Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Best Sand tires for a Banshee

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2002, 02:14 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have Kenda 8 paddle haulers on my Banshee and there like half inch deep paddles.
My question is to those of you who have tried various paddles which do you like best and does a deeper paddle hook up better in the sand?

Old 06-28-2002, 04:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm, well a 22" tire is best especially if you have steep and deep sand to ride on. 20" paddles are OK for most stuff but 22" is best because of the extra clearance in the deep soft stuff.

8 paddles is a good number for all around riding. 10 paddles have a lot of drag so aren't the best for everything except drag racing but you still lose some top speed but have better holeshots.

Skat Trak Haulers are the best paddle I have used. They have a shaved carcass and the paddles are vulcanized on. They are more prone to breaking or tering than a molded paddle. The Extrem haulers are stronger and reinforced and should hold up much better. You have to be careful with either one if you have rocks, asphalt, roots and such that you have to ride on. Haulers are very light tires compared to the others.

GBC and Cheng Shin make 8 paddles that do almost as good as haulers and cost half as much. They are molded on paddles so they are less likely to break or rip. GBC only makes 20" paddles and Cheng Shin makes 20" or 22" tires.

A paddle with a rounder profile will dig deeper and hook-up better. Most straight paddles have a rounder profile while most V paddles have a flatter profile.

I have Haulers and Cheng Shin paddles. I like them both but the Cheng Shins are more durable but I give up a little performance plus they weigh more.

Straight paddles are for Banshees, Raptors, quadzillas, etc... V paddles are for less powerful machines (all Hondas, Warriors, tricycles, electric powered kiddie quads, etc) [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] that can't climb any real hills anyway so they appreciate the easier turning of the Vs.

Banshees with V paddles should be illegal.