Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

My test of the Dyna banshee ignition.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2002, 06:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased the Dyna FS programmable ignition from Pro-flo.com last Tuesday. I also ordered their filter kit for stock carbs. With standard shipping, I received the ignition on Friday and the filter kit on Saturday. They were the cheapest place on the ignition at $280, and the same as Toomeys filter setup at $50. The sales assistance was excellent, shipping time was satisfactory, and I have talked to them twice today with helpful results. I will most definetly be doing business with them again.

Now, for the ignition. I purchased it with the intent of running it on my TT bike. A friend challenged me to race his banshee with similar mods on sunday, so I installed it on the playbike first. Installation was too easy. I had it bolted up and plugged in in 2 minutes and 13 seconds. It took another 2-3 minutes to find a place to tie the curve selector switch and tie the wires up. It fired right up using the stock curve. A quick trip down the road proved my 270 mains were not fat enough with the added spark energy from the ignition. Since I only wanted to have to jet for one curve, I picked the curve that resembles stock but has more final timing.

I always go way rich and bring the jetting down, so I popped in a set of 310 mains. Short ride and plug check showed all the signs of being WAY too lean. I traded the 310 for 330's. The top end jetting is perfect. I had to go see my girlfriend in the hospital, so this is as far as I got. Sunday, was the first time I took an extended ride with it. After it warmed up, I took it down the highway. The difference was night and day. I weigh 270 lbs and the bike used to throttle the front tires up in 5th. With the dyna ignition and going from a pro-design pro-flow filter kit with no airbox lid to the Pro-flo kit, I changed my mains from 270 to 330 and it will pull the front tires in 6th!!!! All that is needed is to slam the throttle open when sitting just below the powerband. This thing is awesome. Remember, it is non-ported with 21cc domes on pump gas and stock carbs. After it got hot, it started running odd. If you eased throught the throttle it would run fine. If you punched it from 2000-3000, it would start blubbering. I think this might be due to pump gas, so I will switch to race and see if it helps. It would still run fine on top end though.

Well, I smoked my friend and he was amazed. I am going to order the programming kit so I can make my own curves and also have the option to set a rev limit. If anyone is interested in knowing what happens, please let me know and I will post. Otherwise, I won't waste my time.

Old 09-23-2002, 07:32 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the informative post, please do post back and let us all know what the outcome is. I have been looking at these and have not made up my mind yet, but your info is about what I hear others say.

Bat

Old 09-23-2002, 09:57 PM
Pro Rider

please update im a 4 stroker but want a shee too

Old 09-25-2002, 12:38 PM
Pro Rider

I am glad to see someone is interested. I haven't had a chance to mess with it. I am first going to try to lower my needle to see if it takes care of my problem. I am not one to tell stories. This bike really will stand straight up in sixth gear with 270lbs of white boy on it.

Batoutahell: You are going to have one badass banshee when you are done![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-25-2002, 11:48 PM
Trailblazer

i would definately like to hear more.. ive got a new 'shee and im soaking up all i can on info for future mods. thanks!

mike

Old 09-28-2002, 11:52 AM
Pro Rider

Well, what I thought was jetting wasn't. I was worried about timing advance and jetting and overlooked the ground strap. It is black. I tried a new plug and after about 3 minutes of riding, it became black too. From what I have seen and heard, this is a sign of ignition problems. Either the stator, coil, or cdi. I put it on the TT bike and the same thing was happening. I haven't had the chance to contact Dyna, but I will on Monday. I hope I can get it lined out because this will be one heck of a ride when done.

Old 10-01-2002, 01:28 PM
Pro Rider

I called Dynatek and explained to Ramon (their only tech guy) what was happening. He said it was probably an output transistor. He also said they have very few problems with this on the banshee ignitions compared to their others. I sent it back. I will let everyone know what happens.

Old 10-09-2002, 01:15 PM
Pro Rider
Default My test of the Dyna banshee ignition.

I was busy monday and didn't get to call Dynatek until late. Scott, the guy I talked to said the ignition was slated for replacement. They were out of them though. It was going to be a couple of weeks until they could build more due to backordered parts. I asked if I found one of their dealers that had one on the shelf, could they send it to me and then work it out with dynatek so I could have the ignition for the weekend. He said that would be fine. Tuesday I called Sudco and found that they had a couple in stock. I told the guy at Sudco what was going on and what Scott had said. He put me on hold and called Scott. When he came back, he said that Scott had told him to send it next day air to me in Missouri from California! I am eagerly awaiting the package.

The guys at Dynatek assured me that this isn't a common problem. So far I am impressed with their customer assistance. I will let you know how it works out.