Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Trespassing??

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2000, 12:31 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone on here ever trespass on private property? If so, Why??

Old 03-05-2000, 01:25 AM
Trailblazer

Timberwolf_99,

I may be wrong, but my guess is that most riders who trespass (since the word trespass implies knowingly riding on private property without permission)will not admit doing so, and those of us who do not will reply why it is detrimental to all ATVers for riders to willingly and knowingly trespass on private property.

Are you just wanting to take a poll, or trying to see what percentage of confessed trespassers are caught?

The existence of a piece of property coupled with an ATV owners need or desire to have a place to ride does not inherently give said ATV owner the right to go where he or she wants to.

I may be venting here, but recently my friends and I had riding privilege revoked on a property where people were riding without persmission, and venturing into areas we were asked not to ride. I think they probably assumed that the presence of an existing ATV trail gave them the right to follow, but they didn't stop there.

Yammer_Hummer
To borrow a signature, "It doesn't matter what we ride, just that we ride where we are supposed to"

Old 03-05-2000, 02:24 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trespass? The word should be defined. I beleive the legal definition varies from state to state.

My understanding (quite possibly in error), in some areas, the legal act of trespassing requires knowing entry by the perpetrator onto property where he's forbidden, or entry onto another's property for the purpose of doing harm.

For example, passing across unmarked property may not be trespass; entering property with clearly marked "posted" signs, or refusing to leave when asked, is criminal trespass.

So, a meaningful response requires definition of the word, "trespass." Also, the purpose of the question (as Yammer Hummer mentions), and the motivation of someone incriminating himself, admitting illegal behavior by answering "yes," to it, remain puzzling.

Tree Farmer

Old 03-05-2000, 12:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

Let's see,from my house I cruise a residential street,then along grass near an interstate,then across several farm fields,some county roads,then through a land fill,along railroad tracks,forest preserves,etc,etc.Most riders I know in this area are in the same boat.I`ve been riding for 20 years and the key here is respect,respect,respect! Slow down near people,don`t drive over sowed fields or crops,take the long way around,if asked to leave do so and not return.I think you all get the picture."Tread lightly" and hopefully we`ll all have fun in this not so perfect world!

Old 03-05-2000, 07:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

YES I DO TRESSPASS AS ABOVE STATEMENT ME HAVE NO PUBLIC AREA TO RIDE LEGALY SOME TIMES YOU HAVE TO DITCH THE MAN OTHERTIMES YOU GO RIGHT BYE AND WAVE NICELY HERE IN WLFD CT YOU ARE NOT REQUIRED TO REGISTER A ATV BUT IF YOU GET CAUGHT BYE THE MAN YOU GET A FINE FOR OPPERATING UNREGISTERED MOTOR VEHICLE AND IF YOU ARE ON PRIVATE PROPERTY YOU GET SIMPLE TRESSPASS THE FINE IS $78 FOR UNREG. AND $78 FOR SIMPLE TRESSPASS! I AM A VERY RESPECTIBLE RIDER I DONT GO RACIN AROUND TILL IM OUT OF SIGHT AND CAN'T BE HEARD!TREAD LIGHTLY OVER ALL PRIVATE LANDS AND HAVE PERMISSION FOR SOME OF 30 ACRES ITS VERY NICE WITH PERMISSION SLIPS YOU HAVE NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT!