Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

First impression of 20" tires on Raptor front

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2002, 08:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well before the big collision with the face of the lander (see another post for details), I got about an hour to feel out the new Maxxis Razrs (20X6X10) on the front. It made a huge difference in handling and especially with the powerslides. With the 22X7X10s, I always felt like the front tire was about to grab too much and put me over. I could just feel the weight of the entire quad leaning into the front tire. Not an issue with the 20" tires. I was rounding turns in 3rd gear and shifting to 4th with awesome slides and confidence.

I think I paid $39 each for them and mounted them on a spare set of stock rims so I can still trail ride with the 22" tires. It is worth a try for those looking for better handling. Braking action is a little different. You can put the front tires into a dead stop with very little effort so you have to be careful at first.

I am now wonder how 18" rears would feel especially if I played with the gearing.

/NotuRaptor

Old 05-28-2002, 12:44 PM
Range Rover

Noto,

Just ran my first race with the 18-11-9 Holeshot MXs. One word, AWSOME! They slide when you want them to slide and hook up when you're lugging it and then romping on it the just bite. The size and profile are awsome. I used them at Southwick, MA one of the most sandiest tracks and they were great. The only complaint I have had from them is leaking beads. I got them on Douglas 190s and when I went to put them on the beads were leaking. I had bought them from K&K ATV and took them back to them, because I live close to them. They pumped them up to almost fifty pounds to seat the beads and I didn't ride them or lower them till a week later a Southwick. Aired them down and rode my first moto and even in the soft sand they hooked up so much that they started to spin on the rim.
I took them back to K&K and they said that it is because of the Raptor's torque. Said might have to look into bead locks. They cleaned the beads up and reseated them and they appear to be holding but I haven't ridden them yet. Got another race in two weeks there and I'm gonna run probably 20 pounds, more than I ever run and see what happens. Other than that though they have been awsome. Hope it helps.

Old 05-28-2002, 06:53 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

NotuRaptor2 do they have the same tread pattern as The taller Razors? Where did you get them? Raptorguy is right about the MXs. I had a chance to try some out at a gravel pit, wow. When I wear out the ones I have now thats what I will buy.