Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Sand tires, myth or truth?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2002, 10:01 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to get a set of sand tires and I'm seeing the newer designs like the sand skates with their angled paddles. Are these really any better than the traditional hauler types. I don't plan on just being a hill shooter, I'll be doing a variety of duning not just drag racing. I read the angled paddles are better for turning etc. and haulers are better for draggin'. Truth or myth.......?

Thank you in advance

Old 07-09-2002, 10:12 AM
Pro Rider

What you've read is true to a point. Angled paddles do turn better than straight paddles. And straight paddles do hook up better than angled paddles. In my experiences though, I've found the difference to be slight. Angled paddles don't turn that much better than straights, and straights don't hook up that much better than angles. I think angles are better suited for all around duning.

Old 07-09-2002, 10:47 AM
Pro Rider

Listen, forget the angled paddles. Those are for low powered machines in my opinion.

You have a built up Raptor so you should be running REAL paddles. You want to to get stuck 3/4 up the hills with angled paddles when stock Raptors are zinging by you with their straight paddles???

You can make up for the slightly less turning of the straight paddles with some front tires but you cannot make up for the lack of traction of the angled paddles. Get some Haulers or other straight paddles.

Old 07-10-2002, 11:10 AM
Pro Rider

Hey,
Thanks for the feedback RAPTORAZ and Wyoduner. Wyo, I've seen some of the pics you posted, pretty impressive areas to ride.

Old 07-10-2002, 04:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The angled paddles will work just fine. I have them on both my Banshee and my Raptor and they work great on both. I've ridden ATV's with straight paddles, and yes they do "hook up" good, but they are a little harder to slide when the powers on. For all around riding I'd go with the angled paddles. Unless I'm missing something your mods don't seem that wild, so angled paddles will work just fine for you. Now, if you have any motor mods IE: Bored, ported, head shaved Etc, then a tire with more paddles (8-10+) might be more in-line for your needs.

Rude Dog

Old 07-10-2002, 05:15 PM
Pro Rider

Another issue is that Haulers (straight) don't side hill as well as the Edges (angled) paddles do. If you are running haulers, you will really need to stay on the gas to use momentum to hold you up.

Old 07-10-2002, 08:28 PM
Pro Rider

any concerns regarding turning,etc. with haulers can be solved with body english, throttel control, and tire pressure,(a high tire pressure will allow the haulers to break free and slide, whereas a lower tire pressure will keep them in teh sand)

Old 07-10-2002, 08:59 PM
Pro Rider

Don't buy Sand Shark Type tires. I had these first then bought some straights (Hauler Extremes) and the straights made more of a difference than a pipe in the performance of my quad.

What kind of sand do you ride in? Pismo, Sand Mt., Glamis?

Dry soft sand probably the straights are much better and the difference is more noticable. Hard wet sand probably not as much of a difference and less noticable difference.

I have not found turning to be an issue with the Haulers and I think they side hill fine.

Old 07-10-2002, 09:18 PM
Pro Rider

I have to agree with faster, the haulers are a much better tire in my opinion.

I have the ssII's on my raptor and dont like them at all. Just not as good a tire in my opinion.

I will not buy another angled sand tire again. It will only be straights for me and haulers at that.

Bat

Old 07-10-2002, 11:00 PM
Pro Rider

I have to disagree with ELSANCHO, With most tires he may be right but with Haulers & Extreme Haulers more tire pressure gives more grip. It gives the tires a dome shape & lets the paddles get a better bite. I run 7 psi at the drags & 5 psi at the dunes. Anything less than 5 psi & the carcass will deform under power & give less grip.

Quick Reply: Sand tires, myth or truth?