Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Can anybody help a girl out with suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2002, 12:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK...I give up. Thought I could figure this out on my own, but, I'm not gettin' it figured!

I have an ''02 Warrior, my brother and husband ride dirt bikes (KTM and KDX) and I just got my husband a W.E.R. steering stabilizer for his KDX. They both swear by them, and my brother told me I should get a stabilizer for my quad. I'm thinking maybe I need to get full use out of my existing (stock) front suspension and see if that will accomplish basically the same thing, before I start checking into stabilizers. I've hunted everywhere on the web for a site like Racetech that will figure my proper shock spring rate for my weight, ability, etc. I can't find one anywhere.

What do you guys do for maximum stability and performance in front suspension? Is there someplace I can go to find the right set up for me? I'm 114, 5'4", and ride....well, not sure what you would classify it....I keep up with the guys on their dirt bikes as long as it's wide enough to get the Warrior through. Do I not worry about springs and shocks? Do I keep stock and add a stabilizer? Do I skip a stabilizer and get after market shocks? I realize the stabilizer is a completely different deal from the shocks and springs, but I'm thinking if I get my shocks up to snuff, I can either skip the stabilizer or the stabilizer would be even more efficient if I added it to a front suspension that is right on the money.

Hate to be a dummy, but really need some help.

Thanks guys!

Old 09-23-2002, 01:29 PM
Pro Rider

Warrior stock shocks are worthless...start saving for a set of Works dual rates...they're cheap and by the time you figure your stock shocks out you'll need a new set anyway.

get a stabilizer...Dentonracing.com makes one that will mount easy and even easier for you to adjust. the shock and stabilizer perform diffrent jobs however. the stabilizer calms down the twisting motion of your handle bars whereas shocks calm down the up and down motion of your wheels.

have you ever hit a stump or rock and had the handle bars ripped out of your hands so violantly you sprained your thumb...well,a steering stabilizer could have avoided that. more importantly when your riding long lengths of time your arms are correcting bump steer and small jolts hear and there. this fatigues you as time go's on. a stabilizer calms all that down so less kinetic energy is going through your arms.

you'll never ride your quad without one...once you've installed it.

if your wondering what a dual rate shock is. imagine your front stock shock. instead of one thick spring...you would have two...one thick spring on the bottom and then a second sitting on top of that which is less thick. as you hit small bumps and rocks. the smaller spring sucks them up. allowing the bigger spring to handle the bigger bumps.

warrior front shocks can only be adjusted for ride height. and before you start adjusting your shocks remember... what ever changes you make to the front efects the rear and vice versa. i applaud your desire to learn...just make small adjustments if you must...and somehow mark where the stock settings were so you can get back to the original setting if you need too.

good luck.

Old 09-23-2002, 01:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

First of all I would like to say that it is great to see a LADY(s) in ATVing!!!! Especially one who seems willing to learn and inquire about HER quad as you just did.Thats cool as h@ll!!!!

Anyway, The basic rule of thumb is to take a measuring tape, and lift the rear up of the quad, so that the rear shock is FULLY extended, then have someone take a measurement from the ground to the top of the bumper. Then set on the quad and grab the front brake and rock back in forth, just to make sure that the quad is level with your wieght on it, Then sit in a normal riding position and have someone take another measurement from the same two points(ground to bumper). There should only be a 3 to 4 inch difference depending if you like your suspension alittle stiff,or a little soft.

Make the changes to your shocks to get the desired "sag", After you do the rear do the front the same way.

NOTE: make sure you have the shocks warmed up before making the changes. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!

Biggerisbetter.

Old 09-23-2002, 04:55 PM
Pro Rider

If you are not bottoming out the shock(using all the travel) i would adjust your shock to full soft so you will have better handling...steering dampeners work great even better on a quad than a motorcycle!!The best set up in the woods seeems to be lots of sag so if you get shocks make sure to tell em!

Old 09-23-2002, 07:37 PM
Pro Rider

Awesome...thanks! I've been watching this site for some time and doing a few searches regarding steering stabilizers....seemed you guys didn't talk about them much, so I wasn't sure if anyone used them. Most info in the steering, suspension, tires section had to do with shocks. Glad to hear Raptor660s comment regarding never riding a quad without one, once you have installed one. My brother, and now my husband (just got his on and tried it out yesterday) absolutely swear by them. And, yes, I have had the experience of hitting so stinking hard on something unforeseen on the other side of a jump that I bloodied up my right hand and sprained my index finger. That pretty much sucked because I type for a living.

Thanks Biggerisbetter for the info on setting with proper sag. I'm familiar with the whole sag thing because of helping my husband reset his after getting his shocks done. I did manage to get the back done (with hubby measuring for me) but haven't done anything at all with the front yet.

OK...so it sounds like I need to get after market shocks, will check out the Works site for sure, and will look for a steering stabilizer. When I ordered my hubby's, I saw that W.E.R makes one for the Warrior. Anybody have any experience with W.E.R? I hear lots of good things about Denton racing products, maybe I should stay with a trusted name?

thanks so much for the help guys!

Old 09-23-2002, 08:12 PM
Trailblazer

Hey lady you might want to try going with a different set of handlebars. I had a set of bars that came off of my yazoo that I put on the superquad and they did fine. It didnt seem to vibrate as bad after I put them on. Just a thought.
SirClip

Old 09-23-2002, 09:53 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Dang, wheres all the woman like this in my life? 114 lbs 5'4" and rides. My wife rides but takes no intrest in any other aspect. Wouldn't know a shock from a stabalizer. You've gotten good advice here, good luck.

Old 09-24-2002, 02:33 AM
Pro Rider

Yes, I have gotten some good advice here, and I really do appreciate it!

I try and do my own research and work, maintenance, etc., on my own quad. Mainly to learn how the whole thing works, and to not have to bother my hubby to take care of it for me. It's been a challenge considering I started out with the mechanical aptitude of a deer....but, I learn a lot from all you guys, and just getting in there and doing it.

This is a great site, one I use on a regular basis. Gots to round up some tires now, and will probably bother you guys for advice on that also...

Thanks again for the help!

Old 09-24-2002, 05:01 AM
Range Rover

Hey wshrdskin, how do you know her weight and height?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] I didn't see it in her post? HHHHMMMMMMMM Hope the "hubby" doesn't look around this site. Just Kidding! I think it's awesome too to see women correspondence in this forum. Maybe, some of the "truck drivers" and their um words that they use will clean up a bit. Doubt it!
Good luck with your suspension dilema. I am going to purchase the Denton (rebuildable($12)) aluminum stabilizer myself and also make my tippy Rappy less tippy with new Elka shocks, a-arms, longer swingarm and wider axle. I can't wait for it all to come together!

Old 09-24-2002, 12:09 PM
Pro Rider

Scratchnbuldg,

Felt kinda stupid publishing that info regarding size, but I was hoping someone had a majic formula for getting the proper spring rate, etc. It's OK about the truck driver lingo! My brother has a masters in Potty Mouth, and he's my huntin', fishin', ridin' buddy and very best friend. I can take it.

Took a look at those Elka shocks. How do they compare with Works? Any advantages or disadvantages between the two? Also was wondering about the rebuildable stabilizer? Is that something I could tackle? Or do I need to just go with the $139/$159 unit?

So many questions! Gosh, I feel like a pest. I wish I could just sit and pick ya'lls brains.

That's funny what you said about your Raptor. That is the main reason I shyed away from it.....TOO tippy for me, and just a hair too wide for the trails. More than likely, too much power for the woods too.

Quick Reply: Can anybody help a girl out with suspension?