Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Hey Knowsalot Please L@@K!! or anyone else with raptor starter problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2002, 08:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last Thursday my raptor starter decides to to take a dump along with the starter clutch. Local yam dealer wants to replace all parts including both idler gears (part #'s 5LP-15517-00-00,1VJ-15512-00-00) He calls today and says Idler gears back ordered at Yam and no ship date available. Is he on the up and up ?? What about yamaha of troy or is there a part# that can be cross referenced ?? Just dont want to wait for the dreaded yamaha back order line "could be 1 week, might be 6 months no really knows except yamaha"

Anyone else ideas ??

Michael

Old 05-28-2002, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider

sorry to say but welcome to the club!
I have been waiting for gears for my tranny for 9 weeks because of back ordered parts. I don't know what the answer is but if you figure it out than please let me in on it![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]I guess the next time buy 2 machine's so when one is broke you can ride the other[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]I have talked with Yamaha and dealers and high performance places,have turned myself inside out, got mad,screamed,swear and everything else you can think of and the bottom line is that I am still without my machine. I guess when your as big as Yamaha is than you don't care about the guy sitting home waiting for parts, just as long as the gut sitting home comes in to buy a Yamaha wheeler there job is complete[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 05-28-2002, 11:32 PM
The Facility

Yamaha has had more problems than usual with back order delays for the past two to three years. Honda isn't far behind either.

If the part is on back order from Yamaha, the only other way to get the parts without waiting for the back order is to find the parts already in stock at another dealer.

There is no method to track down dealers who have these items without calling them one at a time, which is humanly impossible.[unless you are very determined].

Yamaha can't simply give you the names of dealers who have ordered them, because Yamaha has no idea if the parts were for someones quad or if they were stock items. There is no way for Yamaha to tell, so determining which dealers have the parts in stock is impossible by going by dealer parts invoicing.

As far as getting a release date:
Yamaha doesn't post release dates if they have a part on back order and their is high demand for that part...HOWEVER....all your dealer has to do is simply CALL [not internet] their regional parts co-ordinator and they will give a "guess" at the release date and also tell you how many people are waiting on the same part in front you. At least find out where stand in line. If they you that they have 1000 gears coming in mid-June...doesn't mean a thing if you are #1001 on the waiting list. You are simply the first guy in line when the part comes in.....say...mid-July.

Call your dealer and have him/her call Yamaha. Do that first.

If the findings aren't up to snuff with you, make some calls to other dealers in hope of finding one..or wait in line.

I see this everyday. Hope this helps you understand a bit about the process more anyway.

Patrick

Old 05-29-2002, 09:23 AM
Pro Rider

Do you have both part #'s in stock or know of a dealer in the south that does ?? Sounds funny maybe but I'd rather buy them, ship them over night on my dime than to not ride for 4-6 weeks , maybe more. If ya do PM me please.

Michael

Old 05-29-2002, 09:47 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I know how you feel! Been there and done that. Go to Yamaha's web site and do a dealer search on your state.....then expand your search as necessary. If you are dedicated and have the time, you should find those parts.

Old 05-29-2002, 10:47 PM
Pro Rider

<< Last Thursday my raptor starter decides to to take a dump along with the starter clutch. Local yam dealer wants to replace all parts including both idler gears (part #'s 5LP-15517-00-00,1VJ-15512-00-00) He calls today and says Idler gears back ordered at Yam and no ship date available. Is he on the up and up ?? What about yamaha of troy or is there a part# that can be cross referenced ?? Just dont want to wait for the dreaded yamaha back order line &quot;could be 1 week, might be 6 months no really knows except yamaha&quot;

Anyone else ideas ??

Michael
>>

Give East Coast ATV a call they have used parts for sale.
215-541-0443

Old 05-29-2002, 10:51 PM
Pro Rider

<< Do you have both part #'s in stock or know of a dealer in the south that does ?? Sounds funny maybe but I'd rather buy them, ship them over night on my dime than to not ride for 4-6 weeks , maybe more. If ya do PM me please.

Michael
>>

If East coast ATV cant help you call Cal ATV.
I think your only bet is to find a salvage dealer.

Old 05-29-2002, 11:03 PM
Pro Rider

Hows this sound guys.... I've located the gears at a local performance shop who checked his source and was told there was no BO from Yam. Now who do I believe ??? The shop has told me I can have the gears if I want to buy them at a a fair price or my Yam dealer can buy them from him also albeit at a mark up...stay tuned...

Michael

Old 05-30-2002, 09:29 AM
Pro Rider

Old 05-30-2002, 11:15 PM
The Facility

Too many &quot;middle-men&quot; in this one. I would only take the word of a franchised Yamaha dealer instead of a hop up shop. Who knows who is right?

I'm going to run both of those numbers myself first thing in the morning. I'll let you know what I find.

Quick Reply: Hey Knowsalot Please L@@K!! or anyone else with raptor starter problems