Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Best used quad for around $1500?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2002, 10:58 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey,

alright, all my friends have 4wheelers and i've wanted one since i was like 13. i'm 18 now and have a lawn care business, so i have a little money to spend. so it's either a 4wheeler or an old Jeep but i think the CJ would end up costing me more in the long run, plus all my friends have 4wheelers.

so my question to you guys: what's the best used 4wheeler i could get for around $1500? what year, what model, what engine, what mods would get me the most for my meager cash? i'd do mostly trail riding, (no dunes really), some mud, some water, the average stuff you find going through the woods. my riding buddies consist of Scrambler 500's, a Raptor, and several 300EX's. they are all 2wd, so i guess that's what i should get also just to try to keep up, unless maybe it's a Kodiak, but i doubt i could find one of those for cheap. obviously this is the Yamaha forum, so i expect your replies to generally be Yamaha related, but if you can be honest about good ATV's from other brands too.

many thanks,
bigmac

Old 06-27-2002, 12:39 AM
The Facility

For your price range, I would look for a used 300EX or a Warrior.

Don't expect to find any Kodiaks or BigBears in this price range unless it's the older styles with the Hi/Lo sub trans. They are good work quads, but hardly anything to play on.

Old 06-27-2002, 12:53 AM
Pro Rider

Hey,

yea, those are the two quads i kinda figured would be suggested. but i thought i'd ask any ways and see if there were any other suggestions.

thanks,
bigmac

Old 06-27-2002, 01:42 AM
Pro Rider

If I only had $1500 bucks to spend I think I would probably get a Blaster...A Warrior and 300ex are pretty good as well, but they usually sell for quite a bit more so the less money you spend the worse shape it is in.

Many moons ago I picked up a 2 year old Blaster for $1500. It was in perfect shape...that was about 8 years ago and the quad is still running strong today (I know the guy who ended up buying it from me).

Stock for Stock a Warrior is faster than a Blaster and is also probably a better trail machine. The 300ex is about the same speed if not slower than the Blaster, and it too is probably a better trail machine. However, the little Blasters 2-stroke 200cc Engine isn't too bad and with a couple of mods I'm sure it would wake up a little and be ahead of both. However speed isn't everything and you'd always be missing the reverse, and a few more options that the Warrior and 300ex have.

Also, I'm not sure about where you live, but you can occasionally see old Banshee's for sale around here in the papers for about $1500. Keep in mind that none are in great shape, but what can you expect for that kind of money. A friend of mine let his '89 Banshee go in 1996 for $800...it ran perfect but the plastic was a little rough...I regret not buying it cause he offered it to me for $500. I didn't buy it cause I had girls on my mind back then (puberty can really screw up your judgement). [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Anyway, enough reminissing...Shop around...see what you can find in your price range and then post back here if you have any questions. Just call about whatever catches your eye in the paper and go try it out...bring one of your riding buddies along with you as a unbiased opinion.

One other thing...You can pick up a really decent 125cc dirtbike for that price and nobody in your group would be able to stay with ya in a race...might be a pain in the woods though [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] .

Good luck.

-Josh

Old 06-27-2002, 10:51 AM
Range Rover

in the shoot outs i've read the blaster is 1or2 mph faster than the warrior so with a pipe it shoould for what your looking for but i would agree with Piranha look for a older banshee yamaha has only changed very very few things with them so parts are every where new or used and for 1500 you could get a good runner might not look the greatest but fix that with time. i got my banshee 3 years ago for $650 guy did not know why it would not run so i got it put new reeds in and it was ready to go of course i got alot more in to it now but anyways hope to welcome you to the sport soon

Old 06-27-2002, 03:04 PM
efg
Pro Rider

I dont know but ill sell you my 300ex

Old 06-27-2002, 08:14 PM
Trailblazer

the blasters are just soo small,i would definatly ride one first to see if it was comfy for you,i think if you could come up with about 2500 you'd get one in alot better shape,i would think a 300ex or warrior also,or hey,you could get lucky and find a 400ex or a banshee,look around real hard

Old 05-26-2013, 06:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am a 400 ex fan and I don't know where you are but here in fl you can buy a good first gen 99-04 in good shape for between a grand and fifteen no problem also the 300 ex and warrior are also good bikes if your not experienced I personal ally don't recommend a two stroke for the woods just my take