Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Keeping it on all fours...Grizzly jumping.. ;)

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2002, 07:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, i decided to take her for a spin and see how she was doing....btw, this is the ride that i blew the hose on too....

We headed north, trying to find a way to the triple A road that runs east and west through the north part of the UP. There was a pass called Mulligans Pass and is VERY hard to cross without having a winch on every bike. So we put it off till i was with a better group to ride with. (wife and another female companion was on this trip) The women dont have a problem "trying" the different holes, just that they dont like jumping off into the soup to hook the winch up.

After turning around, we decided just to put around the 70 mi trail system that we normally hang around. BUT, we found a small gravel pit that someone has put alot of work into... There was a couple of double jumps and some REALLY tall jumps that i think are more for the dirt bikes than a quad...at least i didnt fair well on them [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

All of us went over the jumps, starting at really slow speeds just to get a feel for them...My wife kept it, right at that speed.. I, for another part, had the urge to go a little faster.. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Well, i can say, that the 27" tires DO rub after hitting some of these jumps... but that is not the reason that i put these tires on..i put them on, to get me through the muck to where i wanna go...

There was one jump, i would say, about 7 feet high and made out of sand. Every pass, i just gave her a lil more gas...i was doing fine with catching about 2-4 feet of air and landing without a hitch! But, boys must be boys, and i had to hit it almost wide open..Everyone was watching at this point because we were all ready to get back on the trails and head out...So around i went...hit the top of the jump....and PEGGED it!

The feel was awsome...i caught nearly 8-9 feet of air. The bike on the other hand, didnt like it too much... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

About half the distance to landing, the bike decided to dump me for the landing.... I was around 3-4 feet off the ground and the bike went left, i went right... All i can say is.. "thank god for sand".

I was afraid that my wife was watching and that she would throw a fit with what i did and start yelling...so i jumped back on the bike as fast as i could, hoping that she didnt see me..

When i rode over to the group, to my surprise, my wife had already headed down the trail and missed the whole event. The other riders in the group were laughing thier A$$'s off. I asked them what was so funny????

They said, they had never seen someone get dumped off a bike....only to get back on, FASTER than they were thrown! Remind you, this is with one leg...lol

I really wish that we would have had a cam corder with us!! Brian, another of the riders, said that i would have won the funniest home video...hands down.

So for all of you out there that say, keep it on all fours.... SORRY! I couldnt help it...must have been that evil second half [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Jonathan

Old 05-30-2002, 08:31 PM
Trailblazer

LMAO.... great story [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I jump mine every chance I get, and I have been dumped/bailed several times, but I usually shake it off for a sec, not jump right back on... lol. You're a tough nut [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-30-2002, 08:34 PM
Trailblazer

Jonathan,

That Sounds like something I would try... Sounds like fun..

When you went up mulligan pass, Did you catch it off the Red Road? Thats the way we went to BigBay last weekend. I made it thru No problems, But the Polaris 700 had to get pulled out 3 times.. Great ride..

2002 Grizz
27" ITP 589's
2500 Warn

Old 05-30-2002, 08:46 PM
Trailblazer

Hey, Looks like Saturday is going to be nice, Up for a ride? I'll come up there, You can shoe me your new playground. Know where theres any mud at up there?

Old 05-30-2002, 10:17 PM
Pro Rider

FROGMAN,
LMAO BUDDY!!! so, you tried to emulate evil canivel, heehee. jumping such a bike is not too easy. the approch is everything!! just as soon as you think you have got it, it will bite ya, lol. glad to hear you and your quad are o.k, and i too wish you had a camcorder with ya! the way you talk about it there, is just like my dream spots to ride at! i am only hoping i can find the time to wonder up there, so i too can have such fun one day!
i ground out 1 inch of my rear fenders so i can jump without and hitting, and it worked. keep it on all fours, lmao!!! boy, can i say the rong things at the wrong time, heehee.

my pictures

Old 05-30-2002, 11:27 PM
Pro Rider

thanks guys for the responses! lol

Mike, We are going riding this weekend if my bike is out of the shop. They are putting the new radiator hose on, but it was on back order. Hope that it comes in tomarrow. I just got off the phone with brian (on wolflake rd) and he said that we are planning a ride. Would be nice to make it through Mulligans and check out the river to see if it is passable. Did you cross the river?

I know there is a bridge across it, but it sits in the middle in the deepest part and you have to get out to it. Last fall, bro took a 2x4 with him and made it out to the bridge and just jumped the bike to the other side. He was riding a dirt bike.

You know that you are always welcome to come out this way and ride....

Gemme a call.

Jonathan

Old 05-31-2002, 04:05 AM
Pro Rider

My grizz doesn't seem to be as happy about flying as my rancher(which is happy as a clam on many dirt bike hill/jumps.) I was wondering if I ought to stiffen it up a little bit for more stable take offs, also it seems to want to nose dive a bit, not sure for the cure for that either( maybe stiffer front would keep the nose high for landing.) I find it disconcerting to land nose first-it seems to amplify any other errors in flight.

Old 05-31-2002, 07:13 AM
Pro Rider

As far as everyone that i ride with that ride the griz, ALL have stiffen the shocks to max. I really cant tell a loss in ride quality (as far as taking the bumps on fast trails, but i can tell you, i am able to handle the bike alot better. In tight, fast corners, it is day and night different. The nose doesnt dive at all. I have also learned that when you are going into the corner, if you let off, the bike wants to dive because of the ebs. If you keep some throttle as your going into the corner and then gun it about halfway, the bike will break and spin right out. That is the best way to aproach the corners at high speeds for me. When jumping, i really couldnt tell you. I have a rear storage box that is full of stuff, 27" tires, and about 250 pounds of A$$ on the bike. I dont think there is a bike out there that wouldnt smack bottom on me...hehe

I am really not a jumper...though i have to admit...it was really fun!

My bike is setup to get me there, as i have said before. All i can say is, tighten up those shocks to the max and i dont think that you will be disapointed.

As all say: "It depends on your riding style". [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Jonathan

Old 05-31-2002, 07:15 AM
Pro Rider

Repete,

Did you make the bumper and reciever yourself?

If so, do you plan on selling it?

Would be curious on how much that outfit would cost.

One of the worst things is, being stuck in a Bog and the only tree is BEHIND me!

Let me know...

Jonathan

Old 05-31-2002, 08:14 PM
Trailblazer

We crossed the river twice. There was a bridge across the yellow dog last year, But not now. Water took it out. But there is a nice crossing right there. When and where for the ride?

Quick Reply: Keeping it on all fours...Grizzly jumping.. ;)