Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Best ATV to buy for under $4,500

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2002, 09:07 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for a good all round quad thats in my budget, (which is pretty low lol) can you give me your opinions????
thanks

Old 08-11-2002, 09:20 PM
Pro Rider

Just look around for a while. For $4500, you should be able to find a nice used quad. Not sure as far a helping with your selection. An "all around" quad is a pretty broad description. Do you need 4x4? Do you want is to be manual or automatic. What type of riding to you do. Maybe narrow it down first between a sport or utility quad, then do your research from there. Who will ride it, just you, or will family members ride it. What's the rider experience level, etc...Luckily there's a lot of choices out there.

Old 08-11-2002, 09:36 PM
Pro Rider

You have a good point, well it'll be just for me and I have 9 years of riding experiance. Ummmm I really don't want to get involved with 2 strokes but automatic and manual don't matter too much. I've been looking around for a while and I know alot about a wide range of atv's. I like the Wolverine and Warrior but I really dont think i'm going to be able to afford one unless I find a nice used one but I prefer to get a new one, but then again everyone wants a new one but sometimes you need to get a used one.....anyways I like to hear peoples opinions because you learn the most from people who rode the machines and can tell you how it really is .......I really want a mix of a sport and a utility, 4x4 would be nice for the winter though.

Old 08-11-2002, 09:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

You could find a nice used Wolverine for around your budget. Just look everywhere and research on the internet.

Old 08-11-2002, 09:50 PM
Pro Rider

For 4500 bucks you really should not have a problem finding a good used Wolverine. Since they are now only like 5100 new try to find a 2001 or so and pick that up. In the used market patientnce and timing is everything to find what you want.

Old 08-11-2002, 09:54 PM
Trailblazer

Buy a used Raptor...You'll be happy. You can pick an '01 for around $4500.

Old 08-11-2002, 10:03 PM
RIP Dear Friend

I would go purchase a new 2 wheel drive Honda Rancher manuel shift. They list for 4,399.00 on Honda's web site. I am sure you can get one cheaper than that if you can dicker with the dealer.

Go for new.

Chet [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-11-2002, 10:13 PM
Range Rover

you could get a used 01 400ex if u wanted

Old 08-12-2002, 12:56 AM
Pro Rider

Your 9 years riding experience was on quads? If so, what did you ride before? As far as being able to give you an experienced answer, I have no where near the experience on quads as a large percentage of the guys who frequent this forum. Hopefully some of them will chime in and help you out a bit. I currently own an 02 Raptor. I previously owned a Honda Foreman. If you want a dependable 4x, I personally like the Honda's. Seriously, I tried to break the damn thing so I had a better reason to buy my Raptor, but couldn't. It is one tough, reliable SOB. As far as pure sport quads go, I like the Raptor (obviously, it's what I bought). For me, at the time, the contenders where the Bombardier DS650, Honda 400EX, and the one I chose. I'm a big guy, so the Honda was not an option. It felt like a mini-quad when I sat on it. The DS, well, no one had them in stock, I never got to try one out. The Raptor, felt a little small to me when I bought it, but that feeling went away in about 2 seconds of riding, and has never some back. With $4500 to spend, I would seriously consider a used quad. If I had sat on a DS and a Raptor, I would of chosen the DS because of how they feel to big guys. I am glad that no one had them in stock when I was looking around. If you are looking for a dual sport/utility type of quad, Polaris makes a scrambler I beleive that is supposed to be a pretty good all around quad. You will be picking middle of the road there. You have to decide whether you want a pure 4x utility, or a pure sport quad if you are looking at competing with others who have made that choice. But for an all around quad that's not as good as the pure 4x's, and not as good as the pure sport quads, you may want to consider the scrambler. You might want to talk to some guys on the Polaris forum about them. I don't really care for Polaris, but it's something for you to look at. Again, with $4500 cash, I think you should be able to buy a used 01 anything. If you go for something new, then you are limited to what you can afford. If it was me, I'd look at the used quad market. Another thing to look at if you are buying used is to stay away from the dealers. They'll take a cut out of whatever they bought the thing for. You'll wind up paying more than you have to from them. (ie Local shop has a stock 99 400ex for $5000) I was lmao when they told me the price. Anyway, good luck. I hope you find what you are looking for. Definately post this same message in some of the other forums. You will get a lot of biased opinions, so you will need to sort through all the bs. Good Luck!

Old 08-12-2002, 02:13 AM
Pro Rider

ATV's are (or were) a big part of my weekend life, I started riding when I was 5 and It was on a 80cc yamaha and I beat the crap out of it.....lol I'm pretty sure I took an 80cc farther than it should and maybye even can go. Only problem I ever had with it was I needed to get a new eletric starter cause it broke.... But I'm 14 now and i'm a pretty good rider so its definatley time to get a new one! we sold the 80cc ...it needed to go or I no I would have broke it! I've been looking around now. A used raptor sounds appealing to me I mean 660cc would be perfect even though its two wheel drive. So ya I got some more money to save up.... Its hard for a kid my age but I usually get what I want so its time to get out the lawn mower and go door to door lol....... Well thanks for all the opinions and help I'll let you know what happens...but I don't think I'll be tellin you anything soon! lol thanks