Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Shollz- hows the sparks 690?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2002, 12:29 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How does the beast run? Got the starter/battery working?

Old 04-03-2002, 09:19 AM
Pro Rider

I had it jetted way to rich with 170 and 175 dynojet mains. It was still scary fast though, but it was so rich it was dying on me in midair whrn I was jumping it, and I about went over the bars. Yesterday, I put 150 and 155 dynojet mains in, and man what a difference it feels like it gained an extra 5HP, this thing has so much power everywhere that it is amazing. I still don't have the starter thing figured out, once you get it started with the battery charger and then warmed up, it will start great every time. But, if you let it cool down for more than a half an hour it won't crank it over fast enough. I am going to try a battery out of the 2002 grizzly this weekend, they are basically the same dimensions , except that the battery has 110 more cold cranking amps, but it also weighs 4lbs more. As far as comparing my bike to others goes, I raced my buddies fully built with everything imaginable 440ex and beat him by 5 or so bike lengths in a short drag. I raced my other buddies brand new Laeger YZF440 that we built and I wheelied off the line and he beat me by a bike length, but this was when I was way to rich. The biggest improvement I think I made to my quad was the PEP ZPS shocks, this thing rides like a cadillac now, and lands so smoothly off of jumps. I put some new pictures on my website, so you can check them out. I will be riding at the badlands on thursday, then practicing at the new vienna, OH motorcross park saturday, and racing motocross at Haspin acres on sunday. I need all the practice I can get before Daniel boone the following weekend.

Later.

Old 04-03-2002, 11:36 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Shollz- that sounds good. I had a dyno-jet jetting nightmare with mine. I spent hours jetting with the dyno jets. The funny thing was that the jets trinity set (180,187.5) were perfect one i put the stock needles back in. I did learn to jet, so all was not wasted. Did you get all the valves enlarged? My kit turned out to be alot more ridable that i thought it would be.

Old 04-03-2002, 12:35 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, I got 1mm oversized valves from sam coe performance, because he was the only one in the country that had valves either stock or aftermarket in stock. As far as jetting goes, I haven't had much time to try this new jetting. I need to get a couple of new spark plugs to get some good readings. I also have some mikuni jets in the 180,185,and 187.5. If need be I will change needles and try those, but I will wait and see. I am just glad that it is finally together so I can ride it. 4 months was a long time to wait for shocks and motor, but I think it was worth it. Now I'll just cross my fingers and hope the tranny holds up. It hasn't given me any problems yet, but maybe the very first raptors made were a little better, after all my serial number is 0042.