Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

would a stock Raptor smoke a stock LT-Z400?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2002, 02:20 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with BlueRulez about the power and modifications of the two machines. The Raptor as we know makes more power stock than does the Z400, and a side benefit to this, is going to be longevity. Since the Raptor makes it's power with less stress on the engine. The Z400 may make more power per cc, but it does it with a higher compression ratio. With the low compression ratio of the Raptor, you can count on extended engine life. It's kind of like comparing a turbo charged and intercooled 4 cylinder to a normally aspirated V8, Sure the 4 cylinder may make more power per liter, but it is also stressed allot more to make that power. Yamaha could have produced the Raptor with high compression and other mod's to make it allot more powerful off the show room floor, but they choose to detune it. I think they new that even detuned it would still make good power, but more importantly, the engine would be under less stress to produce that power and therefore be more reliable. With all that said, I still think that Z400 is a good quad, but I agree with JumpinJack, it is being over hyped.

Old 07-20-2002, 11:14 PM
Trailblazer

Well said Area51, A bunch of us will be rideing this Sunday 3 Raps and 2 Z`s. We will give everyone our revews as far as a comparison. I have to say I like the looks of the Z, reminds me of my Raptor.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I think it will do fine. All of the new sport quads are doing well. (Thank God)[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-21-2002, 12:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

I rode the Z400 and wasn't impressed. I have a Raptor with a little bit of mods.I was expecting it to have the same kind of pull that my bike has, and it didn't. The bike did seem like it rode nice, but so does the 400ex. I talked my buddy into getting the raptor instead of that Zee. Of course he had made up his mind once he climbed on mine after being on the Z400. I think that there is going to be more than a couple of bike lengths when I race one. I will say it does look alot like a cross breed. The reverse switch is the same on the Z400 as on the Raptor???[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-21-2002, 12:41 AM
Trailblazer

Dont I know you Poolplayer...........[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] See you tommorow DUDE.........

Old 07-21-2002, 02:28 PM
Pro Rider

<< If you call being beat by 2 bike lengths or so getting smoked then I guess the Z gets smoked. I on the other hand don't call it that. I call it depressing for Raptor owners that a 260cc less displacement motor can hang that close to a Raptor. The Z's are surprising ly fast. >>

Unless you're talking about 2 bike lengths within about 30 feet, I don't know where you're seeing this! I just competed in an ATV drag event at the Rock Island County Fairgrounds with my 100% stock 01 Raptor and guess what my first race was against, sho nuf it was shiny new imitation Raptor Z400. I couldn't believe just how much the plastic and controls looked like a Raptor, it does look really cool in yellow! Anyway, even my fat 255 lb *** was able to put several lengths on the Z with a considerably smaller rider over the course of a 200 yard race. I talked to the guy in the pits and we'll probably be riding together soon since he's from this area also. Then I can see how they compare as we both start modding our machines. Other guys I ride with have reported that the Z400 just doesn't pick up nearly as much as Raptors do with basic intake/exhaust mods and the gap in performance just gets wider as the displacement advantage takes over with added mods.

Old 07-21-2002, 04:28 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

It was a generalization.

Sandgod on his Z passed me at the end of a drag by a bike length at Little Sahara 1 time. The length of the drag was considerably longer than a 300' drag and my quad is geared down quite a bit. He also weighs 75 lbs or so less than me. I spank most at the beggining but lose it on the top. 300' drags are no problem. But most friendly drags out in the dunes are farther than the 300' most people set their bikes up for. My point is, that the Z's being a 400cc motor do quite well. And I agree they are a replica of the Raptor, however I like the Black and white ones.

Old 07-21-2002, 06:31 PM
Range Rover

As a current Raptor owner without any mods. I can honestly say that my Raptor is not very impressive in stock form compared to the competition. For a 660cc engine it doesn't kill the competition like I expected. I guess I thought atvs would be the same as sportbikes. I had a 01 GSX-R750 that would eat 600cc bikes like it should (150cc difference). Here's my Raptor with a 260cc advantage over 400cc bikes...&amp; yes it beats the 400cc class barely!!!!! Like mentioned before atvs are bottled up from the factory &amp; that's the way the manufactureres produce atvs.

Old 07-22-2002, 12:31 AM
Trailblazer

WHITE347LX, Good post...Several bikes is where I was at 300 yards. Not a bad bike but a lot of hipe. My freind has one and he said his Raptor is quite a bit faster then his new Z400. He races MX and wants to try it out on the track. I hope it does well for him.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-25-2002, 02:16 AM
Weekend Warrior

dude area51 is da crapp!!!!!i just purchased a 2003 raptor june 3!!!!!i have rode just about everything from stock atv to crotch rocket engines u can think of but im so tired of people raggin on da raptor!its easy ta build a good machine like the z when u stop makin one for a hundred years and watch everyone else!!!!the raptor is a very good atv and does not tip if ur strong enough to stay on it,if ur not then buy ur little Z and get smoked!!!!!its easy ta degrade such an awesome machine when its da best,if the raptor had just come out and da z had been out 2 or 3 years it would be the otha way around!!good thinkin area51!!!1

Old 07-25-2002, 02:38 AM
Weekend Warrior

A good bike is a good bike, i dont care who makes it or who ideas there ripped from, grow up ppl, get over it, both quads are great quads and they are in different class', put a 660 motor in the Z and it might handle more like the raptor, and be as fast............

Quick Reply: would a stock Raptor smoke a stock LT-Z400?