Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor won't start

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2002, 02:53 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got back from riding for a week and unloaded it, now it does not want to start at all. Didn't notice any problem while I was riding. I checked the plug, it looks fine, drained the carb and fuel tank (I was running Av gas) and put super in it; still nothing. Any ideas? Thanks.

Old 08-27-2002, 03:42 PM
Pro Rider

Is it turning over ok? Is it trying to fire at all? need more details.

Old 08-27-2002, 03:46 PM
Range Rover

Yep, turns over fine. Acts like it isn't getting any fuel to burn.

Old 08-27-2002, 10:57 PM
Range Rover

Just replaced my stator/pickup coil. (comes together from Yamaha, but it was the stator that was bad) Got done riding, shut it off at the trailer (thank goodness) and it would not restart. Of course I checked every switch and connection before I tested the stator then sent it to my dealer to test and now I'm back riding again. I tested the new part per service manual specs and still didn't get proper reading but installed it and I'm back in buisness. You didn't say you were getting spark, I wasn't. Hoped this helped.

Old 08-27-2002, 11:45 PM
Pro Rider

Raptorcam,

hopefully you will find the problem why it wouldn't start it.

My ? to you why in the world you run Av gas in your bike. Do you know AV gas is made for airplane only that run on steady rpm. Also it got chemical stuffs in Av gas that bad for your bike. Think about it. So what it cheaper to get then race gas.
Does your bike run on steady rpm? Think not! All I am saying you are asking trouble in the long run of the motor. Just run super gas and that all you need. Since you got no motor mod on it.

Just my 2 cent that all

I am not trying to start fight here.....

Old 08-28-2002, 12:13 PM
Range Rover

Sonic, did you have any other symptoms prior to not starting (not idling, etc)? Did it turn over fine? I have a feeling it may be the stator, just trying to pin it down.

Desracers, I run Av gas because it is a much cleaner burning fuel than regular pump gas. It also runs significantly cooler and creates a nice "kick in the pants" feel when you hit the throttle! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-28-2002, 09:21 PM
Pro Rider

man u must be an idiot, runnin av gas in ur bike, the octane rating is like 120, dont u know so much is good but on a stock bike its to much,u need a really modid motor to run it no offense u prolly fried the piston , if u run av gas u gotta mix it wit reg u cant run it straight retard. piston's prolly got a nice hole in it, or u burnt or dropped the valve, ide do a compression test before i bought a stator and all.

Old 08-28-2002, 10:14 PM
Range Rover

A good way to check to see if your getting gas is to turn her over a couple of times and pull the plug. Wet = gas, and Dry = No gas.

Old 08-28-2002, 10:32 PM
Range Rover

Race warior, do you ride one of those short busses with tinted windows to school. High octane fuel does not burn holes in piston's. Low octane fuel does.AV gas will will not help or hurt.

Old 08-28-2002, 10:36 PM
Pro Rider

Raptorcam

Have you done compression check yet?

Let us know about that......

Quick Reply: Raptor won't start