Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Another Raptor Looses 2nd Gear!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2002, 06:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Raptoid, That's great news!! WHOO~HOO!! Looks like you'll have it up & running in no time!!
You're gonna like the 02 gear ratios!!

Old 06-27-2002, 08:09 PM
Range Rover

Swytak,

About that oil pump gear. I see what you mean about the basket and gear assembly being sold as a single unit. And all I can say is, HOLY S@*T! If that little nylon gear gets trashed, it costs $255 to replace the whole assembly? That's just not right. Is there any way that you could see or think of to replace that thing without replacing the whole assembly?

Old 06-28-2002, 10:31 AM
Pro Rider

Would it be possible to use a steel gear to replace the nylon one?

Old 06-28-2002, 12:18 PM
Pro Rider

FourStrokeFan,

Being that I am out of town on business (in Dallas-Texas), I haven't been able to reply timely(taking a break for just a minute here).

As for trying to not replace the whole assembly, I looked, pondered and looked some more as to how it could be done. It just doesn't look like it would be an easy task, but I wish someone would come up with a fix to do so. I am also using a Hinson Basket.
Yes, the little engineer that came up with that clutch basket assembly should be shot!

I unfortunately, have had to replace this assembly twice now. Just to break it and tear it apart for the oil pump gearbecause I am using a Hinson Basket. If someone really had the time and money, I am sure you could change both nylon oil pump gears to metal. It would be costly and take some time!

Let me know if anone comes up with a fix!

Swy

Old 06-28-2002, 02:48 PM
Pro Rider

Swytak, how long are you in Dallas for. Aledo drags and dyno day is tomorrow and we are only about an hour from Dallas

Old 06-28-2002, 04:07 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for the reply, Swytak.

I'm probably going to tear the clutch out on my recently acquired second Raptor and take a look. The previous owner lost second and now I'm worried.

Old 06-28-2002, 04:12 PM
Pro Rider

RaptorRRC,

My flight leaves at 4:45 today. I will be back in Chicago by 7:00. I will be here again in about a month or so.

FourStrokeFan,

No problem. AND BE SURE to let us all know if you find a good upgrade for that oil pump gear!

Also, Look at your question in the 686 post topic. I answered your question and or shed some light for you to think about.

Later,
Swy

Old 06-28-2002, 06:41 PM
Pro Rider

Have any of you guys thought about having your gears isotropic treated to help prevent these failures? I don't claim to understand completely the second gear failures the '01 Raptors are having but it might be a wise $200 spent. I recently had this done to my R's gears when I had it rebuilt. For those of you not familiar with this, it's a chemical process of "coating" the gears which in turn hardens the metal which in turn helps prevents gear wear and failures. Supposedly most all the pro quad racers have this treatment done.

Old 06-29-2002, 06:01 PM
Pro Rider

Gary, have you torn into yours yet? If so, what have you found? I'm taking mine to my mechanic tonight. He should have it torn down in a few days to find out what all damage has occurred.

My decision has been made: I am going with the '02 gears and a high compression piston and the 80-411 (midrange) Webcam and some port work. That is the jist of my plan. I will let you know what we find out once we are in there....

Old 07-01-2002, 12:37 AM
Pro Rider

Guys,

Why haven't the group of you formed a coalition and have a class action Lawsuit against Yamaha. I know if I go over the handle bars cause by a KNOWN problem that has yet to have a recall I'd be on the phone with two people. 1. Lawyer 2. Product Safety Board

As far as the Gear Sets for over $1,000 why don't you just buy some forged stronger material and have a local machine shop do them. Also have that little plastic gear done at the same time. With CNC they can put the piece in the machine trace it and than cut the new ones.

Just an Idea, sorry to hear about more Tranny problems.

Smitty

Quick Reply: Another Raptor Looses 2nd Gear!