Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

ALL RAPTOR OWNERS... HELP ME OUT!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2002, 08:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am getting ready to purchase a new quad (probally a raptor)i have made trips two the dealer and both the raptors they have there have a little coolant on the lower frame rail and in the skid plate and if you feel around the top of the pump housing ( around the upper

side on the front) it is damp with coolant too, is this normal?
Has anybody had problems with 02 tranny, and if so is there a set of aftermarket gears for a raptor and how much do they cost.

with the dual carbs do they suck gas

and please post any other problems and comments(positive or negative)

Old 04-03-2002, 09:11 PM
Trailblazer

I have a 01 Raptor and have not had a single problem with it. Its gets pretty good gas mileage but i really havent paid that much attention to it. Of course i got tired of the horrible handling of it though. I hope my lobo II helps that out....

Old 04-03-2002, 09:48 PM
Pro Rider

I've had my 02' for a month now and have not had any trouble at all. It rides like a dream. I am really impressed with the performance. After a few minor mods, you will definitely see a difference. The 660 engine has alot of potential. I would be concerned about the coolant leak, but it should not be hard to figure out and fix. Check all the hoses and connections and go from there. You will not be disappointed in the raptor at all! It's one awesome machine!!

Old 04-03-2002, 10:21 PM
Range Rover

02 Raptor altheway and to all who raptor hate... jelousy never solved anything

Old 04-03-2002, 11:29 PM
Pro Rider

I have an 01 Raptor thats built to the guills and I have never had any troubles what so ever.Just take care of your $hit and it will take care of you.

Old 04-03-2002, 11:39 PM
Pro Rider

When I first bought my raptor there was some coolant on the engine skid I looked seen it there thought it was no big deal got home after buzzing around at a friends house got home checked it out again no more coolant I think maybe it was a couple off drops from filling it. One dealer hear loaded one up in the back of a truck and one of the hoses was loose and all the coolant poured out luckily it happened then then later could have been costly for that dealer even thought they would have tried to turn it around on customer but with a nuff said BUY THE RAPTOR

Old 04-04-2002, 12:28 AM
Range Rover

Your answer to gas, no very good, mine uses less than my buddies Banshee. On a day on the trails mine will use about the same as my buddies worrior (I have to go slow so we don't loose the little guy, it's only a 350 lol)[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

You won't be disapointed

Old 04-04-2002, 12:34 AM
Pro Rider

Our Raptor gets the best gas mileage of the bunch. Better than any polaris, way better than the 660 Grizz or my DS. It goes farther on a tank than anything we have, I think about 90 to 100 miles, even though it's tank is 2 gallons smaller than some at 3.5 gallons. It's pretty amazing.
... The worst of our bunch is a Honda Foreman. He always runs out of gas first, way first, like at about 50 miles. The DS is pretty good at 75-80 miles on a 3.5 gallon tank. The Grizz is the gas hog, about 65 miles from 5.5 gallons.
Oink.
.... But we don't ride with any two-strokes, they'd never make it on one of our rides without gas stashed along the way. What's a Banshee good for? 35 miles?
.....Wider rear axle is a must. Front shocks a good idea. Slip-on, air box mods with jets work great.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-04-2002, 12:54 AM
Range Rover

A stock banshee should be good for 75-80 depending on the ride. But for the most part they are good on gas. The worst thing is having to mix, no small town filling station. So strap a spare tank on your back, lets go for a x-country ride[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-04-2002, 01:14 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my buddy has an 01 raptor and it's been the biggest tird i've ever seen.i have not been very impressed with the machine at all,not with the performance,reliability or the fit and finish of it.i think yamaha was in to big of a hurry to get it to the public that they didn't do all the R&D they should've.and i would be worried about the coolant,every raptor i've had the luxury (LOL) of working on has developed coolant leaks some where.most of them on the waterpump.
and 99% of the owners of any machine no matter what it is don't want people to think they made a bad choice,so they aren't going to tell you that they've had any troubles with those tirds.
although yamaha has made quite a few updates for the 2002 raptors they still aren't bullet proof.but i think you have les to worry about with the tranny,but there are still a few instances that i've heard of.
so good luck on your choice,just gather all the info you can on whatever machine you choose to buy so that you can make an educated decision and then you know what you're going to deal with before hand.

Quick Reply: ALL RAPTOR OWNERS... HELP ME OUT!!!