Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

best trails in the 48 states?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2002, 01:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

of the 48 connecting states, who would say they ride the nicest 4x4 trails. you can include scenery, mud, water, rocks, distance, and even weather.
where would these trails be at, and how long would the season last there?
thanks for the replys!!!

my pictures

Old 06-04-2002, 08:58 PM
Pro Rider

noone has a favorite place to ride in the country??? come on guys.

Old 06-04-2002, 10:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Heres some from Southern California. The first one is of Cleghorn rd. From the parking area theres approx 20 miles or so of trails and fire roads. The weather here ranges from 20's-100+ degrees, with snow, rain and sunshine. Elevation is from 3-4500'. Open all year round. Let the pages load all the way before clicking on the pictures to see larger versions.

Cleghorn Rd

This one is of the trail system behind Lake Arrowhead in Southern California. There is aprox 99 miles of trails and fire roads here. Weather is from the low teens to 90-100 degrees, with snow, rain, and sunshine. Elevation ranges from 4500'-6000+'. Open all year round.

Lake Arrowhead

Once again, let the page load all the way before clicking on a picture. It may take a couple minutes to load all the way, but once done the larger version will show imediatly once clicked. These are just 2 areas. Theres a vast desert and of course Glamis, Dumont dunes and Pismo (Oceano Dunes) with in a few hours. These are less than an hour from me and cleghorn is actualy 20 minutes from my home. Enjoy

Old 06-05-2002, 10:19 AM
Pro Rider

thats some serious mountain riding ,lol. thanks for the pics, and the responce to the post! i am planning some get aways for the next year or 2, and need imput. my next trip is for 5 days, then i am going to the u.p. of michigan for 4 or 5 days. i have family in arizona, and they keep telling me to get my quad out there, to check out the mountains, now i see why!

my pictures

Old 06-05-2002, 05:15 PM
Trailblazer

In my opinion the Hatfield & McCoy Trail System located in Southern West Virginia is the best trail system (www.trailsheaven.com)in the nation. The system has now over 500 miles of trails and the mountains are awesome to ride in. If you want any details or even a local guide who can take you on even better trails than what the Hatfield & McCoy has to offer contact www.wvtrailguides.org

Old 06-06-2002, 06:14 AM
Pro Rider

Well guys,

You know that i am going to say.... THE U.P. OF MICHIGAN! There are pics here and there of our area, but you are not seeing the whole picture. The land here runs from rivers, creeks, lakes, ponds, waterfalls, outcroppings, valleys, gorges, etc. for the scenery. The weather is almost always mild (summer that is). As for the riding...there is everything from fast trail, sand dunes, gravel pits, logging trails, swamps, bogs...almost everything that i can think of as far as riding conditions. Just not the extreme HEAT! hehe. That is a plus to me. I like to be able to wear a rain jacket/pants and not burn up. The mud here, ranges from sandy water to the extreme black goo. You can camp on almost any lake up here (minimal DNR fee) and dont have to find a parking area either. Most places, you can ride from wherever you are staying...be it, at the motel/lodge/campground or where ever. Riding season varies. Usually, you can ride from March thru December. Depends on the snow fall. Once there is a large amount of snow, you have to sway from the larger trails because they are groomed for snowmobiling. And it really doesnt matter anyway, the snow is just to darn deep!

Riding is almost free. The only fee is the sticker for the state. It runs about 17 bucks? i think...cant remember, just know that you can get one, anywhere that they sell hunting/fishing license. The good thing is...its for the whole year. I dont think that i would ever pay just to ride for one day. As far as milage of trails...the last trail review that i read, stated that there are about 3000 miles of marked trails and another 2000+ unmarked/ungroomed. The UP is not very large, but there seems to be a trail almost everywhere you go. There are only a few counties that dont support trails.

Today, i was talking to the DNR and they stated that Marquette county is close to opening up to allow ATV's on side roads. That will make 4 counties in one area that are ATV friendly. Several people that i have riden with, say that as long as you are riding correctly along side the road, to get to a trail system, and not breaking land record speeds...that the Law enforcement will not bother you (that's in Marquette county).

Another nice thing about here is, the wildlife. So far, i have seen, 4 moose (a mother with a baby that is staying in one area for anyone who would like to see one), bobcat's, bears, eagles, cougar...and the most endangered species...the ATV rider...hehe

Vary rare, do i cross paths with someone else that is riding. There are so many places to ride that you can get lost easily and not see ANYONE your whole trip. The lodging is cheap, the food is good, and the beer is even better...lol

There are alot of "scheduled" rides in our area. So you can always find a group to ride with, if that is what you want. Or, you can just write me, and i will go! The people that live in this area, are very laid back and care free. The only thing that is ever asked, is respect the property of others. If it is posted, dont enter, if there is a camp, dont bother it, and if you borrow it, replace it in the same condition or better that when you got it.

You will meet alot of Finish folk up here. The accent is nice, and they have some interesting dishes as well. Its almost like going to a different country and they speak English!

If anyone ever wants info on where to stay, where to ride, you can write me and i would be happy to get the info that you need. Marquette county area (or surroundings) that is.

Jonathan

Old 06-12-2002, 09:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I must agree with wshrdskin.I've been riding/4-wheelin in these hills for 20 years.We got sand,Mud,snow(occasionally),rocks,fish,gold panning,streams,history and scantily clad ladies!

100 miles north and I'm at Dumont.200 miles south and I'm at Glamis.

Old 06-12-2002, 09:36 PM
Pro Rider

Ok.... For those who don't mud.... Utah has (in my biased opinion) the most diverse riding there is to have. From the red rocks of moab to the high altitudes of the rocky mountains then there is the paiute trail system in the middle somewhere.

Old 06-12-2002, 09:54 PM
Pro Rider

Missouri has:
Chadwick ORV area
Finger Lakes ORV
St. Joe at Park Hills
Deepwater ORV
Mark Twain at Glade Top
Mark Twain at Roaring river
Mark Twain at Shell ****
Suttons Bluff ORV area
and several other areas that I have probably overlooked. If anyone else in Missouri knows of any area's that I missed please let me know.
HAVE TRAILER AND WILL TRAVEL

Old 06-12-2002, 11:18 PM
Pro Rider

I just got back from the Black hills. We had 4 days of riding and covered 400+ miles. We stayed in Deadwood and rode straight out of camp. There are endles snowmobile trails and fire roads and such forth. We stayed within a 30x10 mile area and probobly only hit less than 1/3 of the trails in that area. There are endless miles of trails the senery is awsome we saw close to 100 deer. Two of which i abought hit. probobly 12 elk and a lot of turkys. You have to go early in the year though because ranchers start closing gates to graze catle and the fire hazzerd goes up latter in the year.

Quick Reply: best trails in the 48 states?