Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Warrior info

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2002, 10:46 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
I am thinking about getting a warrior, or a honda 300ex.
I am 6'3" and about 240 pounds. I am not going to get a 400ex because of no reverse and I am not going to pay that much money right now. I read an article about the warrior, and it said when they test rode the 1997 model and when the tranny heated up they recieved false neutrals. It said they would try to go to first gear on hills and it would go to neutral instead. Have any of you experienced anything like this or do you think this was just a bad bike. Are there any other problems I should look for with the warrior. I mostly ride cornfields,country back roads and woods trails. Well I hope to hear some opinions.
Thanks Steve

Old 07-26-2002, 11:11 AM
Pro Rider

hello,
well I have a 1993 Warrior and I've taken it on many day long rides and I have never had any problem and I don't beat it but ride it hard. I believe that the warrior that they tested was just bad. And If you still think the warrior has a problem get an oil cooler and that will probably solve the problem, and with the warrior or 300ex it really matters of what you're going to be using it for. good luck[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

patrick

Old 07-26-2002, 11:17 AM
Pro Rider

I own a 01. the oil feeds both the engine and tranny...after riding hard for several hours things really heat up and shifting isn't as smooth...not impossible...but noticable. Four Stroke Techs sell an oil cooler that can be added to eliminate this. I don't think you would actually need this unless/until you are riding long and hard.

If I were you i would buy used. a new warrior or 400ex is going to lose it's value the second you sign for it. New and better machines flooding the market are killing the value of these two particular machines because so many were sold. the warrior has been pretty much the same for a while...early models were'nt balanced as well. anyways you should be able to find a warrior w/mods cheap...look for someone trying to get out of their warrior and into one of the newer machines.

I would look for a warrior modded with.
1) a pipe ( e-series is popular...but any pipe will do )
2) replaced front shocks (works dual rates...Chances are the stock shocks will be worn out)
3) replaced air filter (if they did this you have less to worry about the engine)

If you ride a warrior enough your gonna end up adding this stuff anyways...Reverse does come in handy...but i could live without it. A Used 400ex (for the right price) is the machine I would recommend if your gonna ride hard. you will grow out of a stock warrior Fairly quick. A slightly modded warrior is comparable to a stock 400ex. It all truly depends on your pockets.

i own a raptor as well...when i want to scare the hell out of myself...i take the 660 to the sandpit or the MX track...but for tight woods it's the modded warrior...not to many people can keep up...but i would'nt take the warrior to the track...i'd get spanked.

Old 07-26-2002, 02:36 PM
Pro Rider

I'm 6'3", 190lbs and would not even consider the 300EX. It's really a 282cc, so it's a little small. I've riden the sand dunes on my Warrior when it was in the 90's and not had a problem, but at the dunes on 20" paddles first gear doesn't get used much anyway. I second what Raptor660RNH said about the E-Series pipe, it makes the most power out of all the pipes available, but only if you re-jet the carb. Otherwise the motor will run lean. Dynojet makes a carb kit for it with easy to understand instructions so that anyone can do it. For your type of riding I would also highly recommend a new swingarm skidplate to provide better protection for the brake disc and sprocket. The Warrior is an nice quad stock that you can add to over time. I would also recommend that you buy a used one from about 1992/3 on up. They are all EXACTLY the same except for the color of the plastic. I bought my '95 in 1998 for $3000+tax, saving at least $1500 over a new one.

Old 07-28-2002, 01:44 AM
Weekend Warrior

i have a 03 never had any problems with it. i love it on the trails reverse kicks ***.