Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

How Fast is a stock Blaster.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2002, 06:27 PM
Mar
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys.

I was just wondering how fast a stock blaster Is with a avrage weight rider. Also how is the acceleration.

And how does the engine hold up. Is it reliable and does it last.

Thank you.

Old 07-22-2002, 06:46 PM
Pro Rider

I think the acceleration is AWESOME. I purchased mine not knowing what to expect and I was totally surprised! Have fun![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

blaster19[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 07-22-2002, 07:20 PM
Pro Rider

For a $3000 quad the acceleration is indeed Awesome [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] .

However compared to the top of the line sport quads it is marginal.

Anyway, the little beast tops out at around 55-60mph depending on the rider weight, elevation, terrain, etc.

The engine reliabilty is very good, and overall the machine is good as well. The only real complaints you used to hear about them is the drum brakes...though I never experienced problems with any I had ridden the new Blasters have switched to discs so that should have cured the problem. The new styling also looks pretty sweet, although I have yet to see one in person.

Other than that it doesn't have reverse, lacks a little ground clearance, and it has a very short wheelbase so it can be a pain in some situations and when riding with a passenger (although you aren't supposed to anyway). But Hey, for the price you are getting a very decent quad.

As for the good things...It's pretty quick and fast compared to all other quads in it's category (best bang for the buck). Some people would say that being a 2 stroke you lose reliability, but I say that it's a 2 stroke is a plus because it responds better to mods. The engine also has enough tourque down low so it is very easy to drive if you are new to a clutch...even if you are not you will still find it a plus I'm sure. Best of all, as I said before, it's cheap (the downfall to that is resale value though...be sure it is what you want before you buy it because in a year the value will be cut in 1/2).

Anyway, if you are on a budget and a blaster falls into it I wouldn't think twice about picking one up. However, if you have a little bit more to spend you may want to opt for something a few steps up, or pick up a good used quad.

Also, I see you are from Mississagua...I was just up there a few weeks ago. I couldn't believe how clean and safe Toronto was. Very nice area.

-Josh

Old 07-22-2002, 07:25 PM
Range Rover

When I got my Blaster I was really surprised by the acceleration! It also has a great engine: When the engine is stone could, two kicks are enough to fire it up.

Old 07-22-2002, 07:54 PM
Mar
Pro Rider

Its not for me its for my Bro. I got a banshee, DSbaja, and a raptor. Yes i know its a little much im going to sell the raptor to my friend and the banshee is my back up bike.

My bro is driving a Kodiak and all of his friends are buying sport bikes. So he is sort of looking to join them.. He is only 15 turning 16 in sept. He is on the small side so i think he would fit perfect on a blaster. His buddies are driving a warrior and a 350 mojavie.

Thanks guys.

Old 07-22-2002, 08:12 PM
Range Rover

WOW! A Quest (read that in another post), a Banshee, a Raptor and a DS Baja! That are alot of quads.

Old 07-22-2002, 11:29 PM
Mar
Pro Rider

The quest is my dads ATV. Its for working the feild. The DSbaja is mine, the banshee is mine, and the raptor is my older bro. Also in the family is a grissly 660 and a kodiak 400.

But my main love is snowmobiles. Some of the atvs like the Raptor, and kodiak are in bad shape an im going to sell them soon.

Old 07-22-2002, 11:57 PM
Pro Rider

what can u do with a snowmobile that u cant do with a quad?

Old 07-23-2002, 12:34 AM
Pro Rider

<< what can u do with a snowmobile that u cant do with a quad? >>

Well the answer in most places is ride on trails legally.

However, you can also go through the 1/4 mile in 12 seconds with a stock snowmobile....don't think you could do that with a stock quad.

Lots of other things as well, but you can do a lot of stuff on quads that you cannot do on sleds too.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 07-23-2002, 11:52 AM
Mar
Pro Rider

Im sorry guys. I love ATVing but to me snowmobiling is the ultimite rush and fun.

Reasons. Well the snowmobiling trail network is huge. You can go almost anywhere and there are many stops along the way. Also there is NO DUST, NO DIRT, and you stay clean and if your dressed properly warm to.

Performance wise there is no comparison period. My MachZ will do the 1/4 mile around 10 secs and top out at 212 Kph or around 130mph. I have a few mods but nothing major, even in stock form it would go over 120mph. The are low to the ground and corner very sharp. My machine make around 160 to 170 hp from a 800 triple 2 stroke. THe engine note is amazing.

The only downside is the fuel usage. I got a fuel range of about 150km on (well crap i cant remember the size of the tank but its huge.)

ATVing is also great but your limited in where you go. A tip or a fall can do a lot more damage, there is dust and everyone allways comes back dirty. And the performance is ok.

To me ATV is just a little bet of a relaxer for the wait of the next snowmobile season.

However ATV trips can also be real fun and sometimes also an adventure, but when im flying down the trails on my banshee or ds i cant help but think how much faster i would be going on my sled and how much more fun doing it.

Nothing beats crusing at 120km when the engines hardly working, the glair of the orange speedo and tach in your face well your high powered headlight is blasting though the light snow fall on a nice -15night ride.

Just my opinion.

Quick Reply: How Fast is a stock Blaster.