Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

ALL RAPTOR OWNERS... HELP ME OUT!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2002, 05:04 PM
RIP Dear Friend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

killerkx327,
here we go again : ( 90% of the ppeople have grenaded motor s and trannies). I don't beleive that 90% of the Raptors sold have grenaded there motors at where you work.
Chet.

Old 04-04-2002, 05:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok i guess i worded that wrong,i meant that 90% of the raptor owners have experienced some type of problems or failures with their raptor.to say the least raptor are not a reliable trouble free machine.not there any atv is a trouble free machine.there are machines that are alot more reliable then the raptor's.this is only my own opinion. and like i said take it for what it's worth.

Old 04-04-2002, 06:15 PM
Pro Rider

i am in my local yamaha shop at least once a and since the raptors have come out i have not seen but two or three in the shop (and they all ran)
just wanted to throw that in i will go back to reading now

Old 04-04-2002, 07:25 PM
Range Rover

First production year(s) are a learning experience for any manufacture. How many times have you heard wow nice truck, but it’s the first year don’t buy it. Well it is the same with the Raptor, first year some bumps, second year fixed the mistakes. Why don't you think the Banshee hasn't changed much. They found a combo that works people are buying it. Well the Raptor in a year or two will be like the Banshee.

I jumped the gun and bought a 01 Raptor, but besides oil and grease haven't had to touch a thing.

It's a blast. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-04-2002, 07:42 PM
Pro Rider

well honda for one doesn't usually have to many problems with thier first year production machines?kawasaki usually fairs pretty good as well a s almost all the manufacturers do pretty good with thier first year introductions.in this day in age they have to be good the first time around or else they don't make it around the second to well.
so i guess we will see just how much they improve on the machine. i wish the manufacturers would up to theiar machines and change them every few years like they do the motocross bikes and just keep the name and constantly make them better.

Old 04-05-2002, 01:45 AM
Pro Rider

Killer,

Ok. Let's take the example

<< and the performance is nothing to right home about.especially after you see so many quads kickin it's *** all over the place.it was suppose to be the fastest atv ever built when it came out.then the public found out that it wasn't as fast as procaliamed and the handling isn't the best either.it is a good handler just not the best,the machine is way to narrow.so i'm not impressed with the raptor they are good machines but they aren't that good.there are better ones by my opinoin >>

Stock quads available at a dealer today. Name one and the reasons its better.

400EX: Best part about it is it's toughness and quality. Can always get parts. Never in the shop. Ready to ride. But not enough power and performance. (My second choice. I just sold mine to a friend)
Cannondale: Great performance. Exotic. New. Have already made changes to last years model to improve. (Much like the Raptor). Limited modification potential (pretty close to the potential in stock trim). Got to give them credit for getting the most out of their machine.
DS: Great for the dunes. Great motor. Expensive to mod. Kind of wide for the woods. To heavy for MX. But a great duner.
Banshee: Old design. Doesn't handle as well as modern quads. Ultimate duner. Incredible hop up potential. Not as reliable / bulletproof as a 400EX.
Raptor: Great all round machine. Great duner, great in the woods. Some first year problems (Tranny, axel, carb boots). Corrected in second year. Incredible motor, very responsive to hop up. (Only the Banshee is in the same league). Great handling for jumps (some rank it a better handler than the 400EX). Agreed that it is a little tippy, but more body english fixes that (or different rear tires, or wider axel).

I have seen a 400EX blow up. Seen a Banshee blow up. Seen a DS die on the trail. Haven't even seen a Cannondale. Both Raptors (Mine and a buddy's) have been bulletproof. And with an exhaust and filter kit, I haven't found a faster machine yet.

So what machine that you can buy from a dealer did you have in mind that would be a better machine than a Raptor?

Did you ever think that '90%' of the machines you see are the ones with the problems, and the other 1000% of the machines haven't been in for repairs and are just fine?

I won't put the Raptor on the same level as the 400EX for quality, but if Honda would get their butt in gear and build a machine which would outperform the Raptor, I would buy it in a heartbeat. Until then, I will ride my Raptor.

RM

Old 04-05-2002, 02:21 AM
Pro Rider

killer, The only problem I have had with my Raptor is every now &amp; then I have to get off of it &amp; go to work!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Hondas are as reliable as a sewing machine, keep oil in them &amp; they run forever.
However I wasn't willing to wait another 3 to 4 years to release the 650EX they have been testing for the last 4 to 5 years. They test thier stuff to death &amp; it pays off in reliability, you can do that when you only release a new sport quad every 10 years or so (don't bother to correct my math it's just an off the cuff guess but probably close).

I'm glad Yamaha released the Raptor, what else was I going to replace my 86 250R with? A Banshee? an option but I decided to go with a 4 stroke after years of constant tinkering &amp; a couple of big blow ups. A C'Dale? Another new quad with problems &amp; I didn't trust the electronics in the fuel injection to live in the dirt, mud, sand, dust &amp; water an atv goes thtough. only time will tell on that. A DS 650? Too big for my kind of riding &amp; handling probs (corrected on the Baja). A 400EX? I beat them with my 250R I didn't want to go slower no matter how good it handles.

When Honda comes out with a quad like a 650EX or one with the 450F motor (it's new in 2 wheelers so mabey 8 more years?) I'll give them a look.

No one I know has had a prob with a Raptor &amp; neither have I. Rember the few with a problem ( I know there have been probs) Will be the loudest &amp; make the most posts but that doesn't mean that 90% or even 20% have actually had a problem. I try not to buy anything in it's first year so I got an 02 &amp; am glad that Yamaha steped up &amp; Improved the Raptor in only it's 2nd year.

I'm glad you like your Kawi (when are they going to step up?) I like my Raptor. Until something better comes out that suits my riding style I'll Keep it &amp; enjoy it.

Old 04-05-2002, 02:48 AM
Pro Rider

i did have a rebuttal for this whole fiascal.but i decided not argue about this.i know what goes on with the raptor. i work on them,i modify them i ride them,and i get every single service bulletin on them and i get all the figures and statistics on all the models for service.and the raptor right now is a hot item in all the service departments across the country and around the world.and even the updated 02 model has been found to still have some glitches that yamaha will have to fix next year.
the raptor is an ok atv.it just wouldn't be my first or second choice.
and ONCE again this is all just my opinion,except for the fact that i get all the service bulletins and i know what goes on with the raptor.
oh and i never mentioned anything about my tecate so why would you?my tecate is not part of the equation here.i tell you what though since someone had to bring my quad into it.i want you to find a raptor that can get with my tecate on the drag strip or the mx track or in the woods.for the $5500+ plus that everyone spends on their raptor, i built this machine and i have a total of less then $5000 into the tecate.and i can put my money where my mouth is.because i will eat raptors like they are sitting still.and yes i race motocross with. i'm not a pro GNC mx racer like gust or spader but i do race pro at the local level and semi at the gnc level. so bring it don't sing it
RAPTORS ARE JUNK!!!!

Old 04-05-2002, 03:05 AM
Pro Rider

killer, all I said was I'm glad you like your Kawi (touchy aren't you!) &amp; wondered when Kawi is going to release some of the big sport quads they've been testing? I think thats a legit question not a flame.

I just stated my reasons for getting a raptor without flaming any one. I never said your quad was junk now did I? I come here for all opinions good &amp; bad &amp; I answer posts without insulting anyone, try it some time, because you just invited everyone to flame your Kawi with that last post. It's all in fun so chill &amp; enjoy it.

So since you brought it up why dont you tell us what the probs you speak of on the 02&quot;s are &amp; be helpful? I won't flame if you don't. Lets play nice &amp; exchange some usefull info.

Old 04-05-2002, 09:47 AM
Range Rover

THEMOOSE [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img] nuf said! All RAPTOR &quot;owners&quot; not &quot;a buddy of mine&quot; if you have had ANY troubles with your Raptor, let's hear about it. Or if you read this and have nothing happen to yours please post.

Like I said OWNERS only,[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

As far as my 01 nothing but oil changes and grease.

NEXT!!!!!

Quick Reply: ALL RAPTOR OWNERS... HELP ME OUT!!!