk with current 01 owners about thier problems.

Keep in mind the internet community compared to the over all ownership of quads is low. I'm sure people beyond the reach of the internet are having problems we don't know about. But what I can tell you is I have a list of 17 confirmed 01 raptor tranny failures, and I done my best to get every one of these owners to file a CPSC report.

Old 02-21-2002, 05:42 AM
Pro Rider

Dear GOD, turn the caps lock off!

I think it all boils down to getting what you paid for. If I pay 5k + for something, it damn well better run for more than 6 mos. Dealers should back up their customers no matter what. That is how you get repeat customers.

Old 02-21-2002, 09:35 AM
Pro Rider

I think that because they updated these items on the 02 models is kind of Yamaha's way of admitting they used sub-standard parts on the 01.

Has any other manufacturer changed such important components on a machine after one year?

They should fix every one of them, or suffer the consequences of having P'd off consumers.

Old 02-21-2002, 10:14 AM
Pro Rider

Worm (fitting)

Quick Reply: CONCERNED DEALER AND ATV RIDER