Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Clutch doesnt seem to be engaging all the way....?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2002, 02:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello. I just got my 4 wheeler back together last night. I had the clutch pressure plate and the plates off for over 24 hours and they did get dry. I cleaned them all off and made sure they were put back together the way they came off. I put some new 10 dub-ya 30 sae oil in the tranny and got it started up. When I went to put it in gear, it lunged foward, and died. So instantly I knew the clutch wasnt adjusted right. So today I took off the case and drained the oil. I tightened up the stud, that is in the middle of the clutch, all the way to make sure it would be pulling it out far enough. I got it all back together and noticed it still does the lunging, but it didnt die. It would just kind of move around, but didnt die. So I adjusted the screw out where the cable mounts to the lever. It still rides around when the clutch is pulled in. I know there is something here that I am not seeing. I took it for a ride down the road and when I was down shifting with the clutch pulled in, but it still sounds like im not using the clutch. I did notice that the clutch plates where sticking to the pressure plate when I pulled in the clutch when the case was off. The clutch plates where moving out, but they were sticking to the pressure plate. If I would hold the clutch plates back, the pressure plate would only come out. But it only would come out by it self when I held the clutch plates. So I poured a but of oil between the pressure plate and the 1st clutch plate to make sure it was getting oil to it. I think I just need to ride it to get oil in the clutch. But it doesnt seem like something is right. Has this ever happened to any of you? If so, what did you do? I hope that all makes sence...

Thanks