Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Who uses Simple Green to clean their chain?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2002, 11:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is Simple Green safe to clean an O-Ring Chain? I want something that is safe to spray on and clean my O-ring chain after every ride. I was told to use WD40, but then I read it would destroy the O-rings. What's everyone's opinions? I want something that I can spray on and dissolve the old dirt and grease, before I re-lube it. I don't want to remove the chain any more than I have to.
Thanks.

Old 07-17-2002, 01:45 AM
Pro Rider

Anyone?

Old 07-17-2002, 01:58 AM
Pro Rider

Where did you read that WD40 it would destory the o-ring? I alway use it on all the bikes I had and present. Not one problem at all.
I think it would be ok to use Simple green as you mention what you want to do.
The o-ring is already lubricate. Don't use solvent on the o-ring and it will ruin the o-ring real fast....
Hope that help you....

Bill

Old 07-17-2002, 01:06 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks Bill, I read another post on this forum where someone said that WD40 would ruin the O-rings in the chain. I was told by a guy at the Yamaha shop to use WD40 to clean my chain, so that is what I have been doing, but when I read that on the forum, I got nervous. I don't want to ruin my chain, so I figured that I better ask around. So you spray WD40 on your chain to clean it? How often? I was spraying mine down after I washed it to clean the chain before I re-lubed it; I was doing this after every ride. I would like to know which is safer, and better to use, WD40 or Simple Green? I'm not for sure what Simple Green is made out of, there for I don't know if it is safe for O-ring chains either I wonder if it states on the bottle that it is safe to use on rubber?

Old 07-17-2002, 01:15 PM
Range Rover

I use the Contact cleaner from Honda Products....Works great and is safe for the chain.

Old 07-17-2002, 01:40 PM
Pro Rider

Spray silicone will clean it and help prevent rust. Whatever you do do not use a tacky chain lube. That would only act like glue and attract dirt and sand to the chain, basically maiking dirty sand paper, and wearing it out quickly.
100% silicone spyay will act as a cleaner and will not harm the rubber o-rings. Wipe off the excess when you are finished.

Old 07-17-2002, 03:55 PM
Pro Rider

Good point about the tacky lube - especially in the sand and probably not too bad in the dirt. Besides, that stuff (like Chain Wax) is tough to clean off.

Whn i'm riding the dunes I don't use any lube anymore. It just attracts sand and makes clean-up tougher. I have tried oil, PJ1, Chainwax and nothing seems to agree with sand. I have resigned myself to buying a set of sprockets and a chain once a year.

Old 07-17-2002, 05:49 PM
Pro Rider

Kerosene seems to work well for cleaning, it has an oil for a base and it seems to clean my chain very well. I don't trust WD-40, everyone thinks its OK to use it on everything. Kerosene also acts as a lube.

Old 07-17-2002, 06:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I am not saying that it would but it seems like kerosene would eat the o-rings. It might take a little more time but I use dawn and water with a stiff bristle brush.

Old 07-17-2002, 06:31 PM
Pro Rider

I don't see how it would eat the o-rings, Suzuki's manual says to use the stuff. It can't be that bad.

Quick Reply: Who uses Simple Green to clean their chain?