Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Yamaha Banshee expert opinions needed!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2002, 09:14 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About 4 weeks weeks ago I bought a generaly nice condition, but poorly maintained 98 Banshee. The axle lock nuts were froze solid, I got the outer one broke loose, the inner still wont budge. I can see a gap between the nut and the sprocket hub but still can't get it to move. I have tried soaking in PB Blaster, small propane torch, my next attempt, I'm gonna use the oxy/acct torch to get that thing red, hopefully it'll loosen up with that. The sprocket hub wiggles very loosley on the splines, the same situation with the rotor hub. If the nut was to be able to get tightened against the sprocket hub, that would also tighten up the brake hub too wouldn't it? I hope the splines aren't trashed too bad.
This is the first Yamaha quad I have had in over 7 years, have always had Kawasakis. I looked at the axle nut on my Mojave, there is a washer between the inner nut and the hub, is the Banshee supposed to be this way also? I have Clymer manual on order so any help till then will be greatly appreceated! Thanks!

Old 03-25-2002, 04:00 PM
Pro Rider

yeah the sproket and rotor hubs both feel as though they are loose, but really they aren't. all are like this. no there is no washer between the nut.

Old 03-25-2002, 04:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try the torch, but try to avoid directly heating up the axle. Another thing you could try: Put a deep notch in the nut with a grinder or chisel. Then, take a chisel and hammer and try beating/driving the nut so as to get it to rotate forward (loosen). Once apart check the carrier bearings as they might possibly be worn. At a minimum clean & re-grease them. Also once apart, order a after-market "locking" axle nut. They typically have a slice (cut) into them with an allen bolt going through them that you tighten up to lock the nut in place on the axle.

Rude Dog

Old 03-25-2002, 04:30 PM
Pro Rider

Actually, the rotor and sprocket hubs are NOT supposed to feel loose. If they are there is something wrong. If you run them loose like that you'll wear out the splines and it will never get tight. There is no washer between the nuts.

While you're there, check the wheel hubs to make sure there is no play there either.

Old 03-25-2002, 06:24 PM
Trailblazer

It took three of us to get mine off. One with a pipe wrench on the axle, one holding the axle, and one that hit on a cresent wrench with a mallot. We tried the brute force way at first....but hitting the wrench with the hammer is much more effective than three guys trying to tear off each others arms.