Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

I got hit by a Truck yesterday,

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2002, 09:43 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah well me and my brother in-law were driving through this farmers access road to get to some far back in the woods trails as usual, nice and slow and the farmer never had a problem with us, then all of a sudden and truck comes flyin out of a connecting road and stops as a road block, my B in-law goes to the left of the truck and the truck tries to hit him but misses and meanwhile I try to go behind him and speed down the road he came from back to other woods to hide for a while. When I was halfway past the truck when he slammed it into reverse and hit me with (thank God) his passenger side rear tire right where my footguard is and I was wedged in there. The warrior didn't seem to feel a thing but I did. I then unwedged myself and talked to the guy, He acted like he never even knew us, he always let us drive through and we always went nice and slow, then he doesn't even give us a verbal warning and just tries to like kill us. Anyway I talked to him and he must of woken up on the wrong side of the bed yesterday morning but I gave him the answers he wanted he sped back to the woods (behing my b in-laws house) to hide for a while in case he called the cops. Well my brother in law he sped down to his grandparents house (about 15 mins away) and hid his Scrambler behind there and got a ride back to his house. He saw 2 cops drive down the road where his grandparents live while he was getting back to his houe and I saw one drive by while I was in the woods. Anyway the whole point of this is why do you think he just tried to hit us? do you think some other riders speeded real fast or something and got him pi$$ed? What do you think the worst that could happen If I went back to his farm and asked him again If we can slowly ride down his access lane? thanks

Patrick

Old 08-20-2002, 11:08 AM
Pro Rider

If it really happened that way, you should have been flaggin the cops down instead of hiding. The cops would have to get an ambulance for any guy that tries to run me over.

Old 08-20-2002, 11:18 AM
Pro Rider

I have always found that if you find a land owner while you are out riding, it is always better to stop if he waves you over.

If the guy is pissed that you are on his land, tell him you are sorry and you will find another trail. He may even think you are an OK dude. Last weekend, I was in a pit, and when I went to leave, there was a guy repairing the fence, and he waved me over. I rode over, and shut the bike off. He was a cool dude. I told him I was lost, and I was trying to find the road. He said that he has to repair the fence for liability reasons, and he appreciated me stopping. Other guys just pissed him off and burned away. He said I wouldn't mind if he knew the guys who were riding, but they just rip the fence down, and this is the 3rd time he has had to replace it. I told him I did't come through any fence, just entered the forest and the trail popped out here. He said be safe, and 'I can't tell you it is ok to ride here', but if you do, just be safe.

He was kind of implying that it would be ok to use the pit on Saturday afternoons, and Sundays.

Dude was way cool.

Now the guy in the truck is a freakin idiot. You were tresspassing, and he was 'assaulting with a deadly weapon'. So you both go to court and no one wins. I think the best situation would be if the cops talked to him and told him that he made a bonehead move. But it could get out of control with you getting tresspassing tickets, going to court, etc.....

RM

Old 08-20-2002, 12:00 PM
Pro Rider

If this went down the way you said it did you have a case for a law suit. Talk to a lawyer. I know New Jersey has some very f#@ked up laws about OHV's, but assault with a deadly weapon is not justified by tresspassing.
IT sounds like you were not even tresspassing. IF there are no signs, you've been there before and he has seen you and not informed you that you were tresspassing how can that be tresspassing? You should pursue this. Sue the Bastard! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]
Even if you were tresspassing, that is a misdemeanor. Assault with a deadly weapon is a felony. What he did is 10 times worse than what you did. You might try and make a deal with him, nah, sue the bastard!
Once the District Attorney gets a hold of this you will only be a witness, the case will be out of your control. If you get a private attorney and try to sue, the lawyer will go all the way and you will have to go along. Lawyers don't pursue cases like this without a written commitment. In both civil and criminal procedures it is all or nothing. The lawyers usually make deals to expedite procedures, but you will prevail....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]
.....It sounds to me like you were riding responsibly and were nearly killed by a lunatic. It is your civic duty to keep this from happening to someone else. SUE THE BASTARD!!

Old 08-20-2002, 12:19 PM
Pro Rider

I don't know about your laws in Jersey, but if the land you were going to was only accessable by this lane, then legally he can't stop you from using it anyway.

One of my mother-in laws farms is cut down the middle by an access lane that leads to a trailer in the woods. We have offered to re-route their access road so that we can run a continuous pasture. Bottom line- we cannot stop their access.

Old 08-20-2002, 12:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

OK, This is what you should do.

Drive over to his house(in your car)and BANG! BANG! BANG!! On the door and ask him why he DILIBERATELY tried to run you and your B-in-law over with his truck. Tell him that you have thought about what could have happened, and you are SERIOUSLY thinking of pressing charges against him. If he is any kind of man he will Apologize about his behavior and you all will come to an agreement, but if he is an A$$hole(most likely) then I would TAKE ACTION!

Bottom line is, you CANNOT let anyone treat your life with this kind of disrespect. So you must make it known to him(and everyone)that you are a MAN! And will be treated as such.

I'm willing to bet that you are a young man and were scared, cause you were on his land. Well, I'm not saying that is bad, BUT when you get a little older you will realize(right then)the severity of his actions, and you have every right to defend yourself. At least you were not injured and as the saying goes "you live and learn".

Biggerisbetter.

Old 08-20-2002, 05:10 PM
Range Rover

Well said Biggerisbetter, Well Said!!

Old 08-20-2002, 05:50 PM
Pro Rider

i would suggest working it out before you involve lawyers...He may tell you one of his kids was run over by a atv 5 minutes before he caught up with you...don't turn into an arsehole like him.
if you do sue...chances are that riding area/access will be closed for good...theres two sides to every story...this guy could turn out to be remorseful. Give him a chance.

Old 08-20-2002, 09:26 PM
Pro Rider

well everyone thanks for all of the replys and heres the answers to most of your questions, everything in my story is true and not made up and yes we were driving slow as always. I just don't get why he just tried to hit us and not talk to us. It seems that he did call the cops since me and my B-in law saw 3 cops in about 25-30 mins. And yes biggerisbetter I am only 15 but didn't really care about the trespassing part since he never had a problem with us before but the part that I got hit by a truck scared me a bit. Me and my B in-law discussed it and decided that since no one got hurt that we wouldn't take any serious action. The warrior is ok too seems to be no damage surprisingly probably because he hit me with his tire (thank God again) instead of his truck. thanks for all the replys,

Patrick

Old 08-20-2002, 09:32 PM
Pro Rider

<< I have always found that if you find a land owner while you are out riding, it is always better to stop if he waves you over. >>

sorry about not adding this to the other reply but I forgot. anyway rennym whenevr someone is nice and flags me over I do stop and talk to em and they're usually pretty cool but this guy came out of nowhere in a truck and skidded into the middle of the path and then tried to hit my B in-law and then successfully hit me. I'm not trying to criticise you or get into any flame but there's a difference between flagging someone down and trying to hit them. If he was nice and would've tried to flag us down we would've stopped but like you can see in my story it went down a whole lot different,

Patrick

Quick Reply: I got hit by a Truck yesterday,