Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

ALL 2001 RAPTOR OWNERS

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2002, 12:47 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

don`t jump and bash me here but if we stress this as a safty issue could this not have negative effects as well

Old 07-26-2002, 09:59 AM
Pro Rider

I'm not sure how it would be a negetive effect?! Maybe you could elaborate a little more?

Thx.

Old 07-26-2002, 11:48 AM
Pro Rider

like if it is found that the tranny was found to be to weak for the power maybe they could have the power out put lowerd even more or worse limit the engine size of atvs all around (aren`t these the same people that had 3-wheelers put out of production and limited the size of youth quads) like i said don`t bash me i think it is great if you can get it fixed but it just seams that these people are out for blood with the atv industrie(if i am right about the 3-wheelers and youth quads but i`m pretty sure it was theme)

Old 07-26-2002, 12:02 PM
Elite Pro Rider

A faulty product is a faulty product and needs to be fixed regardless of the consquinces. ATV's are large enough now that they will not dissapear.

Old 07-26-2002, 02:06 PM
Pro Rider

Sent this number to my buddy that had his 01 tranny go.

Good luck guys.

This should not effect the ATV industry any differently than it would effect the motorcycle industry. It is not like it is going to make it on 20/20 or something.

Old 07-26-2002, 07:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

It might if people start getting killed. The 20/20 thing that is. Eraptoid was lucky, someone else may not be as fortunate.

Old 07-28-2002, 10:31 PM
Pro Rider

This is worthy - please pass on to anyone with a Raptor !

Old 07-29-2002, 03:16 AM
The Facility

Last fall, I would say that you guys are crazy!! Most of you long time members probally remember my thoughts on this matter. BUT I have changed my tune since then because the problem has showed up more pronounced since then.

I also agree that you guys are doing the right thing by doing this.

I have no doubt that there will be a negative impact on the sportquads from Yamaha. The CPSC issues recalls all the time and with all these manufacturers EVERY year....however,...I have did some studying on this one myself a few months ago. If there was to be a recall on the 2001 Raptor transmissions, it would be the most expensive recall in the history of ATVs AND motorcycles ever. Including the labor rates and parts [Yamaha HAS to pay the dealer a percentage over Yamaha's cost for parts for any recall parts], it would average a cost of just under $1,000.00 per unit..plus the cost of paying the customers who already had theirs done once..or twice..or three times...AND paying the dealers for this work as well. Warranty and recall fall under two different labor rates!!

This recall will cost Yamaha at least $6M and maybe more. If anyone thinks that the Yamaha motor Corparation doesn't look at that as making a considerable dent in their pocketbook, they are mistaken.

I don't believe that this will hurt sport ATVs greatly, it will just make them think twice before dropping in a streetbike engine in an ATV and calling it a day.....Yamaha should have known better.

Good luck to you guys in your efforts. I hope you get your new trannies as well as reimbursements for those who had to pay for them.

Old 07-29-2002, 11:25 AM
Pro Rider

Thank you for the support KNOWSALOT!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-29-2002, 08:54 PM
Pro Rider

hey guys once agine i say don`t get mad at me i think it is great if you can get theme to fix your tranny (you never know me and my 02 might be in the same position one day)i was just stating my what if
and knowsalot while i am young (17) and have a limited experiance with engines (but i am learning both by auto shop at school and buy buying shop manuals for my quads and working on them on my own) I think the tranny problem came from yamaha taking a motorcycle engine and redoing the tranny configureation from the original designe not simpiley sticking the engine in a quad frame and calling it a day

Quick Reply: ALL 2001 RAPTOR OWNERS