Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

dirtwheels (Z-400 vs. Raptor)

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2002, 02:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ZMAN:

I too thought they were going to downsize the Raptor to a 450 (based on their new YZ engine) for next year based on what I was hearing from a friend of a friend that works for Yamaha. But, the latest I got (4th of July party) was the Raptor will continue to be a 660 (why stop selling something they cannot keep in stock) but, the 450 is still in the works. As to weather it will be an all aluminum frame as others have said, I have no insight. Moose is correct about Yamaha not stopping production of this quad.

Won't it be fun to see the 450 Yamaha quad against the Predator 500 next year.

This sport is going to grow very quickly with new rides and new riders. Just look at what Personal Watercraft did for boating a few years ago.

Old 07-22-2002, 03:00 PM
Range Rover

I'm just happy that the factories are producing more sport quads. When I think back to just five years ago when the sport choices to buy new were the 300EX, Mojave, Banshee, or Warrior. 300EX and Mojave were way too slow and kind of small. The Warrior was a bit better but still pretty slow and kind of a tank. The Banshee was a bit high strung with no reverse. None were right for me. Now there are so many sport ATVs out there, people actually have to do some research before making a decision, and as soon as it seems things are stabilizing, there's another new sport quad announcement. What a great time to be into the sport!

Old 07-22-2002, 03:43 PM
Range Rover

This is purely speculation. I think DW probably has alot of pressure to pump up the Z to potential customers. The last few issues of DW have had large Z ads. The shoot out that really bothered me was the cdale, z, and ex shootout. I can not believe they picked the z ahead of the cdale. Now i know they are blowing smoke. And a Z more fun in the dunes than a Raptor? Bull crap. More hp equals more fun in dune riding. DW has blinders on when it is convenient or lucrative.

Old 07-22-2002, 03:46 PM
Trailblazer

You guys are right...the raptor is of course better on a track, trail, and jumping than a Z. Why wouldnt it be...it is 30 pounds heavier and tippier.

I am not coming to this conclusion from DW...I have come to it from riding experience and common since.
What possible advantage does a Raptor have over a Z besides a few HP???

Handling...no
jumping...no
Price...no
Weight...no
Why in the hell would DW choose the Raptor?

Old 07-22-2002, 04:05 PM
Range Rover

I have only sat on and compared side by side the raptor and z. This crap about the z being only like 31.5 inches high at the seat is bull. It maybe sat a half an inch lower if at all than the raptor. And no, the raptor did not have flat tires or some fat *** sitting on it. You want to talk about tippy and all this but the people saying this crap haven't ridden one or the other, or even both of these machines. If I closed my eyes and had some one shuffle these two quads around and then told me to sit on one I would probably not be able to tell you if I was on the Yamaha or the Suzuki, they feel that similar. Dimensions wise these two quads are almost Identical despite they get these numbers using two different frame concepts. The biggest difference is the 26 pound weight advantage of the z. How beneficial is this? I don't know. But I have successfully removed fifteen pounds from my raptor by eliminating non essentials or replacing with lighter components and it has made a noticeable handling and jumping difference.

Old 07-22-2002, 04:10 PM
Pro Rider

I warned you guys...even someone who never rode a raptor or Z knows the real deal.

Z400Man a true DW man. You can't wag this dog. He knows truth when he reads it.

Old 07-22-2002, 04:55 PM
Pro Rider

LOL GOD THIS IS A GREAT POST.
You guys are funny. Very entertaining. Keep up the great work.
I quit buying Bike and ATV mags a long time ago. I Realy could not care less what some GOOBER I never met says about something I don't own.
But I seam to remember a similar amout of HYPE a couple years back about the ALL MIGHTY RAPTOR. Get over it. The Z's 5 minutes of fame will not last for ever.
But I did buy a new Sport quad two months ago.
With a lot of test rideing, and carefull thought I bought the Z.
It was already mentioned, but this is what I figureed out 2 months ago out on the trail with a Z and a Raptor.

The Z is lighter,
Has a lower center of gravity, which makes it
Better handling,
Better jumping,
And more forgiving.
That same day I watched a new Z drag a stock Banshee and win, so it was obviously not slow out in the open.

The Raptor is a great quad, but not quite as good as the Z on the trails I ride.

But you guys keep up that great whiney sarcasm.
Something must have ya wound up.
I wonder what it could be?

GOD, This is some funny $hit.
Keep it up please.
LOL LOL LOL

Old 07-22-2002, 05:12 PM
Range Rover

So i guess a Blaster would beat the Z in a dirt wheels shoot out because it costs less!

Old 07-22-2002, 05:14 PM
Pro Rider

Thats right Megacrash...casting his vote with a z400 purchase...quenching his "unhealthy need for speed" with a Z? Wait a minute...alright so thats a little confusing...but he is better balanced with his lower center of gravity. adding trails to the undefeated z's conquest of quads.

Dunes,MX tracks,drags,trails,parkinglots...Hell i bet if you pushed both out a 727 the z would beat it to the ground...landing on all four even...the raptor would just tip and roll end over end completely missing terra ferma...possibly falling off the face of the earth.

Old 07-22-2002, 05:28 PM
Pro Rider

Nope sorry NitroT...nothing beats the Z. let me explain...more experienced riders would probably agree...however, novice buyers are ocassionaly charged more for quads there-by losing the price advantage and making the new Z the perfect choice. There are more novice riders than people who actualy know the value of a quad. therefore making the z the winner of your shootout. Not to mention the top secret yellow pigment properties that make EVERYONE feel warm and fuzzy inside...no customer could lay down cash for another quad with the Glear of "Yellow Fever" in their eyes.

Still don't believe me? lets do the math..

New Blaster= $32,000.99 pesos
New Z400= $4,800.00 U.S

I'm puzzled where you all find the time posting ridiculous comments like this...when you should all be busy selling your Raptors.

God save the Z!

Quick Reply: dirtwheels (Z-400 vs. Raptor)