Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Another Raptor Looses 2nd Gear!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2002, 03:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, someone else is telling me to replace the clutch and basket while I'm in there! I didn't know this was such a problem...is it?

Without the clutch idea, I have yet a dilemma!

Either I shoot for Fortin gears (without other damage or other parts)
OR
shoot for the '02 gears and a high compression piston, cam, and springs. (no bore)

But either way ~ I am hooked on the Raptor! And have been since day one!! It will thump down the trails again.

Old 06-27-2002, 03:18 PM
Pro Rider

Eraptoid

If I were you I would replace the clutch basket and switch over to Hinson brand. That what I did. Since the stock allow little oil flow to clutch area. The hinson allow much more oil flow to clutch area. That way the clutch will tend to last longer.

Old 06-27-2002, 03:48 PM
Pro Rider

DSRACERS, are you saying just change the basket and get better life out of the stock clutch? I guess that is an idea to kick around. How much does the Hinson basket run? There are so many places to get that stuff from.

They haven't upgraded the tranny since the '02 so I'm assuming they are the same for the '03's. Which I am going to believe that this is a done deal on the fix. I have to believe these '02 trannies are holding up...and even to some very built motors. I am leaning towards the '02 gears more and more ($$) hearing about the other stuff that may need it, and the other stuff that I WANT TO DO!

Old 06-27-2002, 04:18 PM
Pro Rider

eRAPTOID

The hinson clutch basket run about $225 and the pressure plate run about $175.
I don't have the pressure plate yet since they didn't came out when I install mine last yr.

I have read several article of dirtwheel and ATV sport mags, I can't remember what month of it.
Some of the engine builter do recommend doing it.

Go to Hinsonracing.com and see it for yourself.

For the price you can get anywhere.... unless you have buddy discount price from the bikeshop you go to?

This is your call on this.

Bill

Old 06-27-2002, 04:22 PM
Pro Rider

Iv never heard these problems on a 400ex [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Ill never own a raptor.

Old 06-27-2002, 04:29 PM
Pro Rider

Get a 400ex, and you wont be having problems being stranded around wild dogs. I was riding at night through a forest on a sp500, and a wild dog was chasing me, i stopped, looked at it, it was growling and its mouth was slimy, i got off, got a branch chucked it at it, and kicked it in the face.. it ran away crying. If a dog tries to bite me.. ill bite it the hell back! and kick its ***.. the only thing it has that you dont is the ego to bite. disable its enabilty to bite, and kick its ***. whatever you do, dont hold its mouth shut .. iv tried. it hurts.

Old 06-27-2002, 04:42 PM
Elite Pro Rider

The voice of reason and knowledge has spoken. Breaking between frenzied sessions.

Old 06-27-2002, 06:01 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

LOL!

Gary,
Second gear is way over rated! You Raptor boys don't need Second gear.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Sincerly,
DS owner.

Biggerisbetter.

Old 06-27-2002, 06:16 PM
Pro Rider

I may have found my savior in this matter. The guy at my local Yamaha dealer that I have good relations with is hooking me up. I found out that I am friends with his cousin too. Now I guess I'm friends with him (yee haw). I am getting the '02 gears, and my upgrade parts at cost! He is going to do the work for me (outside) instead of the $65hr labor, it will be $20hr. That's where I'm heading for now....I will keep ya updated.

Oh yeah, we are still fighting to get the gears paid for through Yami!

Old 06-27-2002, 06:28 PM
RIP Dear Friend

copguy02foremanS,

Its quite obvious that the wild dogs where you live are not as wild as here if it just takes shaking a stick.

If I was to shake a stick at the wild dogs,there mouths would be slimy from laughing to hard a my stick.

copguy02foremanS says Someday...I WANT TO LIVE IN ALASKA! WITH ALL MY TOYS!

I'll tell you one thing, the shaking stick don't work with those grizzly bears up there in Alaska.

I SUGGEST copguy02foremanS you play DEAD before shaking your stick again.

Chet[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Another Raptor Looses 2nd Gear!