Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

This is for the troubleshooting GODS!!! HELP, broke griz

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2002, 04:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As you all know, i have been having problems with the griz and now...well the dealer cannot figure out what is wrong.

It will not stay running when you first fire it up (only will run if you keep your thumb on the gas) and once it is warmed up...it sputters to beat all hell on even the smallest of "incline".

What has been checked:

Valves, carb, vent lines, gas cap/check valve, new plug, spark, compression, no water in gas, oil/filter, exhaust, and now working on checking ALL wiring.

For the life of me, i cannot figure this out....AND this is a bike under warranty that the dealer is doing all the work. STILL STUMPED.

I told the dealership that i would post this in great hopes that SOMEONE would have something to check/fix. PLEASE HELP!

The only mods to the bike are the DD's for tires. No bypasses have been done and the cdi has not been touched. I was hoping to start doing the bypasses and now am glad that i didnt...it might have effected the warranty work that is now being done.

Any suggestions? comments? HELP?

thanks
Jonathan

Old 07-01-2002, 04:26 PM
Pro Rider

I would have swapped parts with the wifes grizzly before taking it back to the dealer. Then take it back once I know whats wrong.

Old 07-01-2002, 04:31 PM
Pro Rider

Everything is being covered under warranty, its not costing me...just that we are at a standstill now...cant figure out what the heck is causing it!

As far as swapping parts from the wife's bike....heck i dont know what to swap out, and even then, i would still have to have it replaced. The dealer has a couple of grizzly's of his own and is using parts off of it to troubleshoot, but with no luck.

How long does one have to wait before DEMANDING a new bike from yamaha? lol

Wouldnt be bad for me...they only have 4 camo editions on the floor right now [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Jonathan

Old 07-01-2002, 04:39 PM
Pro Rider

Your right it isnt costing you anything, but riding time. I would swap out the cdi if isnt hasnt been done (shoulda been done right after compression check and carb check)

Old 07-01-2002, 06:46 PM
Pro Rider

jonathan,
sorry to hear bout this buddy, but i know your dealer will get it, there great as far as i can read!
have they done a compression test? what about the carb? it sounds like a fuel thing, but who knows. the dealer doesn't have an electrical dionostic machine?
when i had a blown head gasket on an old bike, it did exactly what your talking about! no water in the oil with it, but just a little air sucking through, enough to make it run like ****, and not idle, or rev up worth a crap. WHEN your dealer figures it out, let us know, so in the future, if it happens to anyone else, we can step up and help them.
so i take it you pulled out the dingy? ( wifes grizzly to ride while yours is down) heehee. we all need to have a spare grizzly laying around for just these surcanstances!lol. good luck!!!

my pictures

Old 07-01-2002, 06:55 PM
Pro Rider

Maybe check the stator behind the flywheel. My very first guess would be the pilot or (slow) jet in the carb. What about a air leak between the carb & engine? Just thinking!

Old 07-01-2002, 07:44 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I don't know why this would only happen on an incline but what about the choke cable being rusted up or frayed inside making the choke stick? The other thing that would come to mind would be the floats but you said they checked the carbs.

Old 07-02-2002, 02:23 AM
Pro Rider

Well, today we checked the CDI, almost all the wiring, timing, Carb (again, including choke, etc.). We ran the timing gun while riding on the trail to see if maybe there was some sort of miss...NOTHING! The carb was removed (AGAIN) to see if there were any leaks and that everything was in proper adjustment. The compression was good. The valves are right on. Here is one note....when running with the air filter off, the bike ran a little better, but still not right. All vent lines were double checked. With the voltage meter, everything was within spec.

I am to the point of requesting a new motor or a new bike. I dont know how many days that you HAVE to wait...but this is crimp'n my riding!!!

I hate riding the wife's bike. One, because we like to ride together, Two, because it's not mine!

Can a jet/pilot go bad? As i said before, the carb was clean and the floats were right on. Heck, the carb was the only thing that IS clean on my bike...lol

The dealer told me today, that the reason the bike is not running right is because it is "scared" to have me on it....GO FIGURE...hehe

I am just hoping that the bike is fixed this week, because we have a ride planned over the 4th weekend. We were planning on a couple hundred mile ride to the family camp and riding anywhere and everywhere inbetween. It is 75 miles to the camp and the WHOLE family is going to be there for a somewhat "reunion". There is 17 bro's and sis's and 46 total nieces and nephews. I am married to the second from the youngest. They range from 22 to 53 (the sisters and brothers) and my wife has nieces and nephews that are older than her! Anyways, i was wanting to take alot of the family out on short rides to get them "hooked" so we can start our OWN atv club...lol

I promise to let you know what happens. Any other comments welcome!!!

Jonathan

Old 07-02-2002, 02:54 AM
Pro Rider

Frogman~

As with Warrior, first thing would have been a compresion test and checking the CDI out. Sense both evidently checked out ok, you may want to check your jets, make sure they're not loose, the needle clip position, fuel level, pickup coil iginition coil and as stupid as this sounds...your spark plug..put a new one in.

SilverBear

Old 07-02-2002, 10:14 AM
Pro Rider

By what you are describing it has to be in the carb. Have him borrow the carb off of another griz that runs good to see if thats the problem. Buy the way that you are describing this it has to be that carb or somthing to do with the fuel delivery. The floats may be set wrong or bent slightly causing the thing to run rich or die. The other thing is possibly there is somthing wrong with the needle valve seat. Like dirt stuck in there or whatever. Also check the slide needle. I had mine come loose on my Raptor and it caused it to run funny. The other thing it could be, this may sound realy stupid but, How much gas is in it? On my Raptor when it looks like there is enough gas in it to ride a bit there isnt. If i excellerate hard or go up a small incline it will die. This is with probably 3 or so inches of gas in the tank. Not that this is your problem but yah never know. Hope some of this helps.

Quick Reply: This is for the troubleshooting GODS!!! HELP, broke griz