Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

"400ex smokes raptor from low-mid"

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2002, 05:48 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

14 mins, as always you have spoken words of wisdom.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-28-2002, 08:01 AM
Pro Rider

Ok I guess thats funny you need to work on your delivery a little.

Old 06-28-2002, 08:40 AM
Pro Rider

I own a Raptor and a Z400 and the 400ex stock can NOT touch either bike. And if the 400ex would hang with either one then I would own a 400ex. but I'm talking about power and speed alone, and the bottom line is you may not enjoy riding the bike with the most power or speed. Ride all three bikes and make your own decision.

Old 06-28-2002, 10:31 AM
Pro Rider

Cant somebody else choose for me? When I go riding, I go down the road to a trail (reverse not needed), go down the road to my friends house to get him, (no reverse needed), and all my buddys have utility quads and a 125cc dirtbike and an 80cc dirtbike.

Slappie - I like how you described the torque, that gives me a sence of what to expect from a raptors low end, but how tippy is a raptor? can it flip over in 1st from turning to sharp? How harsh is the raptors suspention to the 400ex's? and yes, my friend was babbling on about reliability lol, he said the raptor was geared LOWER than the 400ex to compensate for its slug low end LOL! I kept telling him "660 liquid cooling vs 400 air cooling" he said "THAT DOESNT MATTER".. his name on msn is <-metal mulisha-> honkey_12@hotmail.com he's from exriders. Theyres a lot of things making me want a raptor, and a 400ex. But the z400, everybody says its the best of both worlds? Who knows, a stock 400ex might be enough power for me at the moment? I used to ride a ke100, and it only went 45mph, and going 65mph, thats a big difference. Can the 400ex wheelie in 3rd and 4th gears(is this without trying?)? What gears (without trying) can the raptor pickup the front end? Which has better suspention?....

In the long run, when im on a trail, i might need reverse, but the trails I ride are very wide! except for the forest trails, why would i want to turn around? I dont know, maybe its mud, or a tree fell over, im not that lazy to not pick it up, turn it around. But reverse would be a luxury. On my dirtbike iv only had to get off and push twice, because there was too much mud on the trail. but it was NOT a hassle. Everybody knows the EX has better handling, but when you guys say handling, what does that mean? does it mean turning radius? I dont get it.

I would choose reliability and handling and better suspention, over power and speed.

ps - better suspention?

Old 06-28-2002, 10:42 AM
Trailblazer

Sounds like your friend is trying to talk you into a 400ex so he doesn't get spanked all the time by your raptor in a drag...

Old 06-28-2002, 10:45 AM
Pro Rider

Listen don't go getting mad for me saying this, but looking at the bikes you've rode before here is a thought for you that will save you lots of money... have you considered a 300ex they are nice solid all around bikes with reverese. I say this because I don't know what other kind of bikes you have rode and jumping on a Raptor or a Z400 without being an experienced rider is a good way to find yourself wrapped around a tree or laying somewhere with a 400lb bike on top of you. Both the Z and Raptor can hurt you in a hurry neither bike has a problem with flopping back on you by simply hitting the gas in 1st or 2nd gear, and this can get you in trouble trail ridding because it is hard to stear when the front tires are not on the ground.

So unless you have more experience than you are listing please consider the 300ex or even the warrior or Blaster.

If you are serious about stepping up to the faster bikes then please be carefull while "learning" the bike or the bike will teach you real quick.

Old 06-28-2002, 11:15 AM
Pro Rider

<< Sounds like your friend is trying to talk you into a 400ex so he doesn't get spanked all the time by your raptor in a drag... >>

I think your friend is lieing also cause he doesnt want to get spanked

Old 06-28-2002, 03:22 PM
Pro Rider

LOL!

im currently riding a sp500 and a 93 rm125 with bills pipe, boyesen reeds, boyesen bowl, lots of other stuff i cant remember right now, and it spanks a 00 cr125. so please dont be thinking that i cant ride [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

I used to ride a ke100, and now i can even ride my rm to its limit. the 400ex will be underpowered compared to my rm, so, dont tell me that im not used to power [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

some questions..
Can the 400ex wheelie or catwalk by slaming the gas in 3rd or 4th?

(btw, im looking at the z400's, and i just got augest issue DW, cannibal vs z vs ex, the Z won!)

main question, can the 400ex wheelie in 3rd or 4th by hitting the gas? I want a z400, but i can only afford a 400ex, even stock, it might be the only thing i need, the only mods i would want, would be, nerfs, k&amp;n, pipe, and pep ZPS shocks, later, a wb cam, wb rev box... thats enough fer me!

Old 06-28-2002, 03:38 PM
Trailblazer

You can walk a 400 in 1st through 4th with the right amount of weight transfer...

You have a tough decision between two very nice quads, good luck...

Old 06-28-2002, 03:53 PM
Trailblazer

I don't understand why people keep comparing the two, the raptor is gonna win over and over unless the ex is modded and the raptor is stock. Another BIG issue is the RIDER. If the rider of the raptor sucks of course the ex can win. The new big issue is the Z beating raptors I just can't see it happening but I'll find out first hand if it does. I have a lot of respect for the raptors because for me it's just like the import scene. I love when some of these little civics try and race me with there 125hp it ain't happening and same for some mustangs. I had a guy roll up to me in his 01 mustang gt and he thought he was gonna kick my *** well he was pissed when I was neck and neck with him. Same thing I have a lot of respect for mustangs, thats how I see this whole ex raptor thing. JUST GO OUT RIDE AND HAVE FUN!!!!

But raptor guys just watch out for some of those ex's they might suprise you every now and then.

Quick Reply: "400ex smokes raptor from low-mid"