Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor good for first quad?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2002, 09:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im a first time buyer into quads, dont even know how to drive the thumb throttle but i think i might be able to get it. but how would the raptor be for a first timer? im 16, weight is around 140, 5'11, it fits right..but it would be me and my dad riding it....does it have to much un controllable power? im definately responsible, so im not going to screw around...

Old 03-14-2002, 10:08 PM
Pro Rider

A Raptor is not a good beginner quad. It can easily bite an inexperienced rider. A 400EX would be a better choice. They have excellent handling and power and they are far less likely to toss you on your backside.

Old 03-14-2002, 10:08 PM
Trailblazer

THe raptor is a good quad but I'd go with somehting like a blaster, 250ex, or a mojave.

Old 03-14-2002, 10:10 PM
Pro Rider

well im looking for things in the same price range, and i can get a 2k2 stock raptor for about the same $$ as a 2k2 400ex, i dont want to out grow it, cause i know my parents ARE NOT going to let me buy another one

Old 03-14-2002, 11:39 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Get the Raptor, don't screw around with a smaller quad and wish you'd have bought a bigger, better quad a few months later. Just cruise it around and get used to how it responds and where everything on it is located and you and your Dad will enjoy one of the better machines out there for a long time to come.

P.S. Just a hunch but, within 2-3 months there will be a second Raptor in the house after the first is bought. Just a hunch. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-14-2002, 11:48 PM
Trailblazer

My 2002 Raptor was my first quad. For me it made a great trainer, but I had a lot of guidance from my uncle and his best friend (who both raced professionally for 13 years).

Some tips...

1) Spend time to learn how to use the brakes, clutch, shifter, foot brake and parking break before you ever turn the key.

2) Before you ever ride it, turn the key to ON and practice shifting it from first to neutral. Being comfortable with this before you NEED it is a good thing (trust me LOL).

3) When you first begin learning how to ride on it, turn the idle up a bit. This will help keep you from stalling it (a major problem of mine when I first started on the bike). You can always adjust it later (it's fast and easy).

4) Practice practice practice! Find some nice, flat, boring terrain and practice. Get used to the routine you use when getting it moving and when stopping. Get a good feel for the clutch, remember GENTLE engagement is your friend (i.e. let out of the clutch very slowly and softly). Be very soft on the throttle as well. Stalling it is better than back-flipping it, I've done both so I'd know hehe.

Once I figured out how to get it moving (again, soft clutch, soft throttle, learn the sounds of the motor) I had no problems. I started out nice and slow and only went faster when I felt confident with the quad.

I will however, add some footnotes. First, know at all times that it is a very fast quad no matter how it may feel. Learn good riding habits before you learn to ride fast (i.e. always look, give other people the right of way, etc). I've had the Raptor for 3 months and I've wrecked it 3 times, the first time because I was pushing faster than I had skill to maintain, the second because I was tired and half asleep and I tried to rush the bike (400 lb bike + hurry = ouch), and the third time because I assumed someone was going to do something they didn't and I had to take drastic measures to avoid a collision. It's a learning process, but the more I learn the more fun I have and I wouldn't give ANY of it up for the world. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

As for out growing the quad, that depends entirely on you. My uncle is a big guy, 6'4" 240lbs or so, and he still rides a Honda 250 quad from time to time and it has no problems. A 400 would be more than enough for anyone unless you're really looking to scratch a speed itch or you want to trounce other people hehe. That said, I still bought my Raptor and love it to death. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

PS: For your weight, the Raptor would also be insanely fast. I'm 6' 235lbs and my Raptor has no qualms about wheelies or jumps. You'd probably want to soften the shock settings a little.

Old 03-15-2002, 02:10 AM
Pro Rider

I bought a kawasaki lakota sport as my first quad. Great entry level machine, but quickly outgrew it. I then purchased a 02 raptor and I love it. I would buy the raptor since it is for you and your father. Be cautious though, it has tons of power and speed. Ride it slow and get use to it. This is one quad that you will not out grow, and it has tons of accessories. I love my Raptor more than the wife. It's better to be the predator... instead of the prey !!!

Old 03-15-2002, 03:07 AM
Pro Rider

The Raptor has a lot of power but it is a smooth even powerband. The new 2002's have better gear ratios, as well as stronger gears, which make it easier to ride. You sound like you have the right attitude. Wear a helmet, goggles and gloves, a jersey and jeans and some decent boots, even hiking boots, and take it slow. Don't exceed your ability.
I think the Raptor is much less likely to toss you off than a 400EX. And put a wider rear axle on it right away, that will make powersliding a breeze. Otherwise the Raptor is a bit tippy and tends to rail through the corners.
This is the single best modification you can make. Durablue has one for $289 I think. Shop through the magazines.
My son has a Raptor, he is now 13, got it when he was 12. It is his third quad, and he was ready for it. But he is still only 5'1" tall and less than 90 lbs. I would not reccommend the raptor for a starter quad for his age/size, but as an experienced rider it has been great for him.

Old 03-15-2002, 08:35 AM
Elite Pro Rider

A Raptor is not a good quad to get started with. A 250ex, Blaster, etc....would be a much better initial choice. If you get a Raptor anyway, get plenty of safety equipment. Good luck and ride safe.

Old 03-15-2002, 08:41 AM
Pro Rider

I taught my g/f how to ride.. on a raptor no less..

First quad she had ever driven, she did fine. (I was even amazed at how well she did)

As she learned, it's only as fast as you push on the gas.

I'm not sorry I bought it for her.. she rides it just fine, and has fun.

I'd say get the raptor, but listen to this and listen good, show that quad a lot of respect. It has the ability to hurt you and hurt you fast. It's big, mean, strong, and fast, and lots of fun. Just take your time, stay off the hills at first, and wear your helmet! You'll do just fine..

Just my $.02
Brad

Quick Reply: Raptor good for first quad?