Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Noticable difference of Razrs on a Raptor?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2002, 11:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finally went and ordered a set of Maxxis Razr tires for my '01 Raptor (20x11x9 rears and 21x7x10 fronts). I went with the 6-plies, because the price difference was only 5 dollars per tire, and I consider that cheap insurance. For now I will just be reusing my stock Yamaha rims, but eventually I will be getting a set of beadlock rears and fronts.
It was either going to be the Razrs or Holeshots, but I just like the look of the Razrs better. That and Ballance has won two GNCC titles on them.

Now for my questions concerning Raptor handling. For those who have Razrs on their Raptor, does it allow the quad to slide better? Also, is the straight-line acceleration hook-up any better on hardpack? My biggest gripe with the stock rear Dunlops was their inability to slide on command. Oh, besides the fact that they have a paper-thin sidewall. Perhaps I was just spoiled with my 250R, because I have yet to find a machine that could be pitched sideways like my old R...

I know, I know, get wider a-arms and an axle. But, when I do that, I have to be able to buy the new shocks at the same time. I don't have $3000 laying around (shocks, axle, a-arms, swing-arm)...

Thanks for the comments, I look forward to my Razrs...

Old 04-27-2002, 10:00 AM
Pro Rider

love my razrs, on my second set for rears. they are a soft compound tire so don't plan on doing alot of road riding. they slide great compared to the stockers. plus they are tuff. my stockers have 9 plugs in them . if you really want a slidder, get a axle, spacers or offset rims. all you need is a +2 in the rear so it's the same width as the front.

Old 04-27-2002, 10:22 AM
Range Rover

I have 6 ply razr's (23 and 22 inch) on my Raptor, and they made a great difference. I couldn't ride trails at all with out bottoming out in the rear before I got them (that's why I bought the taller ones), and they slide and handle much better than the stock tires. I'm really surprised how well they do in snow, the front razr's with the row of ***** all in a line down the middle of the tire track great. I'm also really shocked how fast I can go in the snow without the front end sliding at all. I ride rocky trails in the Colorado high country, and have not even had a flat yet.

Good luck,
Lorrin