Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Sputtering and the sparkplug boot!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2002, 03:30 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all,

I have been doing a lil work on the griz and have finally finished the side panel mods. I hope to post pics soon.

Now for some interesting observation and testing. I have been having problems with the griz sputtering and die'n in water. ITS now resolved. With opening the side panels, there is less chance of getting steam in the intake. AND i removed the plug and put dielectric grease in the boot. What i noticed was, the dealer/myself/and a friend were putting the boot itself on WRONG. If you notice, the boot has a rubber gromet/lipped ring at the top. It is also "cut" to fit only ONE WAY onto the head. First, add a little grease to this rubber and make sure that you "snap" it back into place like it is suppose to be. I really had to fiddle with it, to get it on there the right way. You have to "work" it into place, with the indentions at the bottom and make sure that it actually SNAPS/LOCKS on the head. You will have to push the lip on "ALL THE WAY AROUND". It isnt all that easy. I ended up using a screwdriver to get it to snap into place. I also noticed, that if you dont get it on all the way, that water will seep into the boot area and cause it to ground out AND it wont drain off. The water gets locked inside. This is where i was getting the water on the sparkplug. If put on right, it will keep all water from even reaching the plug.

I wish that i would have noticed this earlier or had at least the dealer tell me about it....but even the dealer didnt notice this/know about it.

Check your bikes out...and let me know if YOURS is seated all the way on BEFORE you pull it off.

THANKS
Jonathan

Old 06-19-2002, 11:09 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Good tip there for Griz and Raptor owners.

Old 06-19-2002, 01:26 PM
Pro Rider

If your seal isn't seated properly you will get crap in the spark plug hole. Always blast the hole with compressed air before removing the plug or all that crap will be in your motor. Fortunatly I blew mine out the first time I changed my plug because the base of the plug was rusted when I pulled it out.

I have large hands so it is very dificult to put the seal back on, I always change the plug when I adjust the valves (every 20 hours), It makes it a lot easier to put the seal in correctly with the tank off.

Old 06-19-2002, 10:48 PM
Pro Rider

You are adjusting your valves every 20 hours..what's wrong with you,you should do it much more often!
Joe

Old 06-19-2002, 11:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yep I can tell you this from expierence. About two months ago I washed mine very well. I didn't notice until I pulled the plug afterwards that the boot wasn't sealled right. When I pulled the plug it filled, about a teasoon, my motor with the sand that I justed washed in it.

20 hours is soon enough. Heck I have riden 20 hours in one weekend.

Old 06-20-2002, 12:35 AM
Pro Rider

colt77, if you say 20 hours is too long between valve adjustments I'll take your word for it & start adjusting them every 19.9 hours!! LOL!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-20-2002, 03:03 AM
Pro Rider

I wish that i could do the valve job myself...cause i know that i would do it every .....ummm...say 40 hours? lol. Mine needs done, but dont want to pay the darn dealer to do it. SOMEDAY, i will get the tool collection back up and FEEL ok to do it!

Wish i had one of those hydraulic lifts!

Jonathan

Old 06-25-2002, 08:38 PM
Trailblazer

Any picts yet?

Old 06-26-2002, 12:54 AM
Pro Rider

Pics of what?

If you are talking about my bike...i have some side panel pics and that's about it....

I have a photo album started with over 75 pics, but no scanner. If you are reffering to me, let me know what ya would like a pic of on the bike and i will take a dig and post it on yahoo.

Yahoo address is : frogman_28

Let me know.

Jonathan

Old 06-26-2002, 09:44 AM
Trailblazer

<< I have been doing a lil work on the griz and have finally finished the side panel mods. I hope to post pics soon. >>

I was mainly talking about the boot cover. But not having a scanner makes it hard, god bless digital cameras.

Quick Reply: Sputtering and the sparkplug boot!