Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

raptor versus z400

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2002, 02:16 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Knowsalot- I was trying to hit the rev limiter, did not want a cannon owner saying i was not ridding hard enough. I have plenty of seat time on a lot of quads. The dale is not bad, just not much in 4th and 5th! Of course i am used to a machine with a sack! 686 kit! I have not ridden many stock machines, all my buddies believe that you can never have enough. The dale is a fine machine, but has room for improvement.

Yodaddy- You can sleep in the firecracker stand, by my house. I am 20 mins. from the weatherford mx track. Have you tried out Mossier Valley? If you head to weatherford, give me a pm.

All the new quads are pretty close,stock. All have faults that need to be corrected.

Old 05-18-2002, 02:18 AM

What? The Quadracer lackluster? You know not of what you speak. You obviously have no idea that the Quadracer 250R was faster than the TRX250R and arguably faster than the Tecate. Reliable, too. To boot, those machines handled better than ANYTHING Yamaha have EVER come out with.

It's hard to understand what your conclusion was (timebomb getting whacked by wore-out Banshees like the Qracer 500 was.), but the Quadzilla is undisputably the fastest production quad ever. It was like the DS650 of the two-troke age, a big mean Yami eating machine. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Reliable? Do you buy a Ferrari F-40 because it's 'reliable'? Off the showroom floor they had their problems. Basically, buy the new cases and you're set. If you got an 87 model, O-ring the head. That's it. Such would be expected of the biggest baddest two stroke ever on 4 wheels. Better than the '01 Raptors!

Why are you looking at Honda for your new "sport/performance/trail" class leader? Didn't you learn from the 400EX? LOL

Old 05-18-2002, 02:22 AM
Pro Rider

<< Man, this argument is tired. It all comes down to displacement, unless there is a serious difference between the engines like 2 stroke vs. 4 stroke. Where do you get the idea that a Z400 handles so much better? I think this is one of those things that is only a serious discussion until the machines actually hit the trail, and then we'll all be laughing that this was ever even considered a fair comparison. Unless Honda gives us a 600 to 700cc EX, the Raptor is going to continue to own the sport/performance/trail machine title. Fact is, Honda is the only manufacturer who has shown they know how to build better machines than Yamaha in both performance and quality but they seem to be sitting this one out for now. Oh well, hopefully the Z400 won't be a lackluster performer like the Qracer 250 or a timebomb getting whacked by wore-out Banshees like the Qracer 500 was. >>

How IGNORANT you are.....
time bomb huh... my zilla cases just wore out. 14 YEARS it took.
Quadracer 250R was faster than the TRX... The Zilla, faster than all.
They were very reliable if taken care of.
Gettin beat by worn out BANSHEES??????
You sir... are a moron.

-Matt

Old 05-18-2002, 04:30 AM
Range Rover

See what you guys fail to realize is that some people:

a) would like to race in the 440 under class (pro production)
b) would rather have revs than john deere torque
c) not want a heavy big bore
d) do more things with there quads than just drag race (where you gonna open 70 hp up on a trail) cmon
e) don't have sandlots the size of florida next door ( so we don't get into hill comps)
f) like new technology
g) don't want to go in the motor to &quot;OPEN IT UP&quot;, personally i don't have the time to f with things, done right the first time!

YOU people lump everything together, people do different things w/ there quads therefore like to get different things out of them. I didn't get a 400ex (too small, underpowered), a raptor (didn't feel like spending money on new a arms and wider axle as soon as I bought it, or on a pipe-jet kit just to get some power out of it, a banshee (not ridable enough in the woods), a ds650 (my other choice but I wanted something a little lighter and not so big for the woods), a z400 (not out yet and I wasn't waitin!, a 300ex,blaster,warrior,250ex,mojave, cuz I wanted a high performance bike which we all have so BE HAPPY!

-Josh

Old 05-18-2002, 10:32 AM
Trailblazer

I rode a Z-400 the other day. I dont think that it is close to the Raptors power.Now a 400EX maybe. They should start comparing them to 400 machines.

Old 05-18-2002, 10:44 AM
Pro Rider

Just a list of things I have witnessed while riding.

1- A piped and PROPERLY jetted Raptor will eat a Cannondale I have 5 in my imediate family ALL have done it.(this in the sand)

2- There is no way by making a hill longer gives the tourque of the Raptor a dissadvantage.

3- I too have ridden every Cannondale except for the Moto it does not have the pull in the upper gears that my bike does.

4- Every Dale I have raced we have switched riders same result.

5- If you pipe your bike (any bike) &amp; do not open up the intake side and add fuel accordingly you my friend have not gained much.

6- I have also raced many a piped Raptor that did not fare well.

My point just because a Raptor is piped &amp; someone dropped an air filter in DOES not mean they have hit the magic 45-50 horse range this takes TUNING!

Old 05-18-2002, 01:11 PM
Pro Rider

Wow! Sure spun those Suzuki guys up, huh?! Lol.

Seriously, the Qracer 250, Tecate4, and TRX250R were all very even when they were new but who races stockers? You cannot deny that there is very little out there in the way of aftermarket goodies for the Suzukis compared to 250Rs, Banshees and Raptors. Why is that? Could be because very few people race them, huh? And don't tell me about how good the 500 &quot;Quadzilla&quot; is, I have been around three and four wheelers since '83 and distinctly remember seeing those poor guys with their big, bad, shiny new Qracer 500s getting BEAT DOWN top end and acceleration by little Banshees, and let's not even get into modified machines.... I was also referring to the 500's tendancy to run lean and burn itself up, not wore out/broken cases. Sorry for the confusion and I can't really say anything about bad parts anyway, hearing all these stories about 01 Raptors eating their trannies is making me scared for my machine![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 05-18-2002, 02:03 PM
Pro Rider

Again... I must say that you are ignorant. (about the LT500)
Even a stock LT500 will trounce even a slightly/moderately modified banshee.
Stock for stock, its not even close. I have done it with my stock Zilla. (when it was stock)
You must be getting memmories confused... also about the Zillas leaning out and burning up. That is rediculous. They dont lean out and burn up ANY more than any other 2 stroke. (EXEPT when those cases start to go, in which case they do start to run lean)

I dont really care about how long you have been around 3 &amp; 4 wheelers....
you are showing pure ignorance in that post.

ps. Im no Zuki boy either. Look at my sig.... I know what Hondas are
all about.

Old 05-18-2002, 02:27 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

Well MR350X i can't tell you weather some one is ignorant or not but i can tell you if you follow our local racing you will find.we at SWREPAIR racing sponsor
one of the baddest lt500 out here and ill tell you a banshee is very much a contender.stock modified what have you they keep up and pass us.Yes we won our class at the cop classic last year.So it think that makes us a little faster than the average.don't get me wrong we love our zilla but it took a lot to get it where its at.

Old 05-18-2002, 02:51 PM
Pro Rider

I agree that the banshee is deffinetly a contender in any kind of a race.
What im talkin about is stock levels though.
Just joe shmoe at the dunes. Stock for stock, the Zilla is faster. Quite a bit faster.
Once you start majorly modding, the banshee has just as much potential as the Zilla. (maybe more?) In this case, its mostly &quot;he with the most money wins&quot;.

Quick Reply: raptor versus z400