Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Removed VIN # (KNOWSALOT?)

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2002, 11:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Guys,

I was wondering if somebody could give me some info.

I'm talking to a guy right now that has a '99 Banshee that he wants to trade for an old car of mine that I haven't driven for almost 3 years.

Anyway, the problem with it is that it was hit by another ATV and it bent the frame. He currently has an old J-arm frame on it, but he has an A-arm frame available if I want it switched. Now the other problem is that the frame with the A-arms has the VIN# removed for one reason or the other...I don't know.

The question is, would it be possible to have a VIN# put on the frame? Or any other details that I would need to know. I am sure that if I couldn't do something like that I probably couldn't sell it because whoever bought it probably could not register or insure it.

Also, a question for KNOWSALOT or anybody else that can answer it...Do you know of any way to tell the year of a Banshee engine by the serial # on it?

Thank you all for the help.

-Josh

Old 05-06-2002, 11:35 PM
The Facility

You can't tell the year model by the engine number. They use the same batch of engines within that engine style. The number only recognizes it as a Banshee engine. If there were a change [like a cylinder bore change for instance] it would recognize it beinhg a Banshee engine of that style. Not the year model.

Now to the question about the serial number on the frame. If you plan to register the machine [and make it easier to sell in the future] you will have to have a serial number stamped on the frame. You can't get a die set and stamp a new number from another frame on it.

There is one solution that I have seen done before and it works, but will have to be done right to not cause a catastrophe. You simply remove the lower left frame rail from the J-arm model and do the same with the A-arm model. Weld the lower left frame rail from the J-arm model into the A-arm model. If done professionally, you will never notice the change and you will not have any problems with registration unless you happen along a department worker who is a quad nut like we are.

Old 05-06-2002, 11:53 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the fast response...I knew that you would know the answer!

Unfortunatly with that news I am debating on getting the Banshee. My goal was to trade it and resell it so I could get a bike so I suppose it would be hard to prove to someone that it is a 1999 no matter what frame I put on it.

It figures, that is the way my luck goes.

Thanks again for the information...It helps a lot!

-Josh