Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Blaster Gearing Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2002, 10:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So the stock Blaster top speed with 21 inch tires is 55 about and i read with a 15tooth (front) gearing and toomey pipes it can got 65 about. So how bout if you had 18 inch or 20inch tires cause the stock balloon tires are 21 inch how much more would you have to gear up. Would a 16 tooth with 18 inch tires be similer to 21inch stock tires with 15 tooth. Should you change the back 2. Any help or sugestions would be great thanks

Old 09-01-2002, 04:16 AM
Trailblazer

The largest front sprocket that can be put on the Blaster is a 14 tooth. There simply isn't enough room for a larger one due to the stator cover.

You can go down to a 38 tooth rear sprocket, but only after machining the sprocket hub so the chain will have clearance.

Frankly, if the Blaster motor is stock, there simply isn't enough power to pull gearing much taller than stock. Generally, installing a 14 tooth front is beneficial.

On my son's Blaster, we run 14/38 gearing for flattrack/TT racing with 18" rear tires. For general play riding, we run either 14/40 with 20" rear tires or 13/38 with 20 inch rear tires. However, this is with a heavily modified motor, which for a Blaster, runs pretty good.

14/40 gearing with 20" tires would be ~67 mph at 9500rpm (assuming the Blaster would pull 9500rpm - stock motors probably wouldn't...).

Regards,

Rog

Old 09-02-2002, 11:55 PM
Pro Rider

would my blaster work ok with 14/38 gearing with 18inch tires? and about how fast you you estimate it would go?
how heavily modified is your son's quad?
nice banshee my dad has a national porting and pipe kit on his banshee.
how much of a difference does the Vito's degree key make and i was also interested in a vito piston or somthing similar they claim is adds 5hp on a blaster so i was interested if it helped you banshee at all? thanks again for the information

Old 09-03-2002, 08:13 PM
Trailblazer

You should be able to pull 14/38 gearing with 18" rear tires. 18" tires are ~10% smaller in circumference than 20" tires (actual tire circumference varies with brand...), and 14/38 gearing is ~13% taller gearing than stock.

Since Blaster seem to respond well to taller gearing (ie - going up 1 tooth in front), you should be ok, particularly with 18" rear tires. In fact, we are planning on getting a set of 18" tires just so we can run 14/38 gearing for most of the riding/racing we do. Changing sprockets gets to be a pain.

My son's Blaster has a Toomey B1, K&N air filter, Wiseco +0.060 over pro-lite piston, shaved/lightened flywheel, Vito's +4 degree key, shaved head, modified combustion chamber, ported cylinder, V-Force reeds/cage, Pro-Design aluminum intake port-matched to the V-Force, Keihin 35 PWK Air Striker carb, 20" Holeshot rear tires, Oil Injection Block-Off, as well as lowering kits for the front and rear for Flattrack/TT racing.

We've have the cylinder off the engine twice this summer just to squeeze a little more power out of it for TT/Flattrack racing.

As far as I know, the Vito's piston is a quality piston. I even considered using one on my son's Blaster. I know several Blasters that are using them which we race against. However, a good port job will do the more than the Vito's piston at less cost. We have out ran Blasters that had a Vito's piston when ours was just mildly ported. The port job we have now is a little more extensive. We could not get the power we have with just a Vito's piston alone. The cylinder would have to be ported (intake, transfers, and exhaust) with the Vito's piston taken into consideration to make similar power.

Regards,

Rog

Old 09-03-2002, 08:26 PM
Pro Rider

2 questions,with 20 inch rear tires and a 14 t sprocket should speed be about the same as stock???,and does the vitos piston give low mid or high power mostly??

Old 09-03-2002, 08:41 PM
Pro Rider

thanks again for all the information that is very helpfull and your son's blaster sounds awesome
if i were to get porting where would u sugest i get it?
and i'm not that educated in types of sprokets is there is a certain brand that is better or worse or better value and i was intersested what the reason was for the the oil injection block was it for more power or just convienence or somthing and what lowering kit did u use i was interested in doin a bit of ice racing in the winter so lowering would be needed. My dad enters in a 24h race and a few 6h races (not the oval ice races) good luck to your son at the tt races

Old 09-03-2002, 09:45 PM
Trailblazer

Peltrax:

The stock tires are somewhat "ballooned", as you know. This tire flattens out somewhat when being ridden so the actual diameter of the tire is very near what the diameter of the 20" Holeshots we run. While I haven't actually measured the circumference of the stock Blaster rear tires (I don't have any mounted up that I can measure to compare to the Holeshots), I would expect that the overall gearing of the quad to be virtually the same, therefore basically the same speed with the Samegearing.

The Vito's piston should give more mid to top power. The piston has a relief cutout on the exhaust side of the piston which effectively increases the exhaust timing by 1.5mm, as well as larger ports on the intake side. These combine to give more mid to top power. The piston also has a more pronounced crown to increase the compression to compensate for lost compression due to the exhaust port side which should give better bottom.

ToomeyBlasterRyder:

Regarding porting, I personally prefer to use local engine builders. That way if I have a problem with tuning, jetting, or just need some advice, I don't have to be confined to the telephone. Being able to speak to someone person to person has it's benefits. I used a local guy to do the porting on my Banshee and my son's Blaster. He does excellent work. He even used to road race Banshees back in the early to mid '90's.

I generally buy my chains and sprockets from
Rocky Mountain ATV where I've found they have good prices and good customer service. I do avoid aluminum sprockets, and normally just purchase the "Final Drive" brand. For the non-normal tooth sizes, I order them through a local shop.

I removed the oil injection system after modifying the motor. I wanted to be sure that oil was getting to the engine, without worrying about clogged lines, failed injector pumps, etcetera. Plus, I could use the same gas/oil pre-mix in both the Banshee and Blaster.

The rear lowering kit was handmade by myself and a friend. The front was made by a local shop that caters to the Flattrack/TT racers.

Regards,

Rog

Old 09-03-2002, 10:04 PM
Pro Rider

sorry for buggin u with all the questions but u have been very helpfull thankyou very much

With my tire i have for the dunes (20inch) would it work better with just the going up to to the 14t in the front? Also do you run racing gas or just premium? How does your banshee work how much more hp do you estimate it has my dad was just wondering. He has the duncan-racing nation porting and pipe kit along with some other stuff and duncan claimes the kit adds around 50% more power. Thanks again for all your help!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] I might even consider doing some porting or adding that piston now so that i could pull the higher gearing better.

Old 09-03-2002, 10:09 PM
Pro Rider

i forgot to ask you about what the top speed would be of 14/38 gearing with 18inch tires would it be above 60mph thanks

Old 09-03-2002, 11:48 PM
Trailblazer

Hey, I don't mind the questions. Just hope I can answer any that you might have.

I would most certainly go up one tooth in the front even with a stock motor, particularly if it's piped. You should find that 14/40 gearing works real good.

The Vito's piston is about $140 bones, and I had my son's cylinder ported for $150 for a much improved power output. Go with the porting.

The guy who ported my Banshee and my son's Blaster works here: K & N Yamaha. He's worked here for 20+ years.

I run race fuel in my banshee (I have 210 lbs of compression), normally C-12 or B32. My son's Blaster runs race fuel as well. His compression is 173 lbs - right at the threshold for needing it. Since it's an air cooled motor, I run B35 (101) in it. We can, and do occasionally - though rarely, run pump 93 in the Blaster when we can't get race fuel.

I haven't dyno'd my Banshee yet, but it runs fairly well. I hope to be near the 60 hp mark. I'm still running stock carbs, don't have any boost ports, and my cases aren't port matched yet, nor is my crankcase stuffed yet. Hopefully, I'll have all this done in the near future. First I've gotta get my son another quad to ride. He's outgrown his Blaster (he's 16).

14/38 gearing with 18" tires would run ~64 mph at 9500 rpm.

Regards,

Rog

Quick Reply: Blaster Gearing Question