Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Another Raptor Looses 2nd Gear!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2002, 09:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as most know my tranny went also.2nd gear broke and also locked up! I bought all the gears for the 02 tranny and had them put in .....I love the new ratios! I also have a 11:1 piston in the stock bore along with a web cam 696/697. This combo works GREAT! all kinds of bottom end with all kinds of top end as well! I have raced a few other Raptors and had little trouble beating them! I am not saying that this goes as good as a 686 or something like that but it does go GOOD! Next is head work. By the way the dealer had no choice but to replace my piston after the jug bolts came loose and drove the piston into the jug! I have just had a bunch of bad luck with this machine but boy its fun when its going!

Old 07-02-2002, 12:23 AM
Pro Rider

HEY, my mechanic just called (sun nite) and said he just split my case! Hell I didn't even get it dropped off at his shop (house) till 10:30 Sat night. (shhhhhhh, he's doing it on the side)

Anywho, he found that the gear dog on the 4th gear broke off and lodged in my 2nd gear when I was shifting into second gear. Now why did it break off of the 4th gear? Well that's why it locked up so quickly.

He said that we could have this thing back together by friday!! I would be tickled. Yeah I know, we still have to get ahold of the gears.
The high comp piston and Stage 1 Hotcam are both scheduled for delivery on thursday.

My Yamaha "buddy" (mentioned above) said that there is waaay too many Yamaha shops in the US of A not to find them somewhere! He said he would find them somewhere. You don't know how baaaad I'ma countin on that!!!

LAFNGAS, (nice name btw) my mechanic buddy is telling me the same thing what you are! He said this thing will really hook up and go like a big dog now, especially with the accommodating stretched swingarm. Good ole arm stretching power. That's what I'm talking about!

Wish me luck on the friggin parts y'all!!!

Old 07-02-2002, 12:02 PM
Pro Rider

My search engine on my AOL sucks!! Put in Yamaha dealerships, and get only about 13, and 10,000 other things that don't even have anything to do with dealerships ~ WTF? There should be at least 5,000 or more coming up! I need all the 1-800 numbers I can get to Yamaha shops anywhere in the USA. I am off of work today so I want to help find these gears as fast as possible!!

Can anyone help me with a bunch of phone numbers? Please PM me with them unless you think that others would like to see them as well.

I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE IT!!!

Old 07-02-2002, 12:29 PM
Pro Rider

I would go here Yamaha Dealer Locator and search by local zip codes. I think your going to be hard pressed to find a dealer with the gears in stock. I would think you would have to order them.

Old 07-02-2002, 03:41 PM
Pro Rider

I got mine from Yamaha of Troy, they if anybody, will have them in stock!

Good luck!

Old 07-02-2002, 06:32 PM
Pro Rider

Well I called Yamaha of Troy (they have 3 on back-order) and a few others with no luck.
Guess I'll play the waiting game too! I HATE HAVING TO WAIT!! We (he) could have this quad back together this weekend - Darnit!

Old 07-03-2002, 12:43 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

That sucks eRAPTOID. I'm still down too - waiting on a waterpump shaft.
Hey, have you signed on to extreme garage forums yet? they're sweet man, you can upload pictures to your posts. I gotta put my waterpump weephole mod pictures up by request, Jason's bringing the digital cam in thrusday.
Hope you get you gears soon...better check my post over at the Bomb forum - I gotta catch up!