Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Sand tires, myth or truth?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2002, 11:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about the new Kenda Gecko sand paddle tires? I hear they are the best of both worlds. Anyone tried these?

Old 07-11-2002, 12:00 AM
Pro Rider

There is a pair of sand shark tires with rims on ebay right now. cheap

Old 07-11-2002, 12:37 AM
Pro Rider

Adam, Bansheewarrior has a set of Geckos on his Warrior & he doesn't like them. In my experiance whenever someone tries to make 1 thing work at 2 diffrent tasks it does neither well.

Old 07-11-2002, 01:18 AM
Pro Rider

Faster/Better, I plan on doing some runs to Glamis and maybe Pismo. Moose, always good advice along with everybody else who has responded.
Thanks to all and keep it coming.......

Old 07-11-2002, 12:04 PM
Pro Rider

Yosh:

Since it sounds like most runs will be to Glamis and I would guess the sand there is much like Sand Mt. (haven't made the trip to Galmis yet) the straights are the paddles for you.

For the Raptor and the DS the Extreme Haulers are the way to go.

Mxzx:

Doesn't shock me that there are a few people like me that have a set of Sand Sharks with about 4 weekends of use that would be willing to sell them cheap ('cause that's what they are.)

Moose:

Didn't know that about the air pressure. I will try it next trip to Sand Mt.

Old 07-13-2002, 04:12 PM
Pro Rider

I have had a set of the Gecko's and they seemed to work well as an all around tire, (they are kinda heavy), but they seem to slide well and did hook up ok. Later I ran a friend's 10 paddle haulers, now they really hook up for the drags. themoose? want to be kind of careful putting too much pressure in the haulers, since the paddles are glued on.

Old 07-14-2002, 09:46 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Ok, after 5 different trips to the dunes I finaly feel I am qualified to give a response to this type question. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] LOL.

I had Sand Sharks for 2 trips and thought they worked fine. They held me to the sides of bowls well and I felt fast in drags compared to what was around me.

I then purchased a set of 22x11x10 haulers on .125 douglas wheels and spent 4-5 days of the last 2 weeks riding in Little Sahara Utah and St Anthonys Idaho. Strait line drags, the forward propulsion is very noticable over V paddles. Hill climbs are much more satisfying and I have yet to notice a difference in turning ability and riding the sides of dunes. Actualy as for hugging the sides of dunes the Haulers worked better IMO.

Get a strait paddle and do it right the first time. Your only question should be which strait paddle to buy. The concensus seems to be the Haulers or Extremes but, others are happy with the dune hoppers and Sand devils. The choice is yours. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Good luck.

Old 07-14-2002, 11:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

wshrdskn how many paddles did you get on your haulers? What are you using for fronts? I have the sharks now and am looking to buy some new paddle sometime soon. Thanks for the great info.

Old 07-14-2002, 11:31 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Sorry, I should have stated that they are 8 paddle haulers. I have my 23" holeshots for fronts. When I had the Sharks on (which are on my stock Raptor now) I was useing the GBC dunetrackers. The dunetrackers turn you very well. A little to well almost IMO. I was coming up a dune at Pismo and had to turn up onto a flat and go up another dune and the tires dug in and spun my rear end around. I wasn't ready for it, it was a bit scary. Stock or trail tires work well for turning IMO somtimes I wish they turned a little better but they work fine for me.

Old 07-15-2002, 12:22 AM
Pro Rider

Next question Sand Devil vs Haulers?? I have had both tires and the haulers have the better bite. I ran the haulers for 2 weekends and now the paddles are failing apart. In contrast the Devils went over a year with no problems. The haulers are twice the price also. I know the extremes are the best but what about #2 Traction vs Durability and cost?

Quick Reply: Sand tires, myth or truth?