Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

new to forum w/660 grizzly

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2002, 07:31 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still learning everything on the forum. Got a new grizz 660 2 months ago and love it. Wondering if anyone has a grizz w/27inch 589's on itp c-series? just wondering if they rub at all. Mine should arrive in a day or so.

Old 07-07-2002, 09:05 PM
Pro Rider

buckmaster,
welcome and congrarz on the biggest of the bears! about the tires. i have titan 589 mt on itp ceries rims, with an offset to them. my tires ar 26 in. when i put them on, i thought they would clear, till i jumped it. with the offset on the rims, and only 26 in, i hit hard on my rear fenders sides. i have since had to shave off at least 1 inch of plastic from the rear footboard all the way up to the final curve on the top of the fender. i did it real clean, so you really dont notice. i did have to cut enough off that i actually cut off the top screw connectng the floorboards to the fender. i now use zip strips, 2 on each side, to hold it together. i will be taking more pics soon to show everone the way i did it. if you look at the pics, you can see the tire change, size and all. you can also see my belt snorkles, as well as me jumping it, lol.
great quad!!! enjoy.

my pictures

Old 07-07-2002, 09:24 PM
Trailblazer

i got my tires once and they sent the wrong rear rims with a big offset. I called tech info at itp and they said you need the same rim for the front as well as the rear. With the offset they sent the tire stuck out about 4 inches past the fenders which i didnt like. It probably wouldnt fit in my fullsize truck.Hopefully the new rims will fit. I'll let you know.

Old 07-08-2002, 02:32 AM
Pro Rider

Welcome to the griz family. I think that you will find almost every question can be answered. Ya might not like the answer....but its there! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I have 27" tires on my bike and i only notice rubs on "extreme" jumps/potholes. I (normally) dont do 50 mph down a trail that is rock covered and full of holes, but now and then! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I used the stock rims and they work just fine. I have not had any problem with bending a rim (knock on wood) and hope that i never do. IF, i can increase the power on the bike (substancially) then i would think that a light steel rim would be the best for me. I have heard several stories of bent beads/rims. Guess it mostly depends on your riding style and the area that you ride in. I just dont need a really "strong" rim in the mud [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img].

Where is Elburn? I use to live in Danville and i went to school in Carbondale. I really hated the limited riding in IL....but now i live in a place that i will spend the rest of my life and never see all the trails. Let me know where ya are....there are seveal that travel up here from IL to go ride...and i still make it down there to visit family now and then...could manage to bring the bikes IF ya got a good spot! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Jonathan

Old 07-08-2002, 06:43 PM
Trailblazer

elburn is about 50 miles west of chicago. Last year i bought a 100 acres for riding and deer hunting in marshall il which is about 20 miles west of terra haute indiana. Have have a blast riding down there. Woods,creeks,big ravines, hills,mud, all that goood stuff. I have fun in Il.Talk to you guys later.