Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

660 top speed revisited.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2002, 10:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I put the GPS to my 660 months ago, I got 60mph out of it when the speedometer said 65.

Today, after I vapor locked the thing in the woods, I was pretty ticked on the ride home, and the Grizz was getting run hard for it making me mad.

Took the dirt road back from my uncle's and got the speedo up to 64 on one long dirt stretch. Then I got to the side of the highway turned on, and started out hot. Pulled on and hit it when I noticed that one car in the line coming toward me was a police car. I immediately let off and looked down, and the speedo said 57. I hadn't been to 60 yet, so I guess the most I could have been doing on the speedometer when he clocked me was 59. Ok, the limit here is 50, and goes straight to 40 in a hundred yards. I know the police though, so out of respect, I toned it down. I'm under the impression that my quad goes 5mph. slower than it reads anyway when I get it wound up good.

I turned in at the house, put it in the garage, and waited cause I knew he would come back to aggrivate me. Sure enough here he came, and I asked him if he clocked it. He said yeah! 59! What the hell was I doing. I called BS on him, and said the speedo said 57 and if he was right, then the GPS was wrong. He said it was going 59 according to his police radar though. Then we sat there and talked and he told me he had vapor locked his 300 Kawi a time or two as well.

Well, this sounded good, and I decided I'll have him clock me on the top end some night when its late and on a less travelled road. I don't know if the radar is off or if the GPS is off or what, but as far as the radar is concerned, the grizz is pretty close to the speedometer reading. This was good news. I've been under the understanding that my griz would go 60 at best. Maybe I've been wrong.