Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

SO how far and long can you ride a wheelie?!?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2002, 12:15 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the guy says he has done 5 miles but not on tape! longest I've seen for sure

Old 07-19-2002, 12:28 AM
Pro Rider

piranha, thanks for the advice. So your saying to do everything while the clutch is in. I wasnt sure whether or not it was better just to gas it real hard while in gear to bring the front up, or get it up with a sudden jolt that popping the clutch in gives u...Thanks

by the way, i can do the balance point its just that the warrior's first three gears are closes together in ratio and are low to begin with, so i get very little out of each gear...i have the trouble when i go to second cause i run out of first too quickly. thanks

Old 07-19-2002, 12:45 AM
Pro Rider

Warrior86,

The only time you'll need to pull the clutch in is to shift. Even taking off you will not need to use it. The Warrior has "plenty" of power to pull the front tires up in the first two gears with a little bit of help from you. As I recall, I could not get the front end way up in third gear, but I don't think I really tried really hard.

Yes, you are right, the gears end pretty quickly. You can "blip" the problem a couple of times which will give you a little bit more out of each gear. It's hard to explain, but you don't actually hold it pinned while doing a wheelie.

Like some of the others mentioned...Finding flat ground with good traction is needed for getting the hang of wheelies. If you are riding in a rough field you may get into trouble when you are playing near the balance point because a small rut or elevation change will bring the rear tires right out from under you and you will end up on your back. While practicing my 2nd to 3rd transition on my Banshee in my friends rough field I ended up on my back 3 times in a row. My rear grab bar was bent up on my Banshee so it made it a little more scary. For some reason I don't think it would feel good to have it land on top of me.

It also helps to make sure you can react and hit the rear brake when needed. If you can do that you can actually bring the quad back down if you do go all the way to the grab bar.

I guess Warrior620 would be able to give better tips than me because he actually has a warrior and it seems that he can ride some great wheelies with it.

Like I said, I'm not a wheelie expert...I can only get 3 gears out of my Banshee, and I'm not really sure how far in feet that would be. Maybe 200-300 or so?

Good luck with your wheelies man!

-Josh

Old 07-19-2002, 06:32 AM
Pro Rider

I pop my Warrior up as soon as I hit 2nd and wheele it threw 4th or until I run outta room. It is a lot easier now with the 20" Raptor tires on the back. The 22" Vipers I had on there sucked , all they were good for is cutting donuts in grass,dirt, sand, or almost pavement. The Stock Raptor rears hook alot better. I am going to holeshots next.

Old 07-19-2002, 12:54 PM
Pro Rider

What I do is get goin into third or fourth doesnt really matter. Stand up and preload the shocks like im gonna jump somthing then goose it. Once the front end comes up I more or less squat on the grab bar. Then to keep it up you can either keep a steady throttle to where it dont accel. or you can blip the throttle if you are in fourth. I know for a fact that the tires I have on help hold a wheely up longer but you can still use the same technique to get the hang of it. I dont like to shift its just easier for me to do what I do. Hope I was helpfull

Old 07-19-2002, 01:34 PM
Pro Rider

I think the raptors center of gravity to wheelie is pretty high which makes it hard, I can wheelie pretty far though. I think my longest was a 1/8th mile.

I like to wheelie up and down revienes and along hill sides. The best is a mix, going up or down, at a angle, along a hillside, my friends think I'm nuts.

Old 07-21-2002, 11:17 PM
Trailblazer

I always run out of room while doing wheelies, so I don't know how long I can keep it up. I know I can wheely for a really long distance though. Start your wheely in 2nd gear, not first, if you want to keep the front end up for any length of time. Just go really slow in 2nd, or you can start from a dead stop, and pop the clutch. If you actually keep your Warrior at it's balance point, you should be able to leave it in 2nd and and keep it in a wheely. But if you want to shift, or need to, do not wait until you run completely out of gear. Let off the throttle a little bit and shift without using your clutch. Be sure to shift all the way into the next gear so it doesn't slip back down. You should be able to wheely until you run out of room. I have learned from hours and hours of practice.

Old 07-21-2002, 11:37 PM
Pro Rider

if i answer, can i include the time i spent being dragged from the back on my grizzly, or better yet!!! the ammount of time i bounced and rolled??? if so, then about 15 minutes, and a ungodly 12 feet! ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!! o.k. so it wasn't that bad. i did get it to go about 15 ft or so, but fear set in, lol. i will jump the thing 40 ft, but just dont like standing it streight up!

my pictures

Old 07-22-2002, 12:16 AM
Pro Rider

Hey!

What is the best way to wheelie! Sitting down or kneeing on the grab bar? I just got a 02' Blaster which is my first quad. I would like to learn how to wheelie. I can already get it up a little, but it's a little hard for me to ride it. I would appreciate ur help. Thanx![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

blaster19[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 07-22-2002, 02:22 AM
Trailblazer

usually i start a wheelie in second on my warrior. i have a smaller sprocket in the front so the gear is slower of course. i put my right foot through the grab bar, let the motor idle down and goose it. the front end comes up easily. i don't practice wheelies much(i spend most of my time blasting trails), but can keep it up for atleast 50 yds. the balance point is alittle farther back than expected. i also have to be careful not to go back to far cuz my pipe would just hit slightly first than my bar. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]