Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Kodiak sputters and dies at high throttle

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2000, 12:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I looped my Kodiak this weekend. It took a pretty good fall but it was on a pretty soft pile of sawdust. It starts fine and idles fine, but when I give it the gas, it coughs and dies. I'm by no means mechanically inclined. Any ideas on what might cause this? Is it an easy fix, or am I going to have to take it in? Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 02-21-2000, 03:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be contaminated fuel in the float bowl, bad float level setting, clogged main jet (or loose needle/stuck slide), crud obstructing some passage in carb.

For contaminated (e.g., "wet") fuel, drain tank (reserve petcock setting), dump fuel from carb float bowl, fill with fresh, dry fuel (maybe some gas line anti-freeze thrown in).

For the others, try chemical cleaners (spray-on, in the tank) first; check the float level with clear hose, then disassemble, clean & adjust if nothing works.

Good luck.

Tree Farmer

Old 02-21-2000, 05:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

Just as a quick thought, You may want to check the choke-cable adjustment. If the Lever took a lick it could have pulled the cable out of adjustment.
An easy to check and fix problem.
Good Luck..

Old 02-21-2000, 09:55 PM
Pro Rider

Tell us how you looped her.

therock

Old 02-21-2000, 09:57 PM
Trailblazer

My brother has a 1999 Kodiak. It's doing the same thing. We have figured out that it is the choke cable, but we are having a little trouble getting it lubed properly so that it will not stick.

Old 02-22-2000, 10:48 AM
Trailblazer

im having the same problem with my t-wolf. i have been told some things but they didnt help me yet.

Old 02-22-2000, 10:49 AM
Weekend Warrior

Rock:
I was climbing up the steep side of a huge pile of sawdust and dirt. My Kodiak is not 4x4 and when it the back tires started spinning they just sank right into the sawdust and stood the Kodiak straight up. I fell off the back, and she came over...right on top of me. The only damage...some separated cartilage in the ribs and the throttle problem. The ribs will heal themselves. I'm afraid I'm not sure how to fix the Kodiak.

Old 02-22-2000, 11:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

Tree Farmer:
Thanks for the ideas. I don't think the fuel is contaminated (wet). It ran fine all day until the loop. Even after the loop, I rode it back to the barn (very slowly, I was hurtin'). A buddy of mine got on it afterwards and noticed the problem.

It could be some of the other things you've suggested, but they're over my head. I don't even know what that stuff is (float bowl, main jet, etc...) I really don't know much about small engines except for how to have a lot of fun on them. Can you explain, or is it too complicated?

Old 02-22-2000, 06:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hudgin, If you have tried to lube it, Then saying its a little trouble to lube is a under-statment.
Try a hypodermick needle with teflon lube. If you think you were able to get the lube into the cable jacket then heat it up with a heat gun (or hair dryer) to cause the lube to migrate down the cable. Should work out ok. & Tucker... did you check the choke cable yet?

Old 02-22-2000, 06:10 PM
Trailblazer

you need a new spark plug because when you were climbing the hill you probably screwed your spark plug up trust me that is what you need. i have a 250 timber wolf and it did the same thing trust me thats what you need. im a atv fixer upper i know every thing there is to know about an atv. if changing your spark plug does not work you will have to clean out your carberator and the jets in your carb but im prety sure all yu need to do is get a new spark pulg

Quick Reply: Kodiak sputters and dies at high throttle